Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What kind of air compressor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

What kind of air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 07:58 PM
chines
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of air compressor

I want to know what size air compressor you guys use for a touch up gun? I have been looking and looking so now i have no idea what to get.. any help would be great.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:55 PM
Mel Francis

Default RE: What kind of air compressor

Here's the link to the one I use for touchup, prime and pva spraying.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...tegoryId=90143
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44232.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	87780  
Old 01-04-2004, 09:22 PM
pete913

I use a little campbell hausfeld , sorta like the one in the earlier post. the nice thing about those is that they are oilless, that is, no oil in the compressor or getting into the air line.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:33 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[:-]
ORIGINAL: chines

I want to know what size air compressor you guys use for a touch up gun? I have been looking and looking so now i have no idea what to get.. any help would be great.
[8D]

I got mine at a yard sale for $ 20.00, a little used 40 gal, twin cyl horizontal job on wheels.
Course it's 220 vac and can handle a quart sized lacquer or enamel gun for small jobs maybe a VW or fiat or so. But is just right for Giant Scale so a touch up sized gun is no problem..
Is the right sized also for hooking up the intake for vacuum forming will get down to -28/29 or so. I Don't know if the turbine type would work very well in the vacum department.

Though am presently in possession of a large air conditioning unit that am going to use the compressor for my in house/ in shop vacuum forming and small gun/airbrush needs. And runs no louder than most refrigerators where the larger is more or less stationed in the garage.

Hope this helps..
Old 01-04-2004, 09:36 PM
chines

Thanks I was looking at this one. What do you think?
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...20435-5-120435

All i really need this for is for a touch up gun and an airbrush , maybe clean up around the shop. Is that one to much?

thanks
Chris
Old 01-04-2004, 10:46 PM
phread59

The little pancake compressors will work just fine. However I would put a regulator on it. Airbrushes are supposed to run at apretty low pressure.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

I use my Sears 5 H.P. 30 gal. adjustable beauty. I paint wverything from model airplanes to real cars with it.
"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 01-08-2004, 02:21 PM
DMyer

I have a Devilbis 1.5 HP 3 Gallon compressor that puts out 40lbs @ 4.5 SCFM. This compressor puts out enough air to run my airbrush, my old style detail gun and my medium sized HVLP gravity feed gun(I use this 75% of time) without having to wait for it to catch up. The key is to check the air requirements for whatever type gun you will use and the type of paint you plan to typically spray prior to buying. All the spray guns have different air requirements... even if they look similar on the outside. While my compressor is probably on the small side... it does the job and dosn't take up to much space and is easy to carry. If I had it to do over I would have gone a bit bigger... but it has been great so far... it even painted the kitchen cabinets for the wife! Good luck!

Dan
Old 01-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Buy the largest air compressor you can afford and have room for. Once you have a compressor, you'll sooner or later want to run other airtools with it. Nothing worse than realizing you bought one too small and having to replace it with a larger unit.

Direct drive ones are much louder than belt-driven ones. Oiless ones don't last as long as oiled ones. The pancakes are really designed for roofers and contractors that need one light enough to haul around. With that small a tank, even if it has a good size motor, it's still going to cycle all the time.