Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Where can I find a scale WWI Prop Hub?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Where can I find a scale WWI Prop Hub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I find a scale WWI Prop Hub?

I bought 2 of the 5/16 x 24 scale WWI Prop Hub from BUSA. The 24 hub with the fake bolts on it was way to large for my 17X6 prop, so I sent them back to BUSA for my refund. I need the same 5/16" nut, but I need a smaller hub to fit my average or smaller props.

https://www.balsausa.com/store/produ...id_product=156

Can anyone send me a link that carries the scale prop hubs other than BUSA? Or am I out of luck getting a smaller hub?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
eagledancer

Default RE: Where can I find a scale WWI Prop Hub?

i think your out of luck, maybe a different prop with a larger center?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Oberst
Banned

I was afraid of that. I might have to make them from scratch and that would be a pain! I'll have to buy a drill press. [:@]

Pete
Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago, when I first got into RC building, I thought of the idea of using one face from a sewing bobbin as a (semi) scale prop hub. It looks pretty good. But from a functional standpoint, one of these stainless parts was probably too thin. But if you were to stack two or three together (and maybe solder them together), I'd bet that would work just fine.

7 years later my view on this is that, in most cases, you can't use a scale size prop for flying anyways (because of the high RPMs of our model engines) so for flying there's no point in scaling up a non-scale prop. And for a static prop, nothing commercially available would be scale enough for some particularly prop/engine combination. So you gotta make your own...which is always the answer to these "where can I buy a scale X" questions.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Years ago, when I first got into RC building, I thought of the idea of using one face from a sewing bobbin as a (semi) scale prop hub. It looks pretty good. But from a functional standpoint, one of these stainless parts was probably too thin. But if you were to stack two or three together (and maybe solder them together), I'd bet that would work just fine.

7 years later my view on this is that, in most cases, you can't use a scale size prop for flying anyways (because of the high RPMs of our model engines) so for flying there's no point in scaling up a non-scale prop. And for a static prop, nothing commercially available would be scale enough for some particularly prop/engine combination. So you gotta make your own...which is always the answer to these ''where can I buy a scale X'' questions.

You are right.

I just wrote a nice letter to Proctor Models, I think they have what I need. I'm waiting for the E-mail letting me know if they have the 1" hub size with the inner diameter 5/16 or slightly larger. They have the brass bolts that thread in through the prop that comes with the hub.

I like your work abufletcher.

If they don't have what I need, I'll make it the way you did for the static only. I can only swing a 17x6 prop on my O.S.91FX, and because my Fokker DR1 is around 1/5 scale I would need a 20" prop for static.

Pete
Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 PM
wingwarper

Try Proctor. I think they have a coupla' sizes,
Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: wingwarper

Try Proctor. I think they have a coupla' sizes,

Just did.

Pete
Old 11-23-2010, 07:34 PM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Oberst
If they don't have what I need, I'll make it the way you did for the static only. I can only swing a 17x6 prop on my O.S.91FX, and because my Fokker DR1 is around 1/5 scale I would need a 20'' prop for static.
Not only are our model engine props too small in diameter to be scale but they are way too thin. To be scale that 20" prop would need to have at least a 20/10 pitch and something like 20/12 would probably be even better. As far as putting bolts THROUGH the hub area of a small sized flying prop, well, that's a bad (and dangerous) idea.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Oberst
If they don't have what I need, I'll make it the way you did for the static only. I can only swing a 17x6 prop on my O.S.91FX, and because my Fokker DR1 is around 1/5 scale I would need a 20'' prop for static.
Not only are our model engine props too small in diameter to be scale but they are way too thin. To be scale that 20'' prop would need to have at least a 20/10 pitch and something like 20/12 would probably be even better. As far as putting bolts THROUGH the hub area of a small sized flying prop, well, that's a bad (and dangerous) idea.

I think the brass bolts are bolted in through the prop, I'm not really sure. They might only go a certain depth.

20x12 or 13 I agree. But here's the odd part, a few pilots experimented with different props and engines to enhance preformance. Also the Oberusel was in short supply and had many issues from bad quality or- bad quality oil.

More than one pilot had captured French engines and props on their Fokker DR1.

That's what my Osprey book "Aces of the Fokker DR1" has written in its pages with photos.

Pete

Pete
Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM
abufletcher

First of all let me say that for the scale modeler at least two power tools are absolutely indispensable: a Dremel tool and a drill press. I can hardly get through a single day of scale modeling without them. This sort of part from Proctor would take about 10-15 minutes to make. Compare that with how long it takes to locate a scale item, order it, and wait for it to be mailed. The Proctor part is clearly intended for static use only so that's fine.

The references you've got are right about different engines being used on some DrIs. Captured Le Rhone engine were apparently highly prized (as they are today) but the Le Rhone wouldn't have turned a significantly different prop from the Oberursel. The following link shows a French prop for the LeRhone 110 with a diameter of 2.5 meters.

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Nieuport24bis.html
Old 11-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Oberst
Banned

First of all let me say that for the scale modeler at least two power tools are absolutely indispensable: a Dremel tool and a drill press. I can hardly get through a single day of scale modeling without them. This sort of part from Proctor would take about 10-15 minutes to make. Compare that with how long it takes to locate a scale item, order it, and wait for it to be mailed. The Proctor part is clearly intended for static use only so that's fine.

The references you've got are right about different engines being used on some DrIs. Captured Le Rhone engine were apparently highly prized (as they are today) but the Le Rhone wouldn't have turned a significantly different prop from the Oberursel. The following link shows a French prop for the LeRhone 110 with a diameter of 2.5 meters.

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Nieuport24bis.html

I agree. Jacobs of Jasta 7 used the Clerget and a captured British prop which he stated it really improved his DR1. It's just amazing what these guys did to their planes! [8D] I ordered 2 of the 1" hubs from Proctor. Joe was fantastic to work with, and they will work great for the static display. I also ordered the other one for my Custom Hanger 9 Fokker DVII. Now all I have to do is get rid of the Ultra on the DVII and I'll be happy, but right now the DR1 is more important to me.

Thanks abufletcher. I saved the Link to my favorites.

Pete

Old 11-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Flakbait
My Feedback: (20)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.sierragiant.com/images/PropWasher.JPG

See if Sierra Giant can hook you guys up.

Regards,

Flakbait
Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Flakbait

http://www.sierragiant.com/images/PropWasher.JPG

See if Sierra Giant can hook you guys up.

Regards,

Flakbait

I don't think they have any hubs 1" in diameter.

Thanks anyway,

Pete
Old 12-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Oberst
Banned

Thanks people, they look great! [8D] I bought 2 of them, one for my Custom Hanger 9 Fokker DVII, and for my Fokker DR1.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67142.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1529013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81459.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1529014