Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

The Pup Has Begun!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

The Pup Has Begun!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 11:37 AM
atvracer
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Pup Has Begun!

Hi Chevelle

very nice looking pup! i've been thinking making one my self looking at yours I thing i'm going order one keep us inform

thanks
Atvracer
Old 05-16-2004, 08:41 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Chevelle, you could clear coat the entire plane after your markings were applied. That would seal the entire plane including the seams. I have chosen Nelson's clear to put on my SE5a. From what I have learned/read Nelson's water base clear is good stuff. You can do a search here on RCU about clear over coats and read what others like as well. Your plane is looking real good!! Thanks for posting.. BobH.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:56 PM
RCFlyerNYC

I'm sooooo jealous, your Pup looks amazing. I'm considering either the Pup or the Neiport for next winter's project. Check out Aces of Iron pilots.If you can afford the bucks, treat yourself. I have one in my 1/5th Waco.
Jeff
Old 05-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Chevelle

Getting even closer!!! The maiden flight should be next weekend! Still have to finish the markings, add the gun, paint the wheels, etc.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:23 PM
Chevelle

VERY close now!!! Just have to wire up the emergency cutoff switch and then I will fire this Pup(py) up!

Hope to be able to taxi it about this weekend. Probably fly it the next weekend!

Old 06-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Chevelle

The Pup had it's taxi tests today. Much better ground handling that I thought. There is no tail wheel. Just a free-castoring skid. I had no trouble getting it to move right or left.

Takes a bit of getting used to. Taxiing straight requires right rudder as expected and after a few runs, I could get it to run pretty straight and true.

The tail comes up pretty fast. A couple of times the front wheels "got light" but I didn't take off. Good thing too. It was pretty gusty for a maiden flight and I may not have done a proper job securing the elevator hinges. (Oops.)

A few minor adjustments and up we go. Next trip to the field for sure!
Old 11-26-2004, 05:40 PM
kaksnapper

Great looking plane, allot of information to consider for my 1/4 pup project in Warbirds. Thanx for the link and support, ken
Old 11-27-2004, 03:02 PM
BobH

Just dont break any thing with the taxi tests lol!!!! let us know how the maiden goes and good luck!
Old 11-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Here ya go Bob:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#1910896
Old 11-28-2004, 12:07 AM
Chevelle

Oh yeah. Sorry about that. The thread kind of died out so I never capped it off here. (I did in the Giant forum though. Thanks for the cross link Bruno.)

Here is a movie made from three flights on the day of the maiden. A week or so after the movie was made, I added the pilot, painted the wheels, and added some more detail on the gun.

Thanks for your interest.

Chevelle

MOVIE>>> [link=http://www.wings-of-valor.net/uploads/PupFlight1_256.wmv]"The Pup's Maiden Flight"[/link]
Old 12-03-2004, 10:47 AM
stall

I like the red stripes you put on the edge of the fuse top. Was this paint?

Also, the insignia on the side was nice. Was this a water slide or something else?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2004, 02:10 PM
BobH

Bruno.. thanks!!
Chevelle.. very kewl video. the pup looks like it flies great! congratulations!
Old 12-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Chevelle

Stall,

Nope. Just strips of white and then red monocote.

I am a member of the "Black Adders", an online WWI squadron that flies "Red Baron 3D". That is our emblem. I printed it on clear label stock that you can get at any office supply company (Office Max, Staples, etc.) It is has faded a bit. I think I will print another set using the color laser printer at work. I wouldn't use that technique for true scale competitions but for just fun and games, it works just fine.

Chevelle
Old 12-03-2004, 08:38 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry mistake.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Brian C

Chevelle,

Great looking Pup! What can you tell me about the isolation mount you used for your gas engine. Is it commerically available or did you come up with it yourself? I'm converting a Featherlite Poulan gas engine to go on the front of a BUSA Eindecker, and was curious about how you mounted your engine to the firewall. Your installation looks very impressive.

Thanks,

Brian C.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Chevelle

Thanks Brian.

The mount is a product made by Great Planes. I actually ended up with it accidentally. I initially purchased a US Engine from a club-mate and he included the mount. I decided to move to the Zenoah instead but I had already drilled for the mount. It seems to work just fine but it extended the engine out a bit. That did cause a problem. I had several options but the one that I chose was to take advantage of the aluminum that I would be adding. I made a ring out of scrap MDF and attached it to the firewall. (You can see part of it in the picture.) That moved the cowl mounting blocks out which of course moved the cowl out too. When I made the aluminum sheets, I just made them a bit longer so they covered the extenstion. Seems to work just fine.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:49 PM
kaksnapper

I finally got to see the Pup's maiden flight, took forever to down load but well worth it...Great job, thanx, ken