Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Will this engine work.

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Will this engine work.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:21 PM
Calmo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this engine work.

Hello; I was thing of building the Balsa USA 1/6 scale Sopwith Pup. I did some research on this plane and seen quite a few flew them on a Saito .52s. I have a Saito .45 Special. From what I understand it is supposed to have a little more power than a standard Saito .45 because of the cam. Do you guys think this .45 Special would be enough power to fly the Sopwith Pup. Would appreciate any comments or ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by Calmo2; 11-24-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:36 AM
mgnostic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would suggest sticking with a larger motor. Hopping up a given displacement motor usually brings out the horsepower at higher RPM on the same size prop. Biplanes are draggy and as a rule do better with larger props. A short nosed biplane often will need more nose weight when fitted with a lighter weight engine. I understand wanting to use an engine that you have on hand. The .45 will probably get the Pup off the ground but performance will be sub optimal.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:10 PM
Calmo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mgnostic; I looked at the info on the Balsa USA Sopwith and it said " Four stroke--40 - 50" so I was hoping my Saito 45 Special would be enough, but I do have a Tower Hobbies .46 2 stroke I might think about putting that on it. It is supposed to be .1 HP more than the OS Max .46 FX ! Thanks again. George.