Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Sailboat kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Sailboat kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:20 PM
r/cmark42
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sailboat kit

I've enjoyed building all sorts of kits over the years. now my neighbor and I are looking into building our own sailboats and racing them on our pond. Does anyone have any reccomendations on a kit? I think we would like something in the 30" to 40" range. I have put together Dumas kits before and pray there are better options out there. Thanks in advance for any assistence!

Mark
Old 01-07-2007, 08:29 PM
bipeaddict

Default RE: Sailboat kit

he American Model Yacht Association (www.modelyacht.org) is the governing body over R/C sailboat racing. The most popular sailboat for the begining sailor/racer is the Victor Soling one meter. Over 10,000 S1Ms have been sold and 746 were registered to active AMYA members at the beginning of 2005. This small-sized yacht must be purchased from the exclusive supplier, Victor Model Products (http://www.victor-model.com/) and is offered as a kit, partially assembled or as a ready-to-sail boat.

This kit is very inexpensive. The cost is for the kit is $126 which doesn't include the radio gear.

The www.solingonemeter.org website has building, tuning, and sailing tips. There are very active racing fleets throughout the country.

The specs are

Length: 39.30" Beam: 9.25
Height: 64.5" (approx) Keel Depth: 8.5" (approx)
Sail Area: 600" sq. Weight: 10 lbs.

So you may want to check this out.

I own two of these boats and I am working on a third. They are easy and fun to sail but you have to really know how to sail and tune the rig in order win a race.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 PM
r/cmark42

I should of figured there was a special group out there doing such a thing. My neighbor is a sailing freak and might just get caught up in this thing (if I don't first).
Thanks for the information, I'll get right on it
Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
r/cmark42

Bipe,
I just checked this boat out and looks like the perfect size. do you know of any wooden options?
thanks again!
Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its a wooden boat you want why not build one from plans? there are lots of them available i built this one its a one metre boat and its legal if you build it to spec.if its just for a fun boat you can uses whatever materials come to hand .i built mine using balsa planks and glassed the hull after sanding.she sails very well too shes the luna rosa,i changed mine a little from the plans but shes a great little boat and was my first sailboat .there are also many other one metre boats available from free plans and if you decide to do it this way you will save a lot of money.especailly if you make your own sails too heres a link to some plans and a build thread on the luna rosa.also check out the amya site and download the us one metre build instructions they tell you all you need to know about building a boat.[link]http://www.velarc.it/eng/plans.htm[/link]

[link]http://www.renatoc.it/Modellismo/MieiModelli/LunaRossa/lunarossa.html[/link]

[link]http://www.modelyacht.org/us1m.html[/link]
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62386.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	593508   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45209.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	593509  
Old 01-08-2007, 08:43 AM
bipeaddict

r/cmark42,

Frankly, I do not. The second most popular boat for racing is the "East Coast 12". It is larger and more expensive than the Soling. Since the class is a one design, the hull is fiberglass from a certified mold and builder. However, you can build the deck from wood if you wish. Information on this boat can be found at http://www.ec12.org/.

This is a builders boat about 59 inches in length, a mast standing 72 inches above the deck supporting about 1200 square inches of sail and weighing around 24.5 pounds.

However, this boat is much more expensive than a soling with just the hull, no deck, rudder, ballast, rigging, or radio gear included cost$225 - $250.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 AM
martno1fan

mind you if you want something faster than any mono hull you could build one of these fromm plans ,i have plans for one right now a mini 40 they are 48" long and mast is upto 7ft tall with light rig .either way enjoy the video hers the thread about the trimarans on this site big things happening over the next few months too keep watching..[link]http://www.modellbauvideos.de/index.php?id=64[/link]

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5101037/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]
Old 01-08-2007, 10:40 AM
LtDoc

r/cmark42,
You know, that 'wooden options' thing got me to thinking. I can't think of any sailboat kit (off hand) that requires you to build a wooden hull. I can see why they might not be the most desirable things in the world because of weight (and I'm not a huge fan of planking anyway). And then again, weight isn't that big'a deal unless you plan on racing.
- 'Doc

PS - My memory isn't exactly the best in the world so my not remembering any wooden sailboats doesn't really mean much.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
r/cmark42

Thanks for all the suggestions. My eyes are open wide to another great aspect of this hobby. I've shared all suggestions with my neighbor. Right now we are leaning toward the Soling 1m.
If anything else comes to mind, please keep the suggestins coming!
Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 AM
martno1fan

doc since when is a glass hull lighter than a balsa on plank hull covered with 80g cloth.id like to see anyone build a glass hull as lite!!.its just not possible by the time you get the glass thick enough to hold its shape it weighs twice as much as any balsa hull ive ever built.the only reason glass is used is for mass production and strength .as far as weight is concerned give me balsa and lite cloth anyday.most racers cant be bothered to build ,same as most people they just want a boat thats ready to go in a cpl of hrs.a wooden hull will last long after those so called glass boats have cracked and chipped to bits if its well built in my opinion.ive never bought a hull yet and probably never will id much rather build one myself and know i can build it strong and lite and id put my boat up against any same sized glass boat and know mine will weigh a lot less.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:43 AM
LarryLudwig

I can beat balsa for strength to weight ratio using S2 glass and divinycell. Balsa will also take on water, talk with the Star 45 guys. Also reference the EC-12 boats with balsa decks. Their life expectancy is less than 2 seasons. I saw a guy drop his screwdriver while adjusting his boat and it went clean through the deck. Also, when balsa decks are used, they require more support bracing underneath than a good glass deck weighs without support. I love watching balsa decked boats bowing at the chainplates when the winds come up.

As far as longevity, I have 3 boats here 30+ years old, only the one with the wooden deck is not sailing, because it's cracked from age.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 AM
martno1fan

larry thats not true balsa does not take on water if its sealed at all whatsoever and yes glass is stronger but you cannot build a glass boat as light in my opinion ,ive never found one or seen one yet.all my decks are made from plywood if i need planks on the deck i use either thin balsa over the ply or veneer for effect.my point was a balsa skinned hull with a thin layer of glass is lighter than a purely glass hull and i stick with my opinion.i also built full size boats from wood and some from glass!.if wood is cared for it will last more than a lifetime.by the way not once did i ever mention using balsa as a deck but while were on the subject it can be used if common sence is used and blocks are put under for attaching shrouds and such to.also glass over the top with very thin cloth to add strength.still lighter than a glass hull100% ,ive seen all manner of boats the same size as mine none are as light and she is not weaker whatsoever.nor does she bow anywhere im a professional boat builder by trade and if a boats built right its built strong.by the way i have a mtb boat built from balsa and a fibreglass hull of similar size the whole balsa and lite ply boat is lighter than the glass hull shell!!.ive never known any glass hull to be lite and they all bow sit one on a rack for a few years and take a look at it more bows than a fidler!!.the only negative wood has in my opinion is you have to spend hrs building and preparing and finnishing,hang on thats a possitive at least to me as its what i enjoy doing.and what better way to get your first boat sailing knowing you built it all every last peice of it and didnt sell out and buy a ready made glass hull yuk!!.just joking .
Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 PM
r/cmark42

Ok, could be dumb question but I have to ask before making final choice. what are the pro's and cons of a catamaran? Surfing around, I stumbled on a cat called Wildcat. It has 32" lenght, 18" beam, 46" hieght. One reason I'm asking is the keel is only 4" and would help me out on my small pond. I have R/C sailed in the past (not raced) with a small Kyosho
Old 01-09-2007, 05:56 PM
LtDoc

...psst...martno1fan, you haven't seen how I build balsa hulls - lol.
- 'Doc
Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 AM
r/cmark42

OK, the damage has been done. Just ordered 2 - Soling 1M's My neighbr and I got together (beverage in hand of course) and taking into acount all opinions, suggestions, pond size and our wallet size, we made this choice.
Thanks to all, we are really looking forward to this.

Mark
Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
LtDoc

Mark,
Congratulations! You've just accomplished the hardest part of the whole thing, deciding 'which' and then ordering it (them). The rest of the process is just fun. Eh, that 'fun' does come in various 'levels' though, ranging from, "Oh well, I can fix that.", to , to "Wonder why I did that?", to, "Oh sh^#!, now what!?" - LOL. You'll know you've 'arrived' when some night your eyes pop open and you suddenly know how/why something ought to have been done instead of how it was done... bet you've been there before, right?
Enjoy!
- 'Doc
Old 01-10-2007, 11:53 AM
r/cmark42

Thanks doc...
going through the process of teaching myself how to fly R/C planes, I know what you mean by oh sH^#!, now what? How did that happen?
...and I can't wait!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
martno1fan

oh my god no you didnt order the soling? two of them oh god noooooo,just kidding mate good choice im sure you will love them they look nice .have fun with them and dont forget to fully charge all batterys before you launceh them!!.by the way mark been there done that teching myself to fly bit gave that up last year and chose sail boats and i can only say my nerves are a lot better now ive stopped flying err crashing lol .hers a thread all about my crash and the following rebuild lol.[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3222955/anchors_3222955/mpage_1/key_well%252Ccrashed%252Ctrainer%252Cmorning/anchor/tm.htm#3222955[/link]
Old 01-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Guiri

That's one of the joys of sailboats; you don't (or shouldn't) have to worry about which way to twiddle the sticks when the model's inverted.[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 01-11-2007, 11:12 AM
LtDoc

...learned to fly before ever building the 'smaller' planes. Love building them, just can't fly the @#$ things! Flying the big ones is sort of 'hard-wired' in, you know? Flying the 'smaller' ones just ain't the same, keep expecting the 'seat of my pants' to tell me what to do, and it doesn't. (Whole new meaning to the term "dumb *****" - lol) Oh well, makes for a good excuse anyway...
- 'Doc
Old 01-11-2007, 02:34 PM
martno1fan

lol doc didnt realise you flew im not sure been able to fly full size helps flying these things either.i think id rather fly a full size plane than one of these ,my cousin is over in houston and hes a pilot for one of the airlines and has his own buisness flying vip,s for the white house lol friends in high places lol.hes been over there since age 18 ,he did a scholarship and learnt to fly over there and fell on his feet with his tutor who offered him a job and hes not looked back to be honest am i jealouse YOU BET !!by the way i just listed my planes on ebay i cant stand the stress they cause me lol sail boats are much more relaxing .
Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 PM
r/cmark42

LOL...I'm begingin to get worried about who you sailboaters. Sounds like you all have a few busted props in your closets. come to think of it...so do I!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:51 AM
bipeaddict

r/cmark42,

Now that you have ordered your kits it is time to consider some hop-ups. These hop-ups can be found at www.gbmy.com under the Pekabe Blocks and Fittings category.

#163 and #185 clean up the installation.

#173, #185 and #176 are some more options.

You might want to consider a couple of item #161 at the end of the servo swing arm to reduce friction and lower the load on your servo.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 AM
r/cmark42

Nice, thanks...not having my kit in hand yet, how many of each do I need?
Old 01-13-2007, 04:24 PM
cwahl

Try these links for a lot of info on the Soling One Meter

http://www.solingonemeter.org

and the mailing list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/solingonemeter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.