Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The second coat is on and it looks pretty good. But I fear some sanding may be in order. I'll let it dry for an hour and run my hand over it, then I will know for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	1995267  
Old 05-14-2014, 08:07 AM
acerc

Just noticed all the spots in that last pi, guess I need to clean the camera lens...
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert you have done alot of work prior to the color coats, all along I thought you just painted the Solartex and never filled the weave. On the real plane it must be a drag issue if thats what was done, it does make a difference. Your making good time considering all the work.

Leroy
Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Impressive paint job!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

getting to the good stuff now. you must be excited
Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 AM
acerc

Leroy, this is not Solartex. It is raw polyester covering hence the weave filling and such. This is the same product used per full scale.
Flyer, thank you.
Steve, the excitement was starting until a few minutes ago then it got knocked back down.
I just gave it a look and I don't need to run my hand over it, it will need sanding. And as an added bonus I have to re-iron a few of the pinking edges for a few of the little points gave way and are sticking up. Neither is a big deal but is going to take a little more time. I have to order another quart of the Poly Spray, it will be here the first of the week so that will work out good. So unless everything goes extremely well (quicker and easier than expected) I will be a few days before posting anything else of the painting.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Just noticed all the spots in that last pi, guess I need to clean the camera lens...
Uh-oh! That's not some sort of "Fish Eyes" is it?

Steve, the excitement was starting until a few minutes ago then it got knocked back down.
I just gave it a look and I don't need to run my hand over it, it will need sanding. And as an added bonus I have to re-iron a few of the pinking edges for a few of the little points gave way and are sticking up. Neither is a big deal but is going to take a little more time. I have to order another quart of the Poly Spray, it will be here the first of the week so that will work out good. So unless everything goes extremely well (quicker and easier than expected) I will be a few days before posting anything else of the painting.
Now you've got me wondering if I want to go with the S**** method on my Stinson or go back to the Solartex. Oh boy, here we go again!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:00 AM
acerc

David, Solartex is by far a much easier way to go. And if you like it there is no reason to not use it. I just don't like it, for a couple reasons, but none being that it's not any good.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM
acerc

Ok fellas, I have a question,
"Does anyone remember what I did with the little Pitts during the finishing stage"?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

I plead ignorance either that or my CRS is kicking in.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Leroy, this is not Solartex. It is raw polyester covering hence the weave filling and such. This is the same product used per full scale.
Flyer, thank you.
That does make a difference, I guess raw polyester is the jet age stuff, back in the days when I was doing that on real planes it was cotton and dope, always had to sand it to knock off the tiny hairs on it. Your truely going all out on this one.

Leroy
Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 PM
FlyerInOKC

Nothing held back on this project first class all the way!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Melchizedek

Ok fellas, I have a question,
"Does anyone remember what I did with the little Pitts during the finishing stage"?
Did you take it for a test flight before the pretty paint job ?

My first answer was " Did you check behind the shed ?" /

Kevin
Old 05-14-2014, 12:41 PM
acerc

You guys are going to think I am nuts.
After pondering the sanding and such I called St its for their recommendation on how to fix the loose stitch issues. First the why was answered and apparently I skimped to much on the adhesive when applying the tapes. So I began giving consideration to this issue as well as adding a few other's that have been bugging me for a while. One issue I posted on, that being the fin support post bow, another is the bottom stringers on the fuse bowed as well. Both issues from the same cause, too light of a build structure in those areas for this scale method of covering. Now mind you if this was just an everyday flier I would not give these a second thought, maybe. But! Given the nature, reason, and expense of this build I do not want ok I want near perfection. So, I have decided that the only way I will be happy at the end is to correct it before then. That means I am going to strip the covering, fix the frame issues and recover without being stingy with the adhesives.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 PM
FlyerInOKC

Sorry to hear it Robert! Please post pictures so we can see what you change. You have to know by now we're a punch of build photo addicts!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

you guys are going to think i am nuts.
After pondering the sanding and such i called st its for their recommendation on how to fix the loose stitch issues. First the why was answered and apparently i skimped to much on the adhesive when applying the tapes. So i began giving consideration to this issue as well as adding a few other's that have been bugging me for a while. One issue i posted on, that being the fin support post bow, another is the bottom stringers on the fuse bowed as well. Both issues from the same cause, too light of a build structure in those areas for this scale method of covering. Now mind you if this was just an everyday flier i would not give these a second thought, maybe. But! Given the nature, reason, and expense of this build i do not want ok i want near perfection. So, i have decided that the only way i will be happy at the end is to correct it before then. That means i am going to strip the covering, fix the frame issues and recover without being stingy with the adhesives.
yikes!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Melchizedek

I think the decision to get it right is the correct one ( for all your stated reasons ).
So sorry for the disappointment. But the disappointment will fade and the reward for doing it right (once complete) will linger and linger.
Kinda like the cost of a fine tool. Nobody says " oh, I could of had a Harbor Freight ".

Kevin
Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
Nobody says " oh, I could of had a Harbor Freight ".

Kevin
Very well put!
And for the record , uh-hmmm, I am not disappointed. This is just the way it goes, and the cost is not that great at this stage. Now the amount of time invested is another story, but, fortunately that is one luxury I have plenty of.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:55 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ah crud man that sucks, but you are correct................... it's got to be right.
keep the photos coming

Ken
Old 05-14-2014, 04:16 PM
stevegauth30

Very commendable Robert. I find myself being more and more like that of late. I probably got it from you. A few kits ago I probably would have said @&$? It, but I'm with you. Do it up right. A respectable decision.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 PM
acerc

Thanks guys for the support. I am trying to get a little closer to the amazing skills I see from people like Anthony and Vincent. That level of craftsmanship is hard to obtain but I want to get close at least.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Robert you all ready amaze me. I just want to to get half as good as you.

Ken
Old 05-15-2014, 02:40 AM
stevegauth30

your there dude
Old 05-15-2014, 03:07 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

+1
Old 05-15-2014, 05:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

+2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.