Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Hidden Flight Control Hookups. How Do They Do That?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Hidden Flight Control Hookups. How Do They Do That?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Geoffrey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Flight Control Hookups. How Do They Do That?

I have to say I am constantly astounded at the skill and ingenuity of the Scale modelers and some of these models transcend to works of art! Personally I doubt I'll ever be able to hold a candle to their creations but I'll enjoy myself by trying to improve my skill level with each model. Currently I'm working through my first (almost) scale model which has several rookie modeler licenses taken, but she's the first step to completing a scale model.
Anyway on to the question. I see a lot of models without any control horns on the flight controls or any control rods or wires sticking out. How do you manage to get everything hidden inside the model? Are there any iron clad techniques for it?

Thanks
Geoffrey
Old 11-09-2003, 11:33 PM
crashnburn
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hidden Flight Control Hookups. How Do They Do That?

One way is through the use of torque tubes. A length of music wire runs through a series of holes through the ribs and has a 90 "L" that is inserted into the aileraon. Another "L' and the inboard end is connectedc to the servo. If you are serious about scale techniques and would really like to improve your building skills, check out Dave Platts how to video's on his web site. They may seem expensive at first, but once you watch one of them, you'll want all of them. They are money well spent and worth their weight in gold.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Longaly

Crash,

Are there any good RC Scale magazines out there? I know there are plastic model magazines but would be interested in RC related magazines.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:09 AM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of the music wire mentioned by CRASHBURN I have been using aluminum tubing for the same purpose. Holes are set into alignment just forward of the trailing edge, but on line with the pivots. The aluminum is a bit lighter, stiffer, but has to be of larger diameter when extended all the way out to where a desent connection can be made with an aileron. It can then be controled via levers off the ends of the tubes near the center of the wing.

For flaps, I use the old fashioned way of bellcranks mounted inside the wind, then extending a stiff wire towards the T.E. and connecting it at the top of the flap, well above the flap hinge line.

Wm.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:38 AM
YAT-28E

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PICTURE TO SHOW THIS METHOD?
i AM A LIITLE CONFUSED ON HOW THIS WORKS?

tHANKS
mIKE
Old 11-10-2003, 11:40 AM
WerHop

Hi Geoffrey.

I will highly recommend the Dave Platt Videos, his website is http://www.daveplattmodels.com, i am currently building a fw-190 designed by Dave, and this uses all those techniques. another is the Beckman Concealed Actuators used to move the rudder of the planes, a website is http://www.hobby-lobby.com/balllink.htm.

those videos are good for all aspects in scale modelling, they are a must of anyone learning to build a scale mode.

thanks

werner
Old 11-10-2003, 04:31 PM
BrownsFan

Not sure if this will work, but there is a great thread on this previously posted.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50.../tm.htm#508923

I was racking my brain for that RDS link. I knew I saw it in one of the magazines, but do you think I could find it?

http://www.proptwisters.org/rds2/
Old 11-10-2003, 11:26 PM
shonny

Get Jim Newman's Control Systems from MAN Publications.
Okay, it ain't new (1985), but it provides a lot of good ideas.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Geoffrey

I've got to say the more I work at this hobby the amazed I am at the ingenuity of you people. I've already started making plans for my next scale model, the Don Smith Sea Fury decked out in the Signal Truck Special colours, but for now I need to finish my current almost scale Comet. Thank you for responding and sharing your knowledge.

Geoff
Old 11-13-2003, 06:54 PM
chines
My Feedback: (2)

Geoffrey,
I have some pics that i have got'n from here and I forgot the post so if you want them I will e-mail them to you because i am unsure about post'n others pics.

Chris
Old 11-14-2003, 11:54 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry posted in wrong place
Old 11-14-2003, 01:22 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

You want to check this out. Follow the 'AIRCRAFT PARTS LINK'. Then choose the "PROPTWISTERS LINK" in case the one below doesn't work.
I've used these up to 1/3 scale warbirds for flaps, rudders. I used them for ailerons on smaller sized airplanes(1/5 1/4 scale)

http://www.kimbrough-products.com/
http://www.proptwisters.org/rds2/