Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Is there a ground version of a sailboat?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Is there a ground version of a sailboat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:34 AM
hummingbird3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a ground version of a sailboat?

Maybe you've seen a rollerlbade version of snow skiis. I thought I saw a sailboat with a tricycle wheel setup that is the land version of a sailboat, but I don't know of the brand and who sells this. Has anyone tried these and is it a good training device for sailboating?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Is there a ground version of a sailboat?

hummingbird3d,
Usually called a land-sailer or land yacht(sp) and there are quite a few different models. Their biggest 'draw-back' is finding a large enough, empty, parking lot to run them (at least for me, where I live, and the particular one that I have). They are sail/wind powered which is really the only thing they have in common with sailboats. Land sailing is much faster, not as much friction as in water. You do have to be able to control the sail, just like a sailboat, but it isn't exactly the same thing (terrible way to put it, but I'm not sure how else to say it). Try it, you might like it.
- 'Doc
Old 02-03-2007, 09:03 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

ORIGINAL: hummingbird3d

Maybe you've seen a rollerlbade version of snow skiis. I thought I saw a sailboat with a tricycle wheel setup that is the land version of a sailboat, but I don't know of the brand and who sells this. Has anyone tried these and is it a good training device for sailboating?
There use to be a manufacturer right there in your area called RC Sailcars.
Their website is closed down now [link=http://www.rcsailcars.com]rcsailcars.com[/link]. I just checked. I bought a Sailcar from them about three years ago and ran up against a snag with the sail servo and set it aside and forgot about it. Since the wind will be coming up for the spring, I just pulled the Sailcar out and got it ready. Then found myself here looking for any more information I could find.
Now watch, the wind will never come up now. But I am covered with several light electrics to fly just in case.
They are most often called Land Yachts (by the big boys that ride in them) or Land Sailers (by the RC guys) and there is a User's Group on Yahoo that I have subscribed to for the past three years. I get a couple emails a week just eaves dropping in on the discussions about how to make a hi-tech mast or wing sail. There are users all over the world there and some even sail on the frozen lakes back east with metal ice skate-like runners.

[link=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IRCSSA/]International RC Surface Sailing Association at Yahoo[/link] "Surface" Because they didn't want to alianate the "frozen water" sailers.

They have Regattas all over the world too. There is usually one up in my area once a year on a dry lakebed near the California/Nevada State Line. Maybe I will get up there this year. They have full size and R/C models all at the same time. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:58 PM
locosteamer

Hey Team America, we got one of the top notch land sailers right here in our area, Big Bear. He makes a great landsailer kit and Robert is a wonderful and generous man to deal with.
http://www.modellandyachts.com/
Bob
Old 02-04-2007, 11:59 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

I knew there was a guy up there that had some Land Sailers. He came down and visited Rabbit once and I got his email address and tried to email him with no response. He said he was the same guy that use to sail at Mile Square back in the early '90s too. He manufactured a nice Land Yacht and I wanted to purchase two of them from him when my son was young. He never called back so that never happened. My son is 25 now.

I finally purchased this one on ebay but it is nothing like the ones from Big Bear. Where does he sail them in Big Bear?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:34 PM
locosteamer

I believe they go out to El Mirage, which is closer to you, once a month. He is a full size land sailer too; in fact a champion. I am surprised that he never answered you, he was very nice to me and communicated freely. You should contact him again
Bob