Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P 47 - How Scale?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Top Flite P 47 - How Scale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 12:11 PM
DennisS
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P 47 - How Scale?

Thinking of getting the Giant Top Flite P 47...how scale is it? Does there need to be a lot of changes to the outline or airfoil to make really scale? Anyone know?

Dennis
Old 07-15-2002, 01:26 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

In my opinion, it is very good. I've got one(building my 2nd) and it looks and flies like a dream! I have flown it in the Sportsman class at the Mint Julep Scale Meet, at Rough River Ky, for the past two years, and have done reasonably well with it. The second one that I'm building now, I plan to glass, and paint it, and add rivet and panel line detail. I would'nt go messing with the airfoil either! The Seilieg airfoil allows it to fly perfectly, fast or slow. Drop the flaps and land on a dime with no change in pitch, or stall! My suggestion is to build it exactly the way it is, and you will not regret it. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy yours like I have mine. D.P.T.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:43 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

If you are looking to compete at the local level then the TF kit will be adequate. But, if you are looking to compete at the Scale Masters or Top Gun level, then I would look at the Yellow Aircraft, Ziroli, Valliancourt, or Areotech P-47. Here a few of the modifications that I can think of off of the top of my head that would need to be done to the TF kit for scale accuracy: 1) Modify the hinge line at the top of the vertical stab and rudder to be rounded instead of straight, 2) the same as number 1 for the horizontal stab and elevators, 3) Modify the main gear retraction angle. On the TF, they retract almost parallel to the leading edge where as they should retract at more of an angle to the leading edge. I am sure there are more mods that need to be performed for scale accuracy. Those are just the ones I can think of right now.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:09 AM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Default p-47 outline

The Top flight flies great, but you will never convert it to a contest plane.
Brian
Old 07-24-2002, 01:49 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know if I would say you could never convert it to a contest grade airplane but there are certainly better starting points. When the TF Giant Corsair first came out I said it could not be made into a scale competitor and then along came Chris Spangenberg (sp) and proved just how wrong I was.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:51 AM
thunderbolt-RCU

Default scale outlines and stuff

Chad:
You are right about Chris's F4U. He did turn it into a beauty. The Topflight kits are designed for the average builder and swport flyer. The fidelity to outline is way off and must be totally redisegned in order to compete at Topgun and the Scale Masters. Chris is not your average builder and he did accomplish this.
I have flown both P-47s and Corsairas at both Topgun and the Masters and have learned the hard way about scale outline. My corsair, Brian Taylor 82 inch wing, is on the cover ov American Aircraft Modeler this month that I have flown at Topgun and the Masters
The first thing you would have to do with a Topflight kit is redesign the airfoil, consequently you might as well start with a plan that is close to an accurate outline.
The Topflight would be OK at a local level because they fly so well without any major modification.
One of the major considerations of a P-47 is that the full size shrunk the main strut 9 inches so it would not hit the belly pan. The landing gear placement is impossible to do right unless you have articulating struts such as Vaillencourt's gear.
Attached (I hope) is my 92 inch P-47 with scale struts, fowler flaps, 2 bomb drops and a tank drop, 5.8 precision Eagle and 10 Channel Airtronics radio.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	18900_2713.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	11351  
Old 07-25-2002, 02:33 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thunderbolt, your Jug looks fantastic. I agree that Chris is an above average builder and he must have put a GREAT deal of effort into the TF Corsair to make it as nice as he did. Even so I noticed some innacuracies in it when I saw it at the Masters Qualifier here in Phoenix. I did not mean to imply that I think the TF Jug could be made into a Top Gun competitive machine. I doubt there would be much Top Flite left in it if someone did! It could be much more scale than it comes out of the box though. Best regards, Chad.

PS-Should I look for you and the Jug at the next 1/8 Fly In?
Old 07-25-2002, 02:53 AM
thunderbolt-RCU

Yep, I hope so. I will be flying at the Masters in team with the attached Tony. I was going to kit the plane a few years ago and made a dozen fusaleges. A local friend finished this one which we plan to fly in October in Mesa. I may fly the Jug also in expert, but flying two catagories gets confusing. The 1/8th is the next weekend and I hope to be able to stick around and fly in it. If not, I will be in Phoenix in March. I have flown in all of the March meets since 1979. Yikes, I should be arrested for being obsesive -compulsive. I cannot seem to attach the picture of the Tony
Old 07-25-2002, 02:55 AM
Dean-RCU

Hi Brian;
Did you ask the judges at Top gun where they gave you the deductions on your static score. Looking into building another F-4U when i finish my current project
This is my last project a Ziroli T-bolt
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2002, 03:11 AM
thunderbolt-RCU

My F4U is getting tired. It placed 8th at Top Gun a couple of years ago but now has over 100 flights and has flown at many contests. The Brian Taylor outline is almost perfect. Where I have lost static points is in craftsmanship with general hanger rash. Brian Taylor plans are all very accurate-maybe the best. His plan is the only plan that gets the gull and the hinging right. At Topgun, you give the judges an extra three view and they highlight with a yellow marker the mistakes.
I have not flown the Jug in a contest yet, but boy doe it fly great!!!
Brian
Old 07-25-2002, 03:16 AM
Dean-RCU

Brian are you coming out to Az. for the Scalemasters and how did Hi Chiwawa fly for you.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:28 AM
thunderbolt-RCU

Default Yellow P-47

Dean:
I have not flown the plane yet. Just have not got around to installing the radio. I fly on a ham band and I am looking for a 50 mz whip antenna.

I want to get the electrical noise out of it prior to flying it. I am flying the pictured jug along with a smaller 70 inch Ziroli jug. They both fly great- actually all P-47s fly great!!!!
My first on was a Brian Taylor I built in 1979 and have built several Bert Bakers and Zirolis since then.
Yours looks great, have you flown it yet?
Attached is the Tony picture I referred to in an earlier thread
Brian

Name:	18916_2713.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	11353  
Old 07-25-2002, 03:42 AM
Dean-RCU

The aluminum does effect the reception now that i have the time to experiment i found on this Jug that after installing a whip antenna i tripled my ground check distance. I compared it with my sport model (NO Aluminum) and thats where i found the problem.
The Jug has not flown yet. I took it to Gun Smoke last Spring but had some mechanical problems and did not fly it. I am almost finished with a 1/6th scale T-28 from Dave Platts plans and will have pictures up in about a month.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:52 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taylor F4U

I agree this is the most scale looking F4U from any plans or kits, I had the plans for almost two years now and I am ordering the laser cut parts from Holman. I will make glass parts for this plane, its just one of those 'got to have', even if I made half a dozen for myself I won't get tired of looking at it, maybe because it looks right on. Now if I just have the time to frame it up.

Vic
Old 07-30-2002, 03:53 AM
thunderbolt-RCU

Default F4U-4

My Brian Taylor corsair is on the cover of this month's American Aircraft Modeler. It is the 82 inch model. Blue with green trim.
Brian
Old 07-30-2002, 09:07 PM
aeroscale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, as long as we're talking Jugs., Brian......
Ziroli fuselage, 38#, 5.2 Sachs. Starred in the opening sequence of Propwash Video's latest "blooper" tape!
Aeroscale

Name:	19497_1863.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	11354  
Old 07-30-2002, 09:15 PM
aeroscale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, BTW, the giant TF Corsair makes into a very attractive machine; great weekend flier.
Aeroscale

Name:	19498_1863.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	11355  
Old 07-30-2002, 10:47 PM
Dean-RCU

This is the 76" Brian Taylor Corsair I used Earl Aune's Wing Folding plans for this project.
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2002, 11:20 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

Dean:
Tell us about the 76 Corsair. Weight, engine, retracts etc/ have you flown it yet? I built one about 12 years ago before I built the 82 inch.
Brian
Old 07-31-2002, 03:19 AM
Dean-RCU

Default Brian Taylor 76" Corsair

Hi Brian ; This one came out at 23 lbs. I used a Supertiger 2500 for power and Earl made up a custom set of scale retracts for me. I also put together a retractable tailwheel from plans that he sent me. I used Testors paints and Top Flite flat clear over it.
I think you saw pictures of it in the air when looking thru my album at the 1988 Scalemasters in Ohio when you picked up the Yellow P-47. The first time i took it out to fly it here in Az. i got an offer that i couldn't refuse and sold it

F9F-2 looking at you.

Name:	19544_4483.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	11357  
Old 07-31-2002, 03:42 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default KI 61 Tony

Thunderbolt, great looking warbirds! can you tell me about the Tony. Size, weight, engine, plans, kit ?

Thanks

fw190
Old 07-31-2002, 01:26 PM
thunderbolt-RCU

Dean:

Looks like a Ziroli F9. Is it a fan or turbin?

Aeroscale:
Does your TopFlight corsair have a tendancy to bounce on landing. I moved the cg foreward from the what is shown on the plans and it now sticks better on landing. Do you have the same problem. I don't have the problem with the Brian Taylor corsair.
Brian
Old 08-01-2002, 12:41 AM
Dean-RCU

Hi Brian ; It is a Ziroli with an OS91 and Dynamax fan. Ziroli has more pictures up on his website.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:30 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Beautiful planes guys!

Could someone look closely at their TF jug plan and tell me what the incidence and washout numbers are on the wing? I'm doing a scratch design semi-scale A-20 and would like to use the TF Jug wing as a starting point since it flies so well.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2002, 01:17 PM
Boeing727
My Feedback: (1)

Dean-

would like to exchange info with you ref retracts and "Earl" .....whoever he is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.