Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Tiger Moth Aileron Differential

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Tiger Moth Aileron Differential

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 03:02 AM
florida817
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger Moth Aileron Differential

The full scale Tiger Moth has a tremendous amount of aileron differential, something like 10" of up aileron travel and 1.5" down measured at the TE.

Do those folks flying 1/4 scale model (88" span) TMoths like Clark's or Flair's kits set them up that way, or is there some aerodynamic difference between full scale and 1/4 scale that alters the amount of differential required?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-30-2002, 06:29 PM
Tmoth4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have differential set up on my 1/4 Tigermoth, not as extreme as the full-sized, though. It still is hard to get a roll out of it but it doesn't seem to hurt. It might make the turns a little smoother. I did it by offsetting the servo wheel to get more up than down.

The Dennis Bryant Tmoth plans show a very scale-like setup for the ailerons.

Jim
Old 09-02-2002, 01:46 PM
florida817

Default Tiger Moth Differential

Thanks for replying, Jim.

I set mine up per the plans with the servo arm 30 deg. forward at neutral, which gives some differential. From there I can dial in more in my TX if need be, although from your experience it doesn't sound like I'll ever need to get as extreme as full scale.

I still haven't decided on an engine. I'd like to use a small gas engine, but haven't made a choice. What do you have installed in your TMoth?

Tom
Old 09-02-2002, 04:52 PM
Tmoth4

Tom,

I built my moth from the 1/4 scale Mike Smart plans from Bob Holman. I used the smaller Dennis Bryant plans as a reference because they're more accurate, and I made some mods from the M. Smart plans.

I have a converted 30cc Homelite in mine. I hopped up the engine a little by using the bigger bore carb from Carrprecision. I had planned on using a Ryobi 31cc but I can't get it to run reliably. I think the Fuji 32cc or the Zenoah 38cc would be good. Both have a rear exhaust which would save some problems with the narrow nose. You'd have to cut a hole for the carb though. The Zenoah 23 would probably be enough power but you'd have to deal with the side exhaust. Mine weighs 17 lbs. and flies in a scale-like manner. It can do some limited aerobatics and does real nice spins. More power doesn't really make it go any faster, because of all the drag, I think.

What plans or kit did you use? You might have to beef up the nose area a little with some ply and gussets for a gas engine.

Click on "gallery" button below to see a picture of my moth.

Jim
Old 09-04-2002, 04:21 AM
florida817

Default Tiger Tales

Hi Jim,

My Tiger Moth is a 1/4 scale also, from the Clark kit. I bought it from a fellow in California a couple of months ago and am learning it's ins and outs as I get it ready to fly this Fall/Winter. It's a nice looking model (trainer yellow) with lots of detail so I'm pleased so far. I bought a set of plans and instructions from Clark so I wouldn't do something dumb - like get the CG wrong.

The Clark kit is based on a Quadra or Ryobi for power, so there's lots of ply in the firewall area. I'll have to build a short ply box off the firewall to pick up the rear of the engine, but that's not a problem.

You're definitely right on the rear exhaust. Makes things much easier. That long, narrow cowl means one way or the other I'm probably going to have to cut a hole for the carb. Sure hate to do it though. I'm still accumulating engine information - thanks for the tip on the Fuji, hadn't thought of that one.

I checked the photo of your Moth in the gallery - what a beauty! I really like the colors and markings - lots of detail too. Just a really nice airplane.

Tom
Old 09-04-2002, 03:48 PM
Tmoth4

Tom,

I hated to cut the hole in the cowl for the carb but it doesn't stick out all that much. There is also a big air cleaner or scoop on the full size which could cover this up for static display. When I'm flying it I leave it off. I had to build a ply standoff on the firewall to mount the engine. The Ryobi would have fit real well, with it's rear exhaust and intake, but then priming and choking would have been a problem.

Thanks for the compliments. I like to see some pictures of yours also.

Jim