Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
 C-123 R/C Plans >

C-123 R/C Plans

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

C-123 R/C Plans

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 01:29 AM
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-123 R/C Plans

Has anyone ever made plans for a C-123 twin engine cargo plane for 2 .40-.60 2cycle?
I have loved the idea since seeing "Air America" and "Con Air" with the C-123 in them.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Leo

Default RE: C-123 R/C Plans

There´s a thread going on at RCScalebuilder.com about the C-123 from Palmer Plans,
designed for .60 two strokes
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...sp?FID=22&PN=2
http://www.mag-web.com/rc-modeler/palmer/product.html
Old 09-17-2004, 06:47 AM

Thank you very much! That was exactly what I was looking for. Not cheap though.

Old 09-18-2004, 12:21 AM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Mike, how's things? If you go for the Palmer plans be forewarned, they are a real challenge. I've had four sets of Palmer plans and they are all very cluttered, and Palmer likes to over-engineer things with lots and lots of parts. Not to mention their have been many complaints of ill fitting parts. Not that it can't be done, just be prepared to do your homework. See ya, Chad Veich.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:24 AM

I knew with a description of "Museum Quality" that they would be tough. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:11 AM
My Feedback: (5)

My friend is doing one right now and his biggest complaint like Chad said is the plans! I have a set that I looked over as I was going to help with the build and they are so busy it isn't even funny! I have never seen so many different abbreviations used and if he didn't supply a glossary of what they meant you'd be lost. If you plan on doing one then be ready for some frustration.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:14 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any plans, but I did work in the flight test department of the original XC-123 back in 1949 and 1950. That was at Chase Aircraft in West Trenton, NJ. I still have a lot of the original flight test data, and the most interesting was the "rate of climb on one engine" - downhill all the way.

The original airplane was designed to carry 27,000 lbs. of cargo, and at that time it was powered by two Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engines rated at 1900 HP each. It was designed to sit low to the ground so that all kinds of army vehicles could be driven into it easily. The door served as the ramp into the airplane.

We also built a "glider" version of the C-123, and I was lucky enough to see it make it's first flight. It was towed by a DC-6 and took off from our factory airfield, and landed at Fort Dix. From there it made it's second flight to Wright Patterson where it ramains today.

Here are two photos of the original airplane that I helped test. It would make a great model. Your version would probably show the different rudder supplied by Fairchild when they took over production.

Another modeler, Col John DeVries, who used to write the Giant Scale column in Model Aviatioin, flew the C-123 in the Vietnam war. He told me it was a "bear to fly", and very difficult to land.

I wish you well on your project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29999.gif
Views:	57
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	175964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79812.gif
Views:	63
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	175965