Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Joe Bridi Rearwin Speedster

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Joe Bridi Rearwin Speedster

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 02:26 AM
KenR
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Bridi Rearwin Speedster

I am starting one of these kits real soon and need to decide on an engine. Anyone had any experience with it? Thinking of one of three engines... Moki 2.1 ( or 1.8 I have both), G-26, or the new Saito V200 twin. Any suggestions apreciated!

Ken
Old 08-26-2003, 03:18 AM
Ed

Don't they show a .60 on the plans ? ? ?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:02 PM
KenR

GeeBeeJim, I will take another look at the plans but I have never seen one with a .60 for sure. The couple I saw years ago had one of the big Super Tigre engines but I do not remember which one.

Ken
Old 08-26-2003, 07:49 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speedster

I have one of these kits, also. I am planning on putting a US 41 in mine. If I remember correctly, the airframe will have to be beefed up to handle it. Im going to watch this thread to see what others have to say.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:20 AM
KenR

Hi Tom. It may take awhile. Not much response so far about the Rearwin. I double checked the plans today and they say a "geared" .60 or large gas engine. The geared stuff back them was a real joke and certainly not a performer. I borrowed a friends tonight to look over. He has a ST 3000 in it. The plane is real light, maybe twelve lbs but I 'll weigh it to make sure of the weight. He did not beef up anything. It is built as plans but Joe Bridi told me specifically to "reinforce" it some. He did not elaborate on how or why.

Ken
Old 08-27-2003, 03:34 AM
Ed

KenR:
Yeah, maybe a geared .60. I have the same kit somewhere also, but haven't addressed the engine yet. But if you've been talking with Joe Bridi, what engine does he recommend ? It could be of interest to us all. Knowing about the reinforcements would be nice too.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:33 AM
KenR

I spoke to Joe a couple months back while I was actually doing some color research on the plane. I posed the same engine questions to him and he really was no help at all and showed no interest in being some help. His only input was to say use anything that will swing an 18 X 6 prop. I needed a copy of something and he would even make that for me. He was a real disappointment to say the least.

My friends Rearwin has ample power with the ST 3000. Anything more is over kill. Even though I have two Moki engines sitting vacant at this time, the more I think about it, I will most likely go with a G26. I like those gas prices! The Saito 200ti looks great but it is big bucks. Not sure it will swing an 18 X6 either.

Ken
Old 08-27-2003, 05:40 AM
balsadust-3

I have the plans for that one but have been looking at a Ryobi converson as the motor is skinny ex and intake in the back kind of a natural for the plane as it had an inline motor. My g23 looks like both the int. and ex. would be hanging out all over the place
Old 08-27-2003, 07:56 PM
TomCrump

Default Speedster

Ken, Sorry to here Bridi was of no help. The reinforcement I have in mind is in the area behind the firewall. Some lite ply to help the airframe handle the vibration. I feel the US 41 will be overkill in mine, but I don't want to dismantle the planes that I have my G 23 and G 26 in. I had a Faichild 24 at similar dimesions, and it would fly at 1/4 throttle with a G 38. You got me fired up with this thread, so I took my Jack Stafford Speedster out last night. What a nice flying bird! I hope to start building the larger one soon, but I have a Holman FW D-9 that needs finishing first.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:06 PM
KenR

Tom, after reading the reply from Balsadust, I may have to rethink...again... the use of a gas engine. I do not want anything hanging out to goof up the looks of the cowl. I saw one on the net awhile back where the guy put in a twin 4 stroke. Talk about ruining a great plane! Looked like a J-3 Cub with the wrong color scheme!
One of the newer rear carb engines may just be the ticket. I'll have to check out RC Showcase.
Ken
Old 08-27-2003, 08:51 PM
TomCrump

Default engine

I wonder if anybody makes a Pitts style muffler for the G23/26? They are great engines and should be perfect for this plane.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:11 AM
Ed

KenR & Tom C: This is not the first time that I have heard of Mr. Bridi's attitude problem. Really a shame.
Regardless, your strengthening Mods are much appreciated.

My building hasn't started yet, but I am beginning to address engine size. I have an excellent performing TT 1.20 two stroke, that may be too light, but would cowl in nice; and then I have a NIB G-38, which might be too powerful, and too heavy. Would it turn out nose heavy with the G-38 ? Probably hang out of the cowl all over the place ? And then again, maybe I can find someone with a G-26, who might want to trade up to a
NIB G-38 ?
Your thoughts please.
> Jim
Old 08-28-2003, 02:30 AM
KenR

I am going to start on mine 12 Sept. My brother in law and I are going to build two at the same time. I am off work for a week so hopefully with some marathon building sessions we can get it done. I believe that power wise the G26 would be perfect because the plane is really light however it would mean the engine would stick out both sides of the cowl and that is not cool. I'll have more time in a day or so to double check the measurements. Work is killing me until thursday.

I did notice the Saito 200ti swings the same prop as the 180 which is a 16 X8. It may not be enough so I for sure think the TT 1.20 would be too small. My Moki 2.1 is looking better all the time!

Ken
Old 08-28-2003, 03:22 AM
Ed

Originally posted by KenR
My Moki 2.1 is looking better all the time!

Ken
Hymmm, yes, the Moki would cowl in much better.
Makes me think that my OS BGX-1 would be a better choice for me.

Thanks for your input. > Jim
Old 08-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Default Engine for Rearwin

I have seen them fly nicely on 120 and 150 fourstrokes as well as with a 108 two stroke.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:10 PM
TomCrump

Default G38

Gee Bee Jim, The Fairchild Ranger I had with the G38 in it was way overpowered. It would pull to the left on a full power takeoff, even with right rudder correction. The worst part was, however, the tailweight I had to add, just to get it tostand on the tailwheel. It was nose heavy, but flew fine. It really liked flaps to help it slow down for landing, though.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Ed

So Tom, do you feel that the G-26 would be a good match for the Bridi Rearwin Speedster ?

> Jim
Old 08-28-2003, 11:28 PM
TomCrump

Default G26

Jim, Yes. I have an 18/6 prop on mine, and it seems to have plenty of thrust. I haven't flown the airplane yet (Fokker D8), but I'm not anticipating any problems. I've always felt that the Bridi Speedster was a 120-150 4S type of airplane, so a G 26/23 should be perfect. If mine are available when I get around to building my Speedster, I'll put one of them in it. I'd just hate to have to re-kit a plane to do it.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:11 PM
eagledancer

Default RE: G26

i had one for a few years then sold it, i had a quadra 35 in her and was good choice, only thing sticking out of cowl was a bit of the carb, perfect position for choking on start up, great flyer, i was at 16 lbs ready to fly, i built a bit of a box behind firewall for extra strength. ended up with a bit of tail weight to balance her, shes still flyable after almost 18 years (she belongs to a friend now) one thing i did notice is she likes wheel up landing dont try to 3 point her, and dont allow her to stall on landing, she flys fast, not like a j3
good luck!!!
Old 09-27-2003, 05:53 PM
TomCrump

Default RE: Joe Bridi Rearwin Speedster

KenR, How's the project coming along?
Old 09-29-2003, 01:08 PM
KenR

Tom,
the planes major asseymblies are framed now. Production has been halted because we ran into lots of things on the plans that did not jive with each other. For anyone building this kit, I would suggest they buy the plans from RCM and compare them. It seems Joe has made modifications over the years and not totally updated the plans. A friend of mine has the original plans and construction book. It is a lot different than current production kits. My pages are numbered but some the paragraphs are missing indicated he renumberd the pages but left some pages. Both my kits are this way and I bought them last summer from Joe. I am now waiting for the plans and ariticle from RCM to arrive. I have replace the abs parts with Stan's FiberTech glass parts and they look great. I did trial fit a DA 50 the other day and a rear carb gs engine fits great with no cowl cutouts at all but it is a little too much engine for this plane. My Moki with inveted pitts from Bisson fits teh same way. That is the latest.

One last comment. If I was to build anther, I would incorporate an aluminum wing tube instead of the hardwood beams as per the plans. It would be easier to stack the ribs and drill press your hole than the method on the plans.

Ken
Old 09-29-2003, 03:26 PM
TomCrump

Ken, Thanks for the reply. I was wondering how things wre going. It sounds like my kit is alot older than yours. I bought mine from a guy that got out of the hobby. I'd say that it has to be at least ten years old, maybe older. I'll keep your suggestions in minnd when I get to mine. Just restarted working on my FW 190 yesterday. It will take me all winter to finish it. Then hopefully the Speedster. Here's a pis of my Stafford.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:29 PM
TomCrump

Well, two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16742.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	64507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92438.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	64508  
Old 11-08-2003, 06:38 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I saw one flying with a G38. If you envision your Rearwin Speedster doing consecutive loops, rolls, etc., then this is a good choice.
If I could find a kit for Bridi's Speedster, I would install my Ryobi 31cc. It would be an ideal powerplant for this aircraft.
It is long and narrow and is happiest with 18x6 or 18x8 propeller.