Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Proctor VS. Balsa USA

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Proctor VS. Balsa USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 07:04 PM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proctor VS. Balsa USA

I am planning to build a Nieuport 28 C1 and was wondering which kit you guys would go with - I know they are two different classes of kits but it seems like after you buy the scale wheels, guns and alum. cowl for the BUSA kit you wind up within $100 of the proctor kit? Also does anyone know if the Proctor or the BUSA comes with flying wires and fittings etc. Any info on either (building, flying, anything) would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:24 PM
flailing
My Feedback: (1)

My vote goes to the Proctor, fabulous kit money well spent
Old 08-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Another vote for Proctor.
Their quality, authenticity and customer support is superb.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:06 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

I have built the Proctor kit. After you build it your first thought is that you do not want to cover it, it looks that real.

When you compare this to a Balsa USA kit the finished product looks like, well like a kit.

I have seen Proctor Kits on display uncovered because they look that good.

Proctor flies great. Mine had all the wires and turnbuckles needed but I had to buy the wheels and guns for it.

Balsa USA are good kits and they fly great also. Just depends on what you want. Once the covering goes on ............

tonyc
Old 08-29-2002, 01:14 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,
I've built most of the Proctor's kits, in fact I still have all of them.
Proctor is a builders kit, you must build each wing rib by capping the top and bottom on a 1/32nd web, etc. The only deviation from scale is the fabric covered stab and elevator, I covered mine with 1/64th ply, added minimal weight. Not sure about Balsa USA, but Proctor kits are built mostly of hard wood, mostly bass as I remember, not balsa. There was very little balsa as I remember, in the N 28 kit, and the fact it is hardwood is one of the reasons they last so long. Plus, you'll learn how to form bamboo! They come with all the fittings, turnbuckles, etc. Just have to buy Williams wheels and M/G's. I linked up with the fellow who made the paint for the SPAD in the Smithsonian museum and got some authentic French camouflage paint.
Good luck.
Jon
Old 08-29-2002, 01:54 AM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Balsa USA kit builds into a very nice and great flying plane. They have made some non-scale concessions which can be modified to make it look better. The wing section is too thick and the wheel track is too wide. I made the ribs undercambered to make it look better and redesigned the gear to be narrower and I added a bungee suspension. I sanded the stab, elev, fin, and rudder thinner and sheeted with 1/32 balsa to make it more scale. The stab location is also a little off, but when finished it is a nice-looking model. You have to figure out your own system for wires, too.

If you're going for near-exact scale then go for the Proctor. If you want a nice plane that you're not afraid to fly week-in and week-out then go for the BUSA. Attached is a picture of my Balsa USA Nieuport 28. I've been flying the heck out of it all summer.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	23476_5716.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	14781  
Old 08-29-2002, 01:58 AM
Tmoth4

Here's another view of the same BUSA Nieuport.

Name:	23477_5716.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	14782  
Old 08-29-2002, 03:13 AM
pittsdriver
My Feedback: (7)

Build the Proctor! I have built the 28 and it is a very nice flying airplane. It is very durable as it is built of mostly hardwoods and plywood. All of he parts are handcut and fit perfectly. It does come with all flying wires and turnbuckles. Also Gary and Joe are always a phone call away and will answer any questions. If you have the bucks put a Laser 2.00 V twin engine in it. I have a 3.00 in my Fokker D-7 and it runs great, idles really slow and I have never had a deadstick even without an onboard ignition. Nothing else sounds like it either. Don
Old 08-29-2002, 11:21 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Proctor Nieuport at the Canadian 50th Anniversary Nats... placed 3rd. She's a magnificent flyer, I had little problem, even with strong crosswinds.....

Name:	23496_6878.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	14783  
Old 08-29-2002, 02:32 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Proctor Albatros, still NIB. It is so detailed in its construction that I have had it for around 5 yrs and still have not committed to building it.

Don't get me wrong I love the Kits, but after I build it, will I display it uncovered or fly it??