Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Need your Idea's

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Need your Idea's

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 03:00 PM
RCHYFLYER
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your Idea's

I'm building the TF Cessna and I am almost ready for paint but I need some idea's. My plane has the strobe lights and the nav lights in the wing tip,they are close together and I want to put some sort of clear cover over them. I looking to protect the stobe bulb from breaking if impacted as well as trying to make it look somewhat scale! Does anyone have any idea's they want to share on what I might be able to usefor a clear cover?
Old 02-27-2005, 03:40 PM
the-plumber

Default RE: Need your Idea's

RADIAL ENGINES DON'T LEAK OIL, THEY ARE JUST MARKING THEIR TERRITORY!

If it's not leaking, don't get in it 'cuz it's empty !
Old 02-27-2005, 03:50 PM
RCHYFLYER

Old 02-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCHYFLYER

I'm building the TF Cessna and I am almost ready for paint but I need some idea's. My plane has the strobe lights and the nav lights in the wing tip,they are close together and I want to put some sort of clear cover over them. I looking to protect the stobe bulb from breaking if impacted as well as trying to make it look somewhat scale! Does anyone have any idea's they want to share on what I might be able to usefor a clear cover?
Depending on the size of the bulb and area to cover, how about the plastic from a "blister pack" for over the counter pills ? They come in a variety of shapes and sizes. I have found the plastic used for sinus pills is usually quite firm.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:24 PM
RCHYFLYER

I will need to cover an area of about 1 inch long and a 1/4" wide. I'm affraid a pill blister pak if impacted would hold it's damage. I was thinking something with the strength of lets say model windshield.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:56 AM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

MAKE A HARD WOOD MOLD OF THE SHAPE AND USE WINDSHIELD BUTERATE PLASTIC AND HEAT IT UP WITH A HAIR DRYER AND PULL IT AROUND YOUR MOLD,THEN CUT AND TRIM TO A PERFECT FIT,GLUE WITH RC 56 AS IT DRYS CLEAR AND HOLD GREAT.HAVE SEEN THIS DONE ON A FEW AND WORKS GOOD.OH MOUNT YOUR WOOD PLUG ON A PIECE OF DOWL WOOD AND PUT IN A VISE TO HOLD IT
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
RCHYFLYER

Sounds good I will give that a try.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 PM
CRAZYRYAN

well if your worried about impact on your beautifull strobes guess what? your whole wing will come off nothing is going to protect it and some of the real planes ive seen don't even have strobe protectors
Old 03-04-2005, 09:19 AM
RCHYFLYER

ORIGINAL: CRAZYRYAN

well if your worried about impact on your beautifull strobes guess what? your whole wing will come off nothing is going to protect it and some of the real planes ive seen don't even have strobe protectors
What?? you lost me with that whole post there dude! The strobe bulbs are glass, so I'm just trying to keep from busting them if it gets bumped, as in loading or unloading to or from the flying field. And on the real Cessna the strobe are in a housing that protects them.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a chunk of Lexan plastic. Its what motorcycle windshields are made of. You could get a scrap piece about 1/2" thick. A plastics shop would probably give it to you. Use a dremil to shape then sand it to your standards. It doesnt really need to be transparent. If you bust that, its probably the least of your problems.
Edwin