Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Sig 1/5 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Fidsatom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 1/5 Cub

Just a quick question to see if anyone has experience with this kit. Problems, shortcuts, heads ups etc. By way of information, a 1/4 scale J3 seems a bit too big for my needs right now, but much smaller scales might not fly as well. This will be my first scale kit in nearly 40 years

Thanks in Advance
Tom
Old 12-31-2003, 09:43 PM
MJFinegan
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Sig 1/5 Cub

Just finishing up a Sig 1/5 scale Cub. The only problems I encountered were builder induced. As for tips, just read and reread each step before proceeding and handle the laser cut sheets very gently. The pieces are held in place on the parts sheet by only the smallest little tabs of balsa if you breathe on them too hard the parts fall off the sheet and the parts identification game begins. . I mounted my engine sideways, ended up putting a hole in the right side of the cowl about the same size and location as the dummy cylinders. In retrospect, I probably should have mounted inverted but I didn't have the nerve. Oh well, you'll have that I suppose. Good luck and have fun, you've got a great building kit.

Mike
Old 12-31-2003, 10:17 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I can't speak for the Sig kit, but I had a 1/5 scale cub for several years. They do fly much better than the 40 size cubs, (but not quite as well as the 1/4 scale). It is a good compromise size if transportation and storage are a problem....
Old 01-01-2004, 09:40 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fidsatom, the only problems I had with the kit was that the parts kept falling out of their sheets.....better to mark them BEFORE you start building it! And the struts ARE functional!!!

I used Robart's landing gear in place of the kit's and like it a lot. Suggest you look into it.

Jerry
Old 01-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Fidsatom

Default RE:Thanks

MJFinegan, Nony, and Tailskid

Thanks for the advice. Those pieces do seem to just fall right out don't they . The Robarts gear looks attractive as the stock Sig gear would transfer plenty of shock loading to the attachments, so Ill look into it.
I bought a Saito 72 for it. Strangely the 72 is significantly smaller and lighter than the 65, so I'll watch the throttle and use discretion.
I have the fuselage about half framed up and I'll try and keep you all posted on my progress.
This is being built right by the Sig plans which seems the sensible approach for a near beginner like myself.

Thanks again

Tom
Old 04-16-2004, 12:08 AM
jmkington

In the middle of completing the wings on my sig 1/5 and finding the kit to be a dream. Its my first kit in a while and I find it much easier to build than that older kits. Directions seem to be a little confusing at times but just takes time. As stated times already in this forum.....the pieces do seem to just fall out.....But its an awesome kit! Much better than the Goldberg