Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Futaba vs frsky

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Futaba vs frsky

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 02:23 PM
yoavik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa51
When I first got into RC flying, I opted for Airtronics equipment mainly because I could get A LOT more bang for my buck. Never experienced any problems. In fact, on several occasions I took off neglecting to extend my TX antena. I did not realize it until well into the flights when I experienced only momentary blips of signal loss and that was only when the aircraft was relatively low, pretty far out and headed back toward me. This prompted me to do some ground - testing comparing my Airtronics equipment against my brother's Futaba equipment. Same aircrafts similarly set up and my ground radio checks showed the Airtronics equipment to have significantly larger separation before any noticeable signal interruption. Based on my testing, (albeit not scientific), I really do not think a FUTABA setup would have survived the same blunder (forgetting to extend TX antena). Now I admit to the stupidity of taking off without checking to make sure my TX antena was extended and I consider myself VERY lucky not to have lost any aircraft due to it but my comparison ground testing at least gave me more faith and confidence in my Airtronics equipment. Futaba and JR seem now and always have been more or less the industry standard and (in my opinion) are therefore, overpriced in comparison to other brands. All of this being said, I am in the process of transitioning over to Futaba equipment ONLY because of the decline in availability of Airtronics (now Sanwa) equipment. However, until that time when my transition is complete, I will faithfully fly my old Airtronics equipment with the utmost confidence. My point in all this being that just because certain equipment is not the most whiz - bang expensive out there, it does not necessarily mean that it is inferior equipment.
thanx papa,
i started 20 years ego with airtronics equipment.. and to this day i use the good old "blue sanwa" rx's, with JR9303, on 4 of my models!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:26 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by MAJOR SPLAT
I fly on the TARANIS 9XE I also have spectrum dx18 and flown futaba for many years. as an aerobatic pilot. I love the 9xe it allows me to do anything I can conceive off plus you can update the firmware on the rx very easily. I am currently flying a large Lysander with a saito 450 radial and its flown quite happierly on the 8 channel x range of rx , it must be said that having the self test function buit into the set and a constant signal strength during flight gives e lots more confidence than other radios I have owned plus they are cheap.
The only thing I would ad is correctty placing your antenna is very important with frsky especially if you have a huge radial in front of it

Regards

Major Splat
thanx..
i will sure take that in mind!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:35 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by jrf
2.4 is more convenient than 72, but experience has shown that it is definitely not interference free. PCM was always the most reliable choice and now that nobody else is on it, it is bullet proof. And since you already have it, it's also free.

I use 2.4 for my foamies and PCM for anything large or expensive.

Jim
thanx jrf,
happy to get another good opinion on PCM rx, as you were saying,
also.. never had a problem with JR PCM RX!
its a shame i only have one! and its sitting in a giant mustang, i just cant find new PCM RX'S these days!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:37 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by jeffo
The safe play is stick with futaba,at my local hobbyshop they are selling hyperion Rx,the owner says the guys love them.jeffo
thanx!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:38 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by TFF
I would not risk something important on the frsky. Just not worth it. I would rather fly with the 72 PCM.
thanx tff, i was actualy thinking of PCM!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:56 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by geezeraviation
I have a friend who has been flying a Frsky Rx, using a Taranus Tx for a year now in a large scale gasser and hasn't had any problems. He now has the newer Horus Tx and is preparing to install it all in a 1/5 scale Bronco with twin 35cc gas engines. It's all very trick with programming options that are near unlimited, by all means a very sophisticated radio system, albeit a bit less expensive so some folks are afraid of them. If you check the forums and read accounts from users you don't find much to be afraid of.
Doc
thanx jeezer, great info!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:25 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
I am using the Frsky in my Valiant w/DLE 35 as well as My Escapade ,MX DLE 35 also, not exactly cheap airplanes. They are compatible with my Hitec 9 channel. They have performed flawlessly in these planes and others I have owned in the past several years. I have a 30 cc Spitfire coming from Tower and It will have a Frsky in it! These Receivers are a real value in my humble opinion.
thanx gizmo! it sure building up my confidence in the RX!
Old 12-29-2016, 03:51 PM
yoavik

Originally Posted by bdoxey
I have a Futaba 12FG. I have used FRSKY FASST compatible receivers in several electric autogyros, a rather speedy electric pattern style aircraft, and a DLE-20 powered autogyro with absolutely no issues. I also have one in a 2.3 meter sailplane that I have specked out altitude and range-wise several times, also with no issues.

I do use Futaba brand receivers on my 50cc warbirds.....just "because."

Your Bleriot is really nice looking. Any videos?

Bryan
thanx for the info Bryan, and for your request,
one of the very first flights, the nose was 2 inch shorter, had ziro dihedral (very hard to control)
and a smaller engine.. that was Significantly under power!
Despite all this.. it was magical in the air!
(please ignor the Ridiculous choice sound track made by the editor!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbWiepU0vks
Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yoavik
thanx robin, what kind of accessories do i need in order to conect 2 RX together?
A binding plug. You need to short the signal pins between channels 1 and 2 when you bind the second Rx to turn off the telemetry on the 2nd Rx so you don't get conflicting telemetry inputs.
That's it, all there is to it.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:05 PM
robin44

thanx robin, what kind of accessories do i need in order to conect 2 RX together?
You need to bind both receivers to the same transmitter. If they are telemetry receivers then you do as As s3nfo said "A binding plug. You need to short the signal pins between channels 1 and 2 when you bind the second Rx to turn off the telemetry on the 2nd Rx so you don't get conflicting telemetry inputs."

Once you have both receivers bound to the same transmitter then you split the servos across the 2 receivers. For example one servo controlling one half of the elevator goes into channel 3 of one receiver and the other servo controlling the other half of the elevator goes into channel 3 of the other receiver. I put the left elevator together with the right aileron on the same receiver. If one receiver fails you can still control half the plane.

If you want full redundancy where if one receiver fails you still control ALL the functions, then you have to use a Redundancy Bus. FrSky also makes one, but there are other companies such as PowerBox. You plug both receivers into the Redundancy Bus. You plug all your servos into the Redundancy Bus. If one receiver fails then the other receiver takes over all of the functions.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:14 AM
yoavik

Originally Posted by s3nfo
A binding plug. You need to short the signal pins between channels 1 and 2 when you bind the second Rx to turn off the telemetry on the 2nd Rx so you don't get conflicting telemetry inputs.
That's it, all there is to it.
thanx jerry, im gonna use ordinary RX, so i think i do need some kind of flightbox or powerbox
Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 AM
yoavik

Originally Posted by robin44
You need to bind both receivers to the same transmitter. If they are telemetry receivers then you do as As s3nfo said "A binding plug. You need to short the signal pins between channels 1 and 2 when you bind the second Rx to turn off the telemetry on the 2nd Rx so you don't get conflicting telemetry inputs."

Once you have both receivers bound to the same transmitter then you split the servos across the 2 receivers. For example one servo controlling one half of the elevator goes into channel 3 of one receiver and the other servo controlling the other half of the elevator goes into channel 3 of the other receiver. I put the left elevator together with the right aileron on the same receiver. If one receiver fails you can still control half the plane.

If you want full redundancy where if one receiver fails you still control ALL the functions, then you have to use a Redundancy Bus. FrSky also makes one, but there are other companies such as PowerBox. You plug both receivers into the Redundancy Bus. You plug all your servos into the Redundancy Bus. If one receiver fails then the other receiver takes over all of the functions.
thanks alot robin,
could you please direct me to the the FRSKY "Redundancy bus"? (a link to the actual product)
Old 12-30-2016, 09:24 AM
robin44

thanks alot robin,
could you please direct me to the the FRSKY "Redundancy bus"? (a link to the actual product)
Here it is: http://frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=155
Old 12-31-2016, 04:36 AM
yoavik

Originally Posted by robin44
thanks.. looks like an awesome device..
i also found this one, its "only" got 8 channels, but i only need 5 anyway!
could you confirm that its the same, beside the fact its got less channels?
https://www.horusrc.com/en/frsky-redundancy-bus-10.html
Old 12-31-2016, 09:58 PM
robin44

thanks.. looks like an awesome device..
i also found this one, its "only" got 8 channels, but i only need 5 anyway!
could you confirm that its the same, beside the fact its got less channels?
https://www.horusrc.com/en/frsky-redundancy-bus-10.html
This looks like a new product which I have not seen before and from what I can read does the same thing but for 8 channels. So yes go for this one.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:59 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I generally stick with Futaba equipment but considering the success being reported with Frsky receivers here I may give one a try as a low cost alternative.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Just ordered another RX.........