Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

opinions about the 'Top Flite® Gold Edition™ Elder 40™ Kit '

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

opinions about the 'Top Flite® Gold Edition™ Elder 40™ Kit '

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 01:36 PM
Hisham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions about the 'Top Flite® Gold Edition™ Elder 40™ Kit '

Opinions about this new kit???
Building and flying characteristics!
cheers
Old 04-23-2002, 07:50 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
It's not really a new kit. It was originally released around 20 years ago (I think!). It was TF answer to the Proctor ANTIC, much cheaper and easier to build. Flew one back then, since I had an ANTIC bipe, but it really didn't fly that great as I remember. TF changed the incidence on the wing I think, not sure if it helped. It wasn't on the market that long.
The "new" one may be better/improved.
Regards,
Jon
Old 09-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Lowrider
My Feedback: (3)

Default Elder 40

Anyone care to give some info or experience with this kit? I just picked one up and plan onit being a winter project
thanks
Jerry
Old 09-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Intruder38

I have been working on the Elder off-and-on for several months. I find the kit a lot of fun to work on, lots of sanding and fitting to make for a relaxing evening. My only complaints to date (I am at the covering and rigging stage) are there were a couple of mixups in the wood supplied. Have you ever tried to get just one piece of 1/4 sq basswood? Since I am very allergic to CA, I had some trouble getting the nose sheeting on, but it seems to have turned out OK. If I were starting over, I would shorten the stock nose about 1/4 to 3/8-inch so I could apply a nose cap that would round over to give a more finished look. Maybe next time. Overall, after 60 hours or so, I've had a blast with the kit. Hope you have the same.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:49 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about ording this kit, wonder if anyone has flown a gold edition elder yet. I hate to buy it if it flies like a turd. Anyone in the air with this one yet??
Old 01-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Lowrider
My Feedback: (3)

Default Elder sale

Do to the fact I am way behind on my projects I'll be happy to sell mine (nib) for $80 shipped. I haven't really heard any reports on this plane yet as far as how it flys...
Jerry
Old 02-22-2003, 04:52 AM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Default elder 40

i just got involved in helping a freind sell his dads collection of 60 some planes.i picked out a tf elder 40,put my radio gear in it.installed my os 40 fp.took it to the feild.took off,did one turn and landed.dont put anything less than a 46 in it.it weighed 5lbs,10ozs.its a heavy plane for its size in my opion.i kept an antic from this collection which has an 81 inch wing span,wighs about the same and flies beutiful.this is a fairly new kit,last 5 yrs or less maybe.could have been heavy wood in the kit or his buiding. this is just fyinfo.im not cutting down top flite whatsoever or the kit.it did fly nice for the two minute flight though.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:01 AM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

lowrider,weigh your wood with a pocket scale or somthing,you want wood in the 4to5 lb scale.in an examplea1/8 x3inchx36inch peice should weigh14 to 18 grams.build light,the wing on this plane weighed 1.8 lbs(just the wing).