Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Stuka documentation etc.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Stuka documentation etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 09:59 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stuka documentation etc.

Now that I have ordered the Ziroli Stuka pre cut kit...I need to gather info about it. I am thinking of attempting a truly scale model and this being my first attempt, I need all the help from the experts about this. How do I start this project? Where can I find the model I want to replicate? what all do I need to know before I start building it.

Thanks,
Anurag
Old 08-04-2002, 11:34 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stuka Reference

Anurag the first thing I would do is to goto http://www.ferretsoft.com and download webferret. It is a search engine you download and it will find a lot of stuff that sites like goggle or dogpile.com and the others cant.

Second> figure out what interests you. Do you want to replicate a famous german pilot that flew one, One from the russian front, one from battle of Britian, one from the desert in your area of the world anything that interests you helps to make things easier.

Third> search the web and collect every bit of info you can even if the website doesnt have any pictures on it the text tells tons.

Fourth> Collect all the walkaround fotos you can and save all fotos you find of the plane or walkaround onto your computer and then burn to cd or save on floppy whatever you have because websites can disappear 5 minutes after you have visited them and added to your favorites. I like to use adobe Acrobat (the full version not the reader) which has a web capture feature and saves webpages and websites as a PDF file.

Fifth> When you find your subject make sure it is the same version as the Plans that you have. or determine what modifications you need to make.

Heres a few links to get you started the first one is a walkaround site that has tons of pics just click on the Propeller plane links and scroll down til you see Stuka. Also if you come across a website for a Plastic model of a stuka that is just as good help too since most plastic models are to scale and a lot of info on them sites because even plastic modellers are into scale and usually 60% of your reference will come from them. The walkaround site is from a Plastic modellers site.

Enjoy

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevo...ther/ju87.html
http://ju87.republika.pl/ramki.html
http://www.kitparade.com/features00/ju87g2bg_1.htm
http://www.accessweb.com/users/mconstab/stuka.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Qu...8662/stuka.htm
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/christophe.a.../stofju87.html
http://members.tripod.com/ju87_stuka/content.htm

There are a few links to help you out. I would also suggest purchasing the Squadron Signal book on the stuka tons of pics and info.

Hope this helps
Joe
Old 08-04-2002, 12:50 PM
Ragz

Wow...this is more info than I had expected to get to start with...MANY THANKS!!!! I really appreciate your advice.

I will keep you posted about the research.

Meanwhile, any more info is also welcome.

Anurag
Old 08-04-2002, 12:53 PM
ProfLooney

Default More info

Goto Zirolis website and snag all the construction photos of the Stuka. there is also a couple construction sites for it too which are here on the forum so just put Ziroli Stuka in the search box and it will have tons of threads on it which prob have more links and info.

Joe
Old 08-04-2002, 12:59 PM
Ragz

is the ziroli ju87 an A, B, C, D, G, H??? what version is it in stock form? What is the coolest version of this plane?

anurag
Old 08-04-2002, 01:10 PM
ProfLooney

Default Version

Not sure on which version it is as I havent really looked the plans over good to see and it isnt listed on the plans. The coolest version I think is in the links I sent you http://www.kitparade.com/features00/ju87g2bg_1.htm the G-2 version from the russian front because it also has the 30MM Wing Cannons

Joe
Old 08-04-2002, 01:13 PM
ProfLooney

Default PS

Also some good scale reference pics in his plastic model and usually if you email the plastic modeller asking abt his reference stuff and getting a copy for your Giant RC Version most think it is really cool and will share with you thus saving you hours of research.

Remember even though it is plastic you have to build the same stuff for your RC so read the article well.

Joe
Old 08-04-2002, 08:55 PM
STUKA BARRY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ANURAG AND PROFLOONEY, NICK'S STUKA IS THE "B-1" MODEL. THE "C" MODEL WAS CARRIER CAPABLE AND AFTER THAT WAS HEAVY MODIFICATIONS, SLEAK NOSE. THE CHIN WAS DELETED AND THE JUMA HIGH OUTPUT ENGINE WAS INSTALLED. THE CANNON WAS ALSO A NEW FEATURE TO THE "D" AND LATER MODELS. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:00 PM
ProfLooney

Default Stuka

Thanks Barry it helps to know that. I have been spending too much time just vectoring parts for plans rather than taking time to look the plans over good.

Joe
Old 08-04-2002, 09:34 PM
STUKA BARRY

THATS WHAT I'M HERE FOR.
Old 08-04-2002, 09:37 PM
ProfLooney

Default hehe

Haha barry thats what im usually there for too feels funny to be on the other end lol
Old 08-07-2002, 06:02 PM
Schwoop

Another Tip I use:

Actually purchase a 1/48 plastic model of the Stuka you plan on building. You don't have to assemble it completely, but it gives you a great 3D view of the entire structure, as well as some of those obscure details.

Especially if you're working from photographs - they only show one side of a component and you can reference how it is positioned, shaped, etc. to the other parts of the plane...

First check the plastic model sites (hyperscale.com) and get reviews on the model kits. You'd hate to purchase a poorly designed plastic model and build that into your Ziroli bird...

Hope this helps...

Craig
Old 08-07-2002, 06:22 PM
STUKA BARRY

HEY SCHWOOP, THATS A COOL NICKNAME. I LIKE THAT. ANYWAY, WAS WONDERING, YOU SEEM TO BE THE PLASTIC MODEL GURU, DO THE SNAP TOGETHER CHEAPIES HAVE AS MUCH DETAIL AS THE EXPENSIVE ONES? ITS FUNNY, WITH PLASTIC MODELS, THE MORE WORK YOU HAVE TO COMPLETE SEEMS TO DICTATE THE PRICE. IN RC THE THE LESS WORK YOU HAVE TO DO THE MORE EXPENSIVE. JUST THOUGHT I'D ASK BEFORE PURCHASING A PLASTIC MODEL.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Schwoop

Stuka Barry,

Thanks - I was nicknamed Schwoop in Germany when my friend's German mom was busy cleaning -and singing "Schvoop de voop" and caught me snickering at her cleaning song---needless to say it stuck!!!

Back to business though: You're correct in plastic models: the more detail, the more $. But before you dish out the dough, here's the process I go through to research the most accurate plastic kit I want to model my rc plane after...

1)Go to the plastic forum sites and read reviews on the kits that have won IPMS (International Plastic Modeler Society) competitions. Believe it or not, there are many, many inaccuracies in plastic kits you'd hate to transfer to your rc project so review, review, review.

2)More than likely the kit you decide upon is NOT offered at your local hobby shop. At least that's my luck anyway! You can mail order most plastic kits from this supplier:

www.squadron.com

Great prices and they carry most kit manufacturers... (These are also the guys who make the Squadron Walk-Around Aircraft Books I'm sure you've seen.)

3) You don't have to build the kit fully if you don't want to. Use if for panel line detail, rivet detail, cowl fittings, wheelpants, wheelwells, cockpit, etc. - more detail than most books can provide.

Let me know how the project goes... My next bird I'm looking at breaking into is a scratch built JU-87...

Schwoop - (Craig)
Old 08-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Ju87BStuka

Ragz,

After much research I chose to base mine on a particular pilot's aircraft.

I used the following references:-
Squadron Signal publications Aircraft No 73 Ju87 Stuka in action
Aero Publishers Inc Junker Ju87 probably out of print but here's the ISBN anyway ISBN-0-8168-0528-8
Jane's Publishing Company Ltd Stuka Ju87 Text by Alex Vanags-Baginskis Illustrations by the well respected Rikyu Watanabe.... ISBN 0 7106 0191 3. This is a beautiful book, and is often included in one of Janes Compendium Series.
Stuka at War by Peter C Smith published by Ian Allen Ltd. ISBN 0 7110 1017 X
Stuka Squadron: Stukagruppe 77 - the Luftwaffe's 'Fire Brigade', again by Peter C Smith published by Patrick Stephens Ltd.ISBN 1 85260 286 4

These are more than picture brooks and will provide quite a bit of history of the aircraft, it's campaigns, famous pilots and so on.

I finally chose the Stuka Ju87B-2 variant, probably the most characteristic, but that's a matter of preference.

This is modeled on an aircraft of 4/St G. 2, that is 4th. Gruppe of Stukageschwader 2, operating in Libya June 1941. Credit should also go to Marc Plummer for finishing the covering and paintwork.

One of the pictures of it's pre-maiden flight is here, but visit
http://www.avonvale.org.uk/ and go to members models and click on the stucka photo for more info. This gal took me 4 years of tenacity to build, from a kit which I can't recommend, but I was determined. It's powered by 4 stroke, O.S. 70 FS in the past, but I'm just about to install an O.S. 90 FS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20716_6395.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	12626  
Old 08-09-2002, 08:33 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

This gal took me 4 years of tenacity to build, from a kit which I can't recommend, but I was determined.

I sure hope it wasn't the Heritage kit!!! I plan on getting one here soon, and if it is let me know backdoor so I don't waste the $$$$$$$$$
Old 08-10-2002, 10:04 AM
Ragz

I have started collecting the data for the stuka docs. Now I will get a couple of plastic kits and figure out how all this adds up. This is gonna be quite an experience for me. I am so glad I have u guys to ask my million questions

Keep this thread alive guys! Let us stuka builders get this going...

thanks,
Anurag
Old 08-30-2002, 06:13 AM
Ragz

Default My Ziroli stuka kit has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys...My pre cut stuka kit has arrived from switzerland. I have also bought a hasegawa plastic kit 1:48 scale. Its a JU87-b2 version. Now its time to get to work. I will keep you guys informed about the developments with pics. I wont be starting too soon, but will keep you posted anyway.

Anurag
Old 08-30-2002, 05:59 PM
grahamd1
My Feedback: (1)

Anurag

Check out http://rc-b25.freewebspace.com/stuka.htm
Old 08-31-2002, 06:43 AM
Ragz

Nice pics....Are there any more sites with construction pics. I have seen the ziroli site already...are there any more picture sites?

thanks.