Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Scale Avionics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale Avionics

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:46 AM
Doedelzak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Avionics

I'm in the process of building a Wendell Hostetler Lancair. As a unique feature, I want to include functional (to some degree) avionics. Functional as in that the artificial horizon is correct, altitude, attitude, speed, gps location and map. Flight planning and so on will not be implemented.

This is the first experimental setup. It contains a raspberry pi, 2 adafruit 3.2" displays, a GPS sensor, a 4-axis gyro/accelerometer and a compass. So whatever you see on the screen, will be actually correct.

The device runs linux, i wrote the emulation in Python. Not entirely done yet, but it's getting there. I'm getting all the data from the sensors already, and finishing the graphics. Here you can see it in action with dummy data:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpwhlB9i1J4
Old 06-25-2016, 08:24 AM
ByLoudDesign

Very nice!!! Now hook it the telemetry and you'll be watching the show also!!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:48 AM
Doedelzak

I must admit, it's a lot of work for something one usually doesn't see itself.. can't sit in the cockpit while flying

However, isn't that the definition of scale.. doing a lot of work for stuf you won't see.. any scale interior is basically a waste of time, since you can't see it while flying. But the idea that it's there..

I'm using a Futaba FX-30 (same as T12) so don't have telemetry. If I had, I could have hooked it up to it indeed. For now I will hook it up to the flightpacks to monitor battery conditions during flight. The Raspberry Pi will also handle the scale lights in the wingtips (amongst others) so I can use those to warn for low flight-pack remaining capacity.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:01 AM
ByLoudDesign

Make up a mock up of the control panel the stick above the Tx. LOL!!