Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Odyssey

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

Thunder Tiger Odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:43 AM
periscope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Odyssey

Hi All - Just wondering if anyone has built, or can give me any info on the performance 0f the Odessey. I should mention at this stage that I have no experience with sail boats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 10-18-2009, 04:58 PM
larrykin

Default RE: Thunder Tiger Odyssey

Hi Ian,

Hi All - wonder if anyone has built the Odyssey by Thunder Tiger - I'm looking for a starter yacht (no experience sialing) and I like the look of this model more so than the Victorias which some of our club members have. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian
I'd strongly recommend you go with the Victoria. You get a proven boat and support from other members when you need to do all the mods to get the boat sailing. The Oddessey looks like a child's toy boat. Lots of deck clutter which is OK for display but not for sailing. From my experience with Thunder Tiger boats the hulls are OK. The sails, mast, booms, rigging all need replacing. The deck furniture needs to be junked. You also still have to buy and fit the sail/rudder servos and get a radio. That's another £100 you need to consider.

Visit the Victoria website and see the support. You'll get all the info you need re rerigging. From memory should cost you about £250 to get a boat in the water.

Larry L.

Larry L.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:00 AM
periscope

Thanks Larry - I'll have a look at the Victoria site - I do have plenty of radio gear 'cos I'm mainly a sub man - but also have a couple of surface boats. I just have an incline to sail - bit more interest than just motoring about - well that's the idea at the minute...... you know how it goes, we get these ideas dont we? Thanks again for your interest mate,

Cheers,

Ian
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had a TT Aussie 2, about the same size as the Odyssey but from a long time ago, and while it sailed reasonably well in the right conditions, those conditions didn't happen very often. It also had some very optimistic bits of design that needed changing, but nothing too drastic. The Odyssey looks like it would be a better sailer with the fiddly deck furniture omitted, but the Victoria, from experience, is a very good sailer. It does need a higher torque sail servo and careful reading of the instructions. With a bit of careful shopping around, you should be able to get well under larrykin's guesstimate of £250.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 AM
periscope

Thanks Mate - All good info to consider - Talking about high torque servo's - I have three spare servos - they are 1x Hitec HS322 HD and 2x Hitec HS422 - wonder if any of those would be OK as a sai; servo - maybe you can throw some light on that for me or maybe suggest what a suiable Hitec mode servo would be needed.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Islander51

I use a Hitec HS-645MG in my Victoria, but I believe that Howes are selling a 10Kg servo for around a Tenner if you don't want to spend the cash for something that's bombproof!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I got that Howes one for my Victoria. It can now sail in any weather that I care to be out in. Previously, in anything other than a very light breeze the servo (Futaba S3004) was overcome, and would not wind in, often getting pulled out. Only downsides were re-assemblng the servo box and refixing it with stronger glue, then I had to make a new arm as the splines are different, and the old battery wasn't quite man enough for the increased load.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Islander51

The Vic is a nice boat once you have sorted it, and even straight out of the box it's one of the best easy build boats out there.
I was lucky; a local model shop was doing a deal with boat and all electronics as a complete package, and so I bought my first boat.
This was before I had internet, and I didn't even know about about MMI!
It was the best speculative purchase that I've ever made, and is still going strong after more than 10 years.
Here are a few pics of mine at our local pond:

http://jerseymodelboats.com/e107_plu...pic.php?446.10

I'm not trying to hijack this thread away from the original question, but I truly believe that the Vic is a much better boat
if you want to enjoy your sailing.
Here are a couple of links for the Vic.

http://www.victoriarc.org/index.html

http://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/Index1.html

And there's an article in the new(November) copy of MMI showing a build as from the box.