Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 Top Flite Gold Edition FW-190D >

Top Flite Gold Edition FW-190D

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Top Flite Gold Edition FW-190D

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Gold Edition FW-190D

Do I or Don't I?[&:]

I've got limited building experience (GP Dazzler) under my belt and I'm thinking of tackling the FW190D as a winter project.

Am I outgunning myself? Too much for a novice builder? Should be able to wing it?

Any feedback from any Top Flite builders would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help![sm=tongue.gif]
Old 09-27-2003, 06:08 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Gold Edition FW-190D

As long as you follow the instructions EXACTLY, going step by step through the building process, you should be OK.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:00 PM
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Gold Edition kits are in a manor of speaking a builder's kit. The instruction manual is very user freindly and uses lot's of pictures along with the written instructions. If you had no problems with your first kit you should be okay with the 190. My son just got the kit and I have reviewed the instruction manual and with a few exceptions it is all pretty straight forward. The manual has some tips on doing certain things which would be very helpful for first timers. Allow yourself plenty of time as they are time consuming and go for it. Good luck and keep us posted, Dave
Old 09-28-2003, 03:01 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

I was disappointed in mine - I've built a number of kits and a few scratch builts, but this kit has a cowl that doesn't fit (try it over the first former), the turtleback (if you can call it that) needs to be formed from blocks and not using sheet.

I had it up to installation of the retracts and just said to heck with it and dumpstered it. Wolfman has done some great mods, but probably did as much work as he would have scratch building.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:42 AM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I could have gotten that kit off of you MajSteve! I get a lot of TF kits started by beginners (especially the P-51), they start them and get discouraged, then they just give them to me! Most of the time they only get the tail feathers done, although I did get a P-51 that was almost completely molested! I had the trash the wing it was so bad. I usually disassemble them as far as I can and start over. Building kits is definitely a dying art, I can build and finish a Monokote TF P-51 with flaps and retracts in a month and a half. The difference between a sport model and a warbird scale model is that you can slap the sticks together on a sport model. With a scale model you are sculpting a miniature of the full scale. You must have patience and perseverance to succeed. I would say the place where you can get in the most trouble is in sheeting the wing, although I have never built the TF FW I have built the TF P-51.

Luke

My TF P-51
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48234.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	64215  
Old 09-28-2003, 06:57 AM

Luke,

Where does the discouragement come from? I've been building models since I was a kid and I find it to be a very relaxing hobby. My concerns are the instructions/plans, does one have to be a brain surgeon to follow them? Will one kit under my belt be enough experience to tackle this big bird? I guess I'm just a little leary about plunking down some hard earned $$$ just to end up getting discouraged.

Thanks again for the feedback. Winter's can be long up here, think I'm gonna' go for it.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:42 AM

Bakes, I think you have the right attitude to complete a TF 190 successfully. I would be more in doubt if you stated " I have built one kit, so now I can go for anything..." You are not afraid of seeking advice from the more experienced and that is a good sign. Why make all the mistakes other people have done already? I haven't built any of the Gold Edition series but I have quite a few kits under my belt over the years so do not hesitate to drop me a line if you need. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Good luck with the 190,

Jens
Old 09-28-2003, 10:12 AM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luke,

Where does the discouragement come from?
I am mainly talking about beginners that go into a project, start it, maybe have a hard time with something simple like the rudder, then realize the enormity of the task ahead and get discouraged. Like you I enjoy building, so I think you would have what it takes to finish the project. You can ask questions, and if you have a digital camera start your own thread on it's construction and we'll cheer you on! This is a resource so use it to the fullest.
Good luck,

Luke
Old 09-28-2003, 12:32 PM
My Feedback: (7)

The TF FW is a very good kit to build. The cowl is terriable, I got one from Wolfman. I went eith 3/32 sheating on the fuselage in stead of the 1/16 sheet as was stated in the plans. and I am glad I did . once you sand 1/16 you don't have much left. The weight savinge is not worth it.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:55 AM

If the cowl is so terrible....I've read it before, how come TF hasn't addressed this issue. I would think TF would be concerned enough with it's quality, that they would make the cowl a little more accomodating.

What's up with that?

Same thing would apply to the 1/16" sheeting.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:43 PM

I've got a couple of Gold Editions under my belt, my 190 is still in the box and I plan to compete with it. My Mustang came out absolutely awesome, my P-47 is rolling out of my basement in about another month (all that's left is paint) and my 190 will be a winter project. I've already gathered the scale documentation.

One word of advice, make sure you know WHY you are doing something. Top Flite does a few unconventional things that make sense later. Read ahead. Their instructions are also not without error. I've run into problems with things like cockpit kits that should have been installed before other steps. The kits frame up pretty fast, but the ABS parts are crappy, don't be afraid to modify them as needed, I had to cut the scoop in my Mustang to make the circumference smaller. If your bench is well equipped, you're in for a good time! Here are couple pics of my Mustang; it's worth the work!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14547.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	64559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38775.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	64560