Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

SCALE PANEL LINES

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

SCALE PANEL LINES

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:07 AM
DIVERHERB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCALE PANEL LINES

I am building a scale T-28 and need some information. What are you all using for panel lines. The engine is a glow engine so I know it has to be something that the glow fuel will not harm and thin enough so the lines are very fine and at the same time be able to be applied over ultracote covering. This is the first time I have ever tried to do panel lines on a model.
Ihave built alot of "scales" before but never bothered with the panel lines, this time Ithought Iwould. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Herb
Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SCALE PANEL LINES

Herb, you may not want to hear this, but normally, when RC modelers do panels lines they start with a fully sheeted and glassed model. None of the usual techniques work on an unsheeted model. Perhaps the most common technique (to simulate edge to edge panels) is to lay down very narrow strips of trim tapes. I think these are available down to 1/64 of an inch. Next, the model is strayed with several coats of primer, until the tape is covered. Then you lightly sand down until the tapes are reveal and then peel them off, which leaves the primer higher than the area underneath the tapes. This technique wouldn't work over "open" structures.

The other technique simulates overlapping panels. And it's essentially the same trick but instead of building up primer on both sides of the strip you only spray on one side so one side ends up higher. This can be feathered down on that side.

One way to simulate panel lines on an ultracoat covered model might with be through a very artistic paint job, where you carefully mask each panel and subtly paint it so that the colors give the impression of discontinuity. This would take considerable airbrushing skills.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:04 AM
DIVERHERB

This is just a stand off scale so what I was looking for was to just accent where the lines should be. No shadowing or anything like that. Maye like you would do with a fine line ink pen. I was looking for something that would not come off with the fuel and leave a fine enough line and still adhere to the ultracote finish.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Just for information, and perhaps education.

I covered the whole airframe with silk, for strength; then doped until the weave was filled, then applied scuffed chrome monokote panals per whatever scale 3 views I had at the time. I used a scotchbite pad, and applied the adjacent panels 90 degrees to the adjacent panel (as much as possiblle) to emphasize the individual panels.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85797.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1528154  
Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I'll try again to upload the photo, but I haven't had much success so far.

Les

Name:	Pn35266.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1528156  
Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I have no idea what I am doing wrong. If someone cares to spend the time to hold my hand I would appreciate it. I will try to store the instructions for future use.

Les
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 AM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

I have no idea what I am doing wrong. If someone cares to spend the time to hold my hand I would appreciate it. I will try to store the instructions for future use.

Les
It's not your fult RCU is having problems with their server.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even in that small photo your P-40 looks great!

I can't wait to see a larger photo.

Kudos, nice model.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
tunakuts3d

Check out the top flight panel line marker. I havent used one but I saw a ARF P47 at a club meeting and the lines looked really nice. You would have to clear coat lines after applying them
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/top/toptopq2510.htm

Paul
Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

The Top Flite Panel Line Pen works OK.. Or an Ultra Fine black Sharpie seemed to be the same stuff..

They both come off with fuel!! you need to clear coat over them.. Oh, and the clear coat will also melt the pen marks so you have to shoot a couple of very light coats.. I used the LusterCoat Flat Clear.

Name:	ig11101.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	1528241   Click image for larger version

Name:	hf98427.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	1528242   Click image for larger version

Name:	tr51207.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	1528243  
Old 11-30-2010, 07:20 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

WowPlanes has stuff called Liquid Sheeting II (for sheeted surfaces) as well as panel lines & rivets. Check out their web site.

T-man49
Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10165568/tm.htm
Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Thanks, Larry, for the information and compliment. It looks like "click to see full size image" is about as large as I can post here.

P.S. The retract filler valve is located under one of the machine gun ammo hatches, along with ammunition.

Les