Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

os 55 ax

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:55 PM
OLDS45512

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 55 ax

i have a brand new 55 ax that runs great till you try to climb vertical w have tried everything. any ideas?
Old 12-04-2010, 09:01 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: os 55 ax

Are you running the muffler pressure back into the tank? Is that line working and still hooked up correctly? I can't think of anything but lack of fuel that would cause your problem. Pretty interesting!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:20 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine any SCALE model that I'd want to "go vertical" with...and if I did want to go vertical with any RC model, I don't imagine that I'd choose the OS55ax. Sorry, but this is just a little tongue-in-cheek reminder that this is the Scale Forum. You might get a better response posting in one of RCU's engine forums.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:33 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, I had a Lazer that was a scale model and I went vertical with that! Okay this is tongue-in-cheek too, and I agree he would get a better response in the engine forum. The 55AX is a strong engine in the right ship and it should have no problem running that way.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:36 AM
molokaiboy

Ihad an OS55AXin a .46UCDand it was okay, but even on a UCD the verticals weren't the greatest, and Iimagine trying to do it in a scale would be less effective. That engine is strong but in my UCD .46 I think it is a bit underpowered, not too mention Ibelieve the .46UCD is quite big for its class
Ithink with a little more info on the plane it's in, prop size, that sort of thing, you might get better results. And also try the engine forums like the others have said. On side note, Idid notice that my 55 ran better with the stock muffler compared to a pitts/bisson muffler.

Aloha,
Les
Old 12-05-2010, 04:51 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: OLDS45512

i have a brand new 55 ax
Have you considered that your engine isn't broken in yet? You are probably asking too much, too soon. Right now I would suggest richening the needle until you can go vertical.......then as run time increases and the engine gradually breaks in, you can adjust the needle to its optimum power range.

That's my 2 cents worth........just common practice with model engines.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

There is definately something wrong with his 55. I have 2 of them & they run flawless right out of the box. He should post his questions in the glow motor forum & i'm sure he will get straightened out. I see by his post # he is new to RCU, & seems everyone has pointed him in the right direction to get an answer, just made a newbee error.....Gene
Old 12-05-2010, 07:52 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a brand new 55 ax that runs great till you try to climb vertical w have tried everything. any ideas?
yes, replace it with a real 2 stroke performance engine,
http://www.jettengineering.com/

but learn proper fuel tank setup along with tuning.......and most of all, learn to post in the right forum.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 PM
OLDS45512

sorry for posting this here. i didnt notice what section i was in as dont go in the forums often.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:38 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry for posting this here. i didnt notice what section i was in as dont go in the forums often.
NO, the apology is on me as i shouldn't have been such an azz with my reply.
2 things come to mind, and fuel starvation is likely the source.
one thing some have done on this engine is to replace the o ring on the HS needle.
the fuel tank is another possible problem............use of a Jett Bubble tank will cure a lot of issues that arise from standard tanks. fuel foaming causes lean running and especially in vertical depending on where the tank is mounted. with a BJ tank, and muffler pressure you get constant force on the bladder which eliminates fuel foaming.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The simplest thing to try is to run it a little rich in normal flight and then try to go verticle. You are fighting gravity when you go verticle and you aren't getting sufficient fuel.

As others have said.. you might need to break it in some too.

FYI.. WWII fighter aircraft often went verticle in a dog fight. Who ever ran out of energy first usually lost.

When the P-47 was refitted with the wider paddle prop its verticle performance improved by a large degree to the surprise and regret of the Luftwaffa..