Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

20 Size Gee Bee Racer: Will a Saito 30 work?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

20 Size Gee Bee Racer: Will a Saito 30 work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Steven H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 Size Gee Bee Racer: Will a Saito 30 work?

I am building a Adrian Page 20 size Gee Bee Racer. I need to puchase an engine. I want to use a four stroke. Considering a Saito 30. The plans call for a hot 25 to get unlimited vertical. Would the Saito do this? This plane is very light, I think it would. Looking for comments from someone who is flying this airplane, and what you are using for power. I would rather be overpowered than under powered!

Steve H
Old 01-13-2004, 10:46 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: 20 Size Gee Bee Racer: Will a Saito 30 work?

Links?? Which aircraft are you referring to?
Old 01-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Steven H

www.adrianpage.com
Old 01-15-2004, 10:41 PM
phread59

Steven that is a darn good question. I would venture to say yes. I do not have a Saito 30. I do have a 45s. That was on a Great Planes PT 40. It would realy pull it well. The thing the Saito will give you is a bigger prop. It should give you plenty of pull. I would only caution on a larger engine. Balancing the plane could become an issue. I have only 1 other suggestion. If ballistic performance is your goal. Take a good look at the new Irvine 39. It is supposed to be a 40 in a 25 size case. A webra 32 should also do it also.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Steven H

I am interested in 4 stroke mainly for the sound. I think round engine planes sound best with four strokes. Ballistic performance would be nice, but not my ultimate goal. This airplane is very light, but I have never owned a four stroke this small, I think a forty would be too heavy for this small plane.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:52 PM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

What about the O.S. Wankel. It's got the round engine look...........major power for it's size..........starts easy and runs strong. Not sure about weight compared to the Saito. But I love mine.

Neo
Old 01-20-2004, 08:12 AM
RCMDLR

I purchased one of the first kits available some years ago, orgnally I had powered it with a FOX .25 2-stroke engine/APC 9-5 prop. and covered with 21st Century fabric. I absolutly LOVED it! It was amazing to see a tiny plane do all the things the big aerobatic ones do. Knife edge all day, both directions. I loved flying it so much, one day I flew it a little too long and did not make it back...

The re-build consisted in 21st century FILM to lighten it up a bit and swapped out the FOX .25 with a Magnum .30 4-stroke/Graupner 10-5.5 prop. It was never the same performer again with the 4-stroke, but it did sound a lot better. Knife edge suffered and landings became rather tricky. Also, true to form, the 21st century paint I used for trim turned a different color after exposure to the sun. I would love to build another some time in the future.

My suggestion, keep it light, use a film covering and like the instructions say, use a hot .25 2-stroke and you wont be disappointed. Use mini or micro servos and a 110ma battery, just charge the battery every 3-4 flights.

My .02 is all...
Old 02-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Steven H

Thanks for the great reply. I have already purchased the saito. Hopefully it will do the job. I can alway go to another engine if this one won't fill the bill. But I will take you advice on the small servos. I think I have some in a drawer or someplacew like that.

Steve H
Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A guy in our club had one with an OS .25 FX with a heavy Pitts muffler and it took quite a bit of tail weight to balance. It was a very hot plane and way too fast for his experience--he only got one (short) flight.
Your Saito is 3-4 ozs lighter, and it should balance well. I bet it will be a great combination. Experiment with props if you aren't satisfied with the performance--that can make a big difference. Let us know how it goes. Jim
Old 02-12-2004, 10:19 AM
ddstott

Your Saito 30 with an APC 10x5 will be a super combo on that plane!
Old 07-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Steven H

Well I know It's been awhile.I am not a very fast builder. But it finally flew for the first time today. I used a OS .30 4S. It had plenty of power. Plane was a little nose heavy. I adjusted battery location, still a little nose heavy, but it still flew pretty good anyway. I am quite happy with the plane overall. It is very fast, even with the four stroke. First take off was very smooth, only needed one click of trim on elevator and aleron. The landings are a different story. It must be flown to the ground. It is still going at a good clip when you touched down. But it handles the high ground speed without a problem. I set quite a bit of toe out on the gear, this seems to help alot. I will get a pic up soon.

Steve h