Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Small scale/semiscale stinson reliant???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Small scale/semiscale stinson reliant???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Flying-Gators

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small scale/semiscale stinson reliant???

Howdy...i'm looking for an rc small scale/semi-scale stinson reliant kit...does anyone know of a stinson reliant rc model out there that has approx 40"-70" span...i know of the topflite 100" and the dumas 30" that could be converted to rc, but i want something inbetween, not too big, not too small...im trying to avoid scratch building...i already have 3 models in progress, and that would just add to the clutter...

any help is greatly appreciated...

ps. i did a search and came up empty handed...this is my first post so take it easy on me....
Old 06-06-2002, 03:09 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Marutaka makes an 84" Reliant. www.Hobbybarn.com carries them.

Pasted from their site:
Stinson Relaint SR-8
Scale: 1/6
Length 53 5/6"
Wing span: 84 1/3"
Wing area: 1017 sq. in
Weight: 10 ~ 11 lb.
Radio: 4 -5 ch.
Engine: 2c .60 ~.90 - 4c 1.20
22 photograph Instruction set plus exploded views on plans sheets
Precut and numbered wood parts.
Fixed main gear and tail wheel wire and attachment hardware
Aileron, elevator, and rudder control horns
Abs canopy and plastic window material

Yak
Old 06-06-2002, 08:09 PM
Flying-Gators

thanks, yak...do you know anything about their kits...quality and whatnot....i think i may want something smaller than that...i really would like to get something that spans less than 72"...i appreciate your help

does anyone know of a smaller kit/arc/arf...
Old 06-08-2002, 03:42 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Marutaka kits are high quality in my opinion. Great plans, excellent wood, parts fit etc. You will have to do some carving and sanding. It does not fall together.

I know of only one other smaller Reliant kit; made by Sterling Models many years ago and no longer available except from a kit collector. Sterling is no more...I think. I don't know any of the particulars on that one except is was about .40 size. They also had a rubber power/.049 Reliant.

If you really like Reliants the Top Flight kit is the way to go. Mine is still in the box but it's next on the bench---a beautiful machine! Maybe it's time to step up to giant scale?

Yak
Old 06-10-2002, 11:58 AM
Flying-Gators

thanks yak18...i dont want another giant scale right now...too much money...i recently got a 1/4 scale dynaflite super cub...i almost jumped on the topflite stinson when they first introduced it, but i had too many projects half completed and the g-friend would not have it...we have a spare bedroom filled with my hobbies...i need something that i can transport easily and fly at a field near my apt...all my other models i have to fly at my parents...too big for around my place...

thanks for your replies

ps. i think i saw one of the .049 sterling stinsons hanging in a shop around here in atlanta...national hobbies has it...i asked the guy years ago about it and he had no idea where it came from...looks to be about the same size as the dumas model, but im pretty sure it isnt (it had wheel pants....dont think dumas' does)
Old 08-23-2002, 03:05 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Default Stinson Reliant

I have an old Sterling Kit of the Stinson Reliant. It has about a40 inch wing span. I stopped building the kit years ago when someone told me it was very hard to handle on the ground due to the short coupling between the main gear and the tail wheel. I think Sterling has gone out of business but you might find someone with this kit.
Regards,
Vic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22710_13229.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	8694  
Old 08-27-2002, 12:09 AM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Default Small Stinson

A company called G-S Products made the SR-6 Reliant (straight wing version) back in the 80's. 62" wing span for .35-.60 engines. They are no longer in business, but you can find the kit occasionally on e-bay, or try a "wanted" post on RCU. I found one about a year ago. They are really neat kits; machined wood parts instead of die cutting.

Bill
Old 09-02-2002, 11:44 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reliant Plans

I have the .40 size Sterling SR-8 kit, and watched one fly quite well years ago at Mile Square Park, you see these on Ebay going to $150+ nowdays. It is a smallish taildragger and was a little squirrely. I think your best bet may be to get the plans from Cleveland plans . You can get this in a numberof different scales. They build light having been designed with possible free-flight use in mind before modern r/c. One of the guys at Mile Square also had a large ( approx 8-foot) w/s Reliant made from Cleveland plans with a .60 engine that flew very well, did nice loops, etc.

I've been trying to talk various kit makers into making a 42" wingspan Reliant for e-power, a lot of people are fascinated with this round-engined, taper wing executive aircraft with the cowl bumps, neat windshield, and huge wheel pants.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:26 AM
PeterH

Default Stinson Reliant

Do a Google detailed search for 'Bell Model Aircraft'. I found a reference in 'cottage wings'. The proprietor used to sell a set of plans and a cowling for a 42" Stinson Reliant. A note to him would be the first stop in obtaining drawings. The drawings are beautiful and the cowling saves a large amount of work....happy hunting.