Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

SPITFIRE MANUFACTURERS - THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

SPITFIRE MANUFACTURERS - THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 05:05 PM
blacksheep
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPITFIRE MANUFACTURERS - THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

This is for Spitfire lovers only. I am hoping to keep a current list of any manufacturers of Spitfire model aircraft EXCEPT those little bitty foamy jobs that come with motor and battry already installed. This list is intended to help the Spitfire enthusiasts who want to choose a good model to build. I am hoping that we can give the Manufacturer, Type (kit or ARF with comments as to degree of difficulty/ease of building), Price, Flight Characteristics and finally your own comments/opinions with the final question: Would you recommend that your best flying buddy get one of these. And PLEASE hold your hearsay comments. This is for those with experience with the actual aircraft itself.

To kick things off I offer my Mick Reeves 1/6 Spitfire:

PLANE: 1/6 Mick Reeves Spitfire. 12 to 15 lbs

MFG: Mick Reeves http://www.mrmodels.fsnet.co.uk/

TYP: KIT with Fiberglass fuse but wing is a balsa built up. Challenging. You can also get the wooden fuse and he has a 1/4 scale.

PRICE: $466.00 including retracts and shipping, $373.00 w/o retracts (might want to consider Robart)

FLY: It's great. Built right and balanced correctly you will love it. Might be the best flying warbird you will own.

COMMENTS: It is an exact scale Spitfire. You will not be disappointed with the looks unless you are a real klutz builder.

RECOMMEND: YES, without a doubt.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:33 PM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SPITFIRE MANUFACTURERS - THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

I have the Reeves 1/6 scale kit with all of the options. The only problem I have is the wing ribs are plywood and warped horribly. Otherwise very nice looking and high quality. I'll build it one of these days.
I am also building a Clark industries 1/4 scale Spit. Fiberglass fuse, built up wing and tail. Comes with everything including: retracts and air system, scale wheels, awsome cockpit kit, sliding canopy, three blade propeller and spinner, glass cloth, paint and an awsome 105cc inline twin gas engine with exact scale exhaust. The scale outlines are very good but I modified control sufaces to scale size and hinging. It does not have the reflex under the inboard flap area but that is the only other deviation from scale. Wing builds just like a Platt kit and parts and materials are very nice. Fuselage bulkheads required some trimming but not too bad. Overall I'd give it a 9 on materials and fit and 8 for ease of building. This is an experienced modelers kit and not for the faint of heart. Cost was $3800. Don
Old 10-24-2003, 01:06 AM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best: Brian Taylors, 1/5.3 Spit. Scale winner of many contest and flyes like a dream.
Worst I've seen probably the Pica
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/warbirdscale/
JG
Old 10-24-2003, 05:51 AM
snoopys copilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for a large fun scale Spitfire, check out Meister Scale. They have a 96" w/s Spit. It is a great flyer. Lands at a crawl. It is a great warbird trainer.

96" wing span
2 piece wing
retracts
laser cut kit
engine from 90 2-stroke - gas G-38
very easy to build. easy as a trainer.
It can be made to "look" scale if you want

Ty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64489.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.7 KB