Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Beechcraft Baron 58(Byron Kit) ? >

Beechcraft Baron 58(Byron Kit) ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Beechcraft Baron 58(Byron Kit) ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 02:27 AM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-58

I just flew one of my two Barons yesterday.

Mine flew very nice and was not over or under powered. It was very similar looking to my real one!

Very solid in pitch and roll. I used no flaps for take off and full for landing. Next time I will use about 1/2 for landing.

Flew on cool power 15% heli and temp was 95 with high humidity and was using graupner 3 blade props (10-7) with super tiger .46's for power.

I will be getting rid of the air retracts and going to mech as they are much more realible and it is one less thing to bring to the field (the air pump, I forgot mine so the flight was done wheels down)

I will get some pics in the air next time! http://www.rnlinc.com/rc/rc.htm

I also have functional nav & strobe lights and the strobes were visible diring the middle of the day during the flight!

Don
Old 06-23-2003, 03:07 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default Beechcraft Baron 58(Byron Kit) ?

I am interested to know what your Baron weighs with out fuel. What retracts are you using now that you don't like?
Also, 12X8 seems like a lot of prop for a .46. Are they .46's or .60 size engines?
Old 06-23-2003, 03:14 AM

Default B-58

Sorry, I told you wrong the props are 3 blade 10-7 ( I have too many planes with 3 blade props).

I will weigh the plane tomorrow. The fuel tanks are in each nacelle and I believe they are 8-12 oz's.

As for the retracts, I could not tell you the brand as I did not build the plane. But in general I hate air operated retracts, and prefer mech.

Still, based on what others have said about the plane. I am very happy with the way it flew. I fly my scale stuff, scale, and do not do loops and rolls.

Don
Old 06-30-2003, 02:25 AM

Default Baron

Just finished flying my Baron again today!

No problems the plane is just as stable as my real one!

Landings are very smooth I have done with and with out flaps.

Very happy with the way this plane flys!

Don
www.rnlinc.com
Old 06-30-2003, 03:41 AM

What retracts are you using now? Have you made the switch to mechanical yet? Personally, I think I will go with Springair retracts using scale like oleo struts. I am starting mine in September or so for next year. I want to learn as much as I can about the Baron before I start building. My only twin was a Pica Duakist a few years ago. I loved that plane. I lost it in a trade that netted me a Ziroli Bearcat though. I loved the Bearcat more I guess.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Baron

I have not changed to robart mech yet. I believe mine are spring air right now. (I have two barons, and they both have different retracts).

The one that I have been flying is comming in at 15-16 lbs, but flys very nice and scale like at 1/4-1/2 throttle. once trimmed it is simmilar to a pettern plane.

And as far as R/C goes this was my first twin!! (I have over 3,000. hrs in my real one though!)

Don
Old 06-30-2003, 05:57 PM

I am a Mooney driver most of the time lately, about 300 hours worth. 700 hours in other things like Turbo-Lance, Pitts, Cessna, Cub, Decathalon, North American AT-6 etc. I only have about 30 hours multi and almost all in a Seminole.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:18 PM

Default Baron

Since you are a full scale pilot you will not have any problems. Since you know how a twin functions (single engine).

You will love this airplane!!

Don

www.rnlinc.com
Old 06-30-2003, 09:21 PM

My biggest fear was many people on the "internet" said you had to run .61's on it. I thought that rather much in the way of power. I am glad to see that a good pair of .46's work just fine.

Can you put up some more pics of your planes?

Also, are you having trouble with the gear? Spring-air makes a pretty good gear. I am surprised that you are considering switching to mechanical.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:11 AM

Default Baron

I will put up some more pic's. Going to go fly tomorrow or on wed I will get some pics in the air!

As for the bigger motors, that usual comes from people who do not fly full scale and who don't understand that a baron or bonanza is not supposed to have good vertical!!

I flew mine at 1/4 - 1/2 power and it was perfect. I tried a few passes at progressively higher power settings and found the plane does not go that much faster. Beech found this out on the real baron when they put a pair of duke engines (380hp) on a b55 baron and called a B56TC. and unless you went above 20K feet the extra power was useless for all practical purposes.

The same applies to the toy airplanes as well in some cases.

Remember if you put 61's on your plane it now becomes a stanoff scale plane. In my opinion it looks very ugly with the mufflers under the cowl.

Don
Old 07-01-2003, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback. When you take those pictures, take some of the inside (mechanicals) and close ups of the gear. I am really interested in the details.

I am planning a pair of OS .46 for mine and whatever muffler I can fit in the cowl. Maybe a pitts style muffler will work. There are a couple of Baron's at the airport that are used to haul checks to New York. They look nice but have no interior to speak of because most rear seats are missing to make room for boxes. I'll find something.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:29 AM

Default Baron

I don't have the mech installed yet but when I do I will get some pic's for you.

Remember, I have 2 Real Baron's. One is a B-55 the other is a B-58, so if you need any pic's of the real one let me know.

On the exhaust I used a pitts muffler and modified it with hightemp rubber and the routed it to some brass tubing, so the exhaust comes out the cowl flap door. There are no holes in my cowl except one on the top for the mixture screw and one approx one inch infront of the cowl flap door which is a remote glow adapter (Thundertiger).

Don

www.rnlinc.com
Old 07-02-2003, 09:24 PM

Default Baron

Just put another few flights on the baron today again no problems!

It was approx 98 deg outside today and 3-5 knot wind.

Here are some pics of it in the air http://www.rnlinc.com/rc/rc.htm

There is one pic that you would be hard pressed to tell if it is a toy or not!!

Don

www.rnlinc.com
Old 02-22-2004, 03:02 AM

Default RE: Baron

on this Baron the wing is covered with 1/64 plywood,powered by 2 rossi 40"s,and spring aire retracts
Attached Images