Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:03 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FlyerInOKC, whatever you do, don't go flying; stay in the house, keep your arms and hands at your sides, and for god sacks don't hold your breath... that is one heck of a bad streak of misfortune you're having... but on the brighter side, after a bad luck streak like that, nothing but good fortune is coming your way... definitely go buy some lottery tickets!!

Originally Posted by acerc
I don't know if I am ever going to finish this thing, is a feeling coming on.
It will be done, when it's done Ace...take a break and have a beer, that always seems to soothe the frustrations.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-02-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nah, don't really make me feel better.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks John M! All things considering, I still think I have it better than a lot of folks. In the scheme of things all my stuff is trivial. Look at what some of the people in Africa, Middle East, etc are forced to live with on a daily basis. If you look at it that way it puts everything back into perspective!
Old 09-02-2014, 03:37 PM
acerc

The stabs have finally straightened out, with sticks and weights, the supports have been primed. I will paint and reinstall them tomorrow. And that will be it for the fuse, at least until the wheels and canopy come in. Oh, yea, I was made an offer for a new canopy I could not refuse, getting a new one fashioned after the original so it should fit much better.
And, no, I have not took it outside to see about the gold yet, maybe tomorrow. But there is plenty of time for that as the canopy gets a frame as well and that won't be for a couple weeks.

Last edited by acerc; 09-02-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:53 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by John_M_
FlyerInOKC, whatever you do, don't go flying; stay in the house, keep your arms and hands at your sides, and for god sacks don't hold your breath... that is one heck of a bad streak of misfortune you're having... but on the brighter side, after a bad luck streak like that, nothing but good fortune is coming your way... definitely go buy some lottery tickets!!

It will be done, when it's done Ace...take a break and have a beer, that always seems to soothe the frustrations.

John M,
Not frustrating, just getting all the little things finished up takes time and patience. Add to that the in-law thing with the funeral this Thursday. And my mother went into the hospital Friday night, came home Monday, she is ok now. And the Crème de la crème, my wife has been feeling as though something is going on with her heart, she went in for a test today and they did not like what they saw so now she is scheduled for several test through next week. As one can see not exactly ideal conditions for generating a "feel like working on it mood".
Old 09-02-2014, 03:58 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the feeling ace. Hang in there. Your so close.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:17 PM
CafeenMan

I have never built an airplane that was finished. And I'm not talking about that rule of scale airplanes that at some point you just stop working on it. I'm talking about it applying to sport airplanes too which is 99% of everything I've ever built. At some point I just accept that I'm never going to do anything more to it except fix things and make necessary adjustments.

Your life needs attention and you can't do anything else properly if you that tugging at you so do what you need to do. We'll find things to do while you're gone.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Robert,
Your Pitts is looking great. I have been enjoying your build. I am about ready to get back to my Pitts. I finally got a few of the other builds off the bench. So far I have the fuse all framed up and will be starting on the wings very soon. My Valach 170 arrived in the mail over the weekend. The motor is quite the monster. I have a few extra of the hinges that come with the kit if you need one. I think I read in a few posts earlier that one of yours had broken. Let me know as I would be glad to send you one. Keep up the good work. Jon
Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
I know the feeling ace. Hang in there. Your so close.
Thanks, will do.

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
I have never built an airplane that was finished. And I'm not talking about that rule of scale airplanes that at some point you just stop working on it. I'm talking about it applying to sport airplanes too which is 99% of everything I've ever built. At some point I just accept that I'm never going to do anything more to it except fix things and make necessary adjustments.

Your life needs attention and you can't do anything else properly if you that tugging at you so do what you need to do. We'll find things to do while you're gone.
Thanks, but I will muddle along, not much else to do.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:25 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Jonboy2
Hello Robert,
Your Pitts is looking great. I have been enjoying your build. I am about ready to get back to my Pitts. I finally got a few of the other builds off the bench. So far I have the fuse all framed up and will be starting on the wings very soon. My Valach 170 arrived in the mail over the weekend. The motor is quite the monster. I have a few extra of the hinges that come with the kit if you need one. I think I read in a few posts earlier that one of yours had broken. Let me know as I would be glad to send you one. Keep up the good work. Jon
So where's the pics? Post them my man. I did a lamination, 5 ply 5oz glass, to replace the hinge but thanks for the offer. If you would like any opinions on what or where may need beefing up I would be more than happy to provide my findings. There are a few areas I had to reinforce, I'm sure you took notes, but would be happy to place them in one post.

Last edited by acerc; 09-02-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Jonboy2

Robert, I have been taking some notes from your build, but if you could post a resumen of what you have done to beef up or change to make it better in one or two posts, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and willingness to give a helping hand. Jon
Old 09-02-2014, 05:52 PM
acerc

Robert, I have been taking some notes from your build, but if you could post a resumen of what you have done to beef up or change to make it better in one or two posts, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and willingness to give a helping hand. Jon
When I see some pics I will post. LOL!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Not frustrating, just getting all the little things finished up takes time and patience. Add to that the in-law thing with the funeral this Thursday. And my mother went into the hospital Friday night, came home Monday, she is ok now. And the Crème de la crème, my wife has been feeling as though something is going on with her heart, she went in for a test today and they did not like what they saw so now she is scheduled for several test through next week. As one can see not exactly ideal conditions for generating a "feel like working on it mood".
My thoughts are with you and your wife Ace... God bless!

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 09-03-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:04 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by John_M_
My thoughts are with you and you wife Ace... God bless!

John M,
+1!
Old 09-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Melchizedek

Praying for your wifes well being

Kevin
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Robert sorry to hear about your wife, praying her tests come back with good news.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:33 AM
acerc

Thanks everyone, very much appreciated. But that is the roller coaster of life, and we will do what ever is needed to maintain our health as best we can. It was just a shock at first because she has always been so much more energetic than I. I'm sure in the end a pill will cure her ailment, along with some lifestyle changes, either/or.

I am still tinkering and believe the fuse is done, except the canopy and wheels. I still have not been able to get it outside for the real light, but the more I see the paint the better it looks.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Jonboy2

Hey Robert,
Sorry to here about your wife. Hope all will be well. Here are a few pics for you. I have done most of the fuse, the horizontal stab, elevator halves, fin and rudder. Now that I have the motor, I will be mounting the engine box to the firewall soon. Wings will be coming up shortly. That Valach 170 is a well beauty, isn't it! Thanks. Jon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2028710   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2028713  

Last edited by Jonboy2; 09-03-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 PM
acerc

Oh how I remember being there. Think about the fin reinforcement and the stringer reinforcement as well. Those are two really weak points. Plan your motor mount well in advance for the carb, it sit in and out of the box, depending on how you build it.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:07 PM
acerc

Let me add a little, as I was being spoken to at the time of the above post. The fuse bottom stringers are very weak and will break if picked up on, if I had another go at it I would use a hard wood such as poplar or aspen. And as shown on the thread the fin definitely needs supports added. The carb on the Valach sits rearward and down requiring a bit of an unorthodox engine box. Best advice I could give would be to think and plan at least ten steps ahead and dry run anything your not 100% certain about.
Also think about the wings and what is going to hold them in place, the kit has them being held on by the flying wires. This is a bad idea to me, if something gives in one or two wires it is all over. The bottom wing is easily made to bolt to the fuse, which adds a great deal of support in stability for wire failure and I have seen it on another one of these planes. Actually have a video of it with the guy talking about how squirrely it has become and luckily got it down. On the main gear, I would laminate new mount brackets. Which I did because one broke from handling on the bench, 5ply of 5oz glass and some sanding, much less brittle.
The wings don't have any skins in the area of the stab mounts, I added some so there would be no depression under the strut with the covering. Also verify where your struts attach at, mine was way off for scale.
I'm sure there are other things I did, but a lot of mine were for scale and because of the weight mine would be approaching.
Post the rest of your build here and tell what your plans are, scale, semi-scale, fun-flyer, etc. makes a difference in what gets changed.
Toni Clark is the go to guy for headers if you need some.

Last edited by acerc; 09-03-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:42 PM
acerc

And by the look's of your background models it appears you don't need much help from anyone.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Jonboy2

Robert, thankyou very much for the pointers and suggestions. It does not matter how long you have been in this hobby, you can always learn from others and continue to learn new techniques. The biggest issue I have had so far with this build I'm sure like yourself, is the lack of English plans and instructions. As much as these kits cost, you would think they would take the time to put out a decent translated manual and such.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:56 AM
acerc

Robert, thankyou very much for the pointers and suggestions. It does not matter how long you have been in this hobby, you can always learn from others and continue to learn new techniques. The biggest issue I have had so far with this build I'm sure like yourself, is the lack of English plans and instructions. As much as these kits cost, you would think they would take the time to put out a decent translated manual and such.
LOL! I gave up on the translation thing, tossed the instructions. The cd was some aid but only by way of photos.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:37 PM
acerc

I managed to get it outside today, yuck, the gold definitely don't get it. I will either mix up some or buy some, but one way or another it will be changed. I did not get a chance to do anything else (run it) for it started sprinkling so I put it in the toy hauler. I have since installed the replacement ail hinge, epoxy is drying, and will continue on with the wing work. Although there is not much to do, install ailerons and linkage, then I'll have to bring the fuse back in and place the wings on it. Maybe I'll get that all done over the weekend.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:39 PM
acerc

Jonboy2, if you have the glass and are capable of laminating (which I know you are), I recommend replacing all the brown laminate with glass ones. That brown stuff is ultra brittle, at least to me, and I would do that if I had it to do over. I had the gear pieces break just from bench handling, the aileron piece broke from my T-shirt catching on it. All those are glass now.

Last edited by acerc; 09-04-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.