Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Painting fiberglass

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Painting fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 03:10 PM
George12go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting fiberglass

I have recently glassed a greatplanes ju-87 Stuka, I need to know what everybody thinks I should use for paint? Let me know about your experiances, or tips you might have... Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 11:28 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Painting fiberglass

you will get alot of opinions on this but I recently read an article in Model Airplane news and they have a online article on how to paint with latex house paint of all things. the article tells how to prime a fiberglassed plane and paint with latex house paint from lowes and clear coat.

I have tried several methods to paint fiberglass, not really like any of them. but basically prime the surface, sand as needed, and then paint the model.

Good luck,
Fred Cronenwett
Old 01-16-2004, 11:31 PM
ghess5558

George,

Fred is right. You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this subject. Here is mine. From my experience as a custom painter and my experience in painting RC airplanes, the most common paint used is the same paint that is used on most if not all new cars. I just finished painting my 1/3 scale Turbo Raven this week. The fuse is fiberglass, the wing, horizontal stab and all control surfaces are foam cores that have been sheeted with balsa then fiberglassed. Because I use the base coat/clear coat system everyday and that's what I know, that's what I used on my plane. I have pictures posted in my gallery of the fuse and the wing still hanging in my spray booth. Everything turned out great and shiny. I tend to use a lot of PPG and House of Kolor products because they are sold locally and are high quality products. Any other brands like Dupont, Valspar or Sikkens will work too. Since you are painting a Stuka, you may not want a very shiny finish but, a satin or even a flat finish. Most of the above paint companies make an additive that you can mix into your clear to make it pretty flat and I know for a fact that PPG sells a clear coat that dries almost flat because I have used it myself specifically for RC applications. Which ever way you decide to go, you'll have to sand the shine off your fiberglassed parts and prime them before you spray your first coat of paint. If I can be of any more help just let me know and I'll try to answer your questions.

Gary Hess
Old 01-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

George,

What kind of equiptment do you have, a compressor, airbrush? I personally have gone to latex exclusively. It is easy to use, easy to clean up, inexpensive, dries fast to the touch, safer to use(although i would still use a mask of some kind) and just overall less of a hassle then anything else IMO. It is what I like. There are many posts on painting with latex, and the article mentioned is a good one as well. Here is the link [link]http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how_to/latex1.asp[/link]

Here is a link to a weathering thread I had going a while back...[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_768456/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#768482[/link]
Hope this gets you going, if you have any ?'s, please feel free to ask

Warren
Old 01-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

George12go,
I use Rustoleum Painters Touch primer and enamel paint with clear coat on my Gung Ho Warbirds. This primer is almost zero
dust residue and is very easily sanded.
"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 01-27-2004, 11:43 PM
wrongwaywayne

I'm looking for a fuel proof clear coat in a can. Whats my best bet?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Flak

wrongwaywayne,
I've been using Top Flite LustreKote Flat Clear and Semi Gloss with no problems.
"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 01-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Oosiksmith

Great thread. Always good to hear new ideas and find out how they've worked for others. I myself am about to paint a fiberglass F-16 and was doing some research in this area. Can you all also give us some ideas on how to paint aluminum scale landing gear? I've seen some posts where guys prime the gear, use model master paint, then apply lustercote or something similar...not sure this will hold up well over time.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:48 PM
FalconWings10
My Feedback: (4)

I like the Top Flite LustreKote Flat because it doen't yellow after drying.