Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Slipping Aileron Servo Arm

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Slipping Aileron Servo Arm

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 11:29 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slipping Aileron Servo Arm

For what it's worth, some time back I must have grabbed an old servo arm and cut cut it to work with an aileron servo of another brand in my '40-size Coverite Gee Bee Sportster which I repaired and got flying again after 20 years. I had four nice flights until the fifth flight where the plane banked left on its own and crashed , cracking the wing again and ruining the red and white scalloped and pin-striped covering, etc Luckily I found the culprit, the servo arm had slipped on the splines so that I had no right aileron control. Moral, don't mix brands of servos and and servo arms and make sure the screw is snug. I'm only glad this didn't hurt somebody.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:57 AM
GPaloz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes the cost of an education can be high!
Old 09-03-2002, 02:03 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well if you want to see if you used the wrong servo arm
You can count the splines. if there is anything left to count on your servo?
I use jr, futaba and Hitec servos. And I have to be very careful with the JR arm and the Hitec servo. The arm will fit on and seam snug, but it will slip under a load
I forget which is which but they all 3 have a different number of splines 24/25/26 ?? Something like that

or else the crash stripped you servo, but that usually strips the internal gears of a servo?

I hope you find the cause. I hate not knowing
Old 09-03-2002, 02:10 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default slipping servo arm

That was exactly the cause. Bought a new Hitec servo just to be safe and am sure I've got compatible stuff now. Luckily wing damage was accessible and have it repaired and repair area recovered. It's a pain to prime, mask and spray paint scalloped red and white pinstriped Gee Bee wing design but at least the red wing numerals were not damaged.

I posted this problem to alert others to differences in splines, etc.
Thanks for the reply
Old 09-03-2002, 03:22 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm glad you got it figured out

As far as the repair goes, that’s the price we pay for having nice looking "Unique" airplanes. If I didn't love the planes I'd just fly ARF's like most guys.
The building, covering, painting, flying, crashing, fixing, painting and flying all over again is worth the complements you get when you bring a nice plane to the field!!

Make it beautifully again, after all it’s yours!!