Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 08:58 PM
iaclmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

Hi all ...
I have finally settled on a winter project. I am looking for the Bud Nosen's Plans for the "MR. MULLIGAN". I believe he had 2 sets released. One was for 1/4 scale and one a bit smaller. I can work with either one. However I would prefer the 1/4 scale plans. Anyone out there know the where-abouts of this little jem??? I would be most appreciative of any help!! Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:36 AM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: New Project = Bud Nosen "MR MULLIGAN"

I have a Bud Nosen 1/4 scale Mr Mulligan kit that has never been opened. I could make a copy of the plans. The only problem is I'm not sure where the kit is at the moment. It is either here in Pittsburgh or at my winter home in Arizona. I'll check here and if it is in AZ I will be there in a couple weeks and could get them then. If I don't get back to you in the next few weeks drop my a reminder and I'll get them to you. [email protected] [8D]

Harry
Old 10-17-2005, 01:32 PM
iaclmac

Thanks Harry !!!!! There should be an email on your box with all my information.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine has a Bud Nosen kit new in the box (1/4 scale) that he would sell. I am also building this plane right now. I have it almost ready to cover. Some pictures and rants can be seen at this site; http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=4264&PN=1 Let me know.......
Old 10-20-2005, 07:39 PM
iaclmac

Hey Prop Nut ... Your Mr Mulligan looks really good. As far as your friend with the kit goes .... I will definately keep it in mind. However, Mr Harry is going to copy the plans from his kit for me. The reason that I am looking for the Nosen plans as opposed to the kit is simple. Due to my space constraints and my personal preferences, I would be reducing the plans to a 72" span. I believe that would be about a 33% reduction or 66% of the original size.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Prop Nut

Good point, this is a really big airplane. Good luck and keep me posted on your build.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:06 PM
grump010
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just cracked the box on my Bud Nosen, Mr Mulligan. I've studied the plans and read all the posts I can find here and RC Scale Builder. I am struggling with the power plant choices. Have you made a decision about engine choice.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Prop Nut

Hi Grump,

I chose a Quadra 50cc for mine. I have been told to put a G62 on it by several people and others say that it will fly very well with a G26, I guess it depends on what you want to do with the finished product. Here are a few pictures of mine. I have not yet covered mine but that is pretty much all that is left to do. I found the spruce in the box to be very very warped, bowed and bent. So I replaced them with Cherry that I had laying around the shop (I own a small cabinet shop). I changed my wing joining system to a stronger tube system to take some of the strain off the struts in inverted flight as the struts are actual flying struts and not just for scale looks. I hope these help. As you can see, I didnt use the stock wing tip system, it just didnt work out very well for me( I dont have three hands!!! lol). The wing tubes are pretty easy to see, you can get those thru Gater RC Products. The nose is longer than I want it but I am going to modify my Quadra50 by removing the mounting cup and bolting it directly to the firewall. If you notice, I inverted the engine box to go in instead of out, giving me someplace for my fuel and smoke tanks and also clearance for the spring starter on the engine. A G45 would take care of the length problem as I think they are not as keep as the Quadra 50, but I am not sure. If you need them sometime I can get the measurements for you. I put this plane on the back burner while I built my Fokker DVII 1/4 scale and my Sopwith Pup 1/4 scale. (the DVII is done and the Pup has the wings finished up)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12950.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	373871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89273.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	373872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98948.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	373873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87804.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	373874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74626.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	373875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du21881.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	373876  
Old 12-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Prop Nut

More pictures

Name:	Om34338.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	373878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99443.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	373879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39720.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	373880  
Old 12-22-2005, 06:12 PM
grump010

I've heard and read the same about engine size. It would be nice to hear first hand expierience from those who have flown with various engines. I will be purchasing the engine for this model and don't want to underpower/ overpower and have to replace it after the first flight. My flying style is more laid back and scale as opposed to "hang it off the prop" type of flying.

I have the original Bud Nosen kit and I completed the inventory of wood last night. I'm impressed with the wood quality. Did you replace any of the balsa stringers with spruce or pretty much build it to original spec? I read in a posting that this model will build strong enough as designed for a 2 stroke gas, but there are still areas that I will probably beef-up, just don't want to add to much weight. The weight goal will be approximatly 20 #'s give or take a #. I like your wing tip idea, I will be borrowing it for mine, easier to build and stronger without much weight penalty. Wing tube is a must, I built a Sig Citabria about 8 years ago and after about 3 years of use I gave it to a buddy who folded the wings on first flight because he didn't install the struts. Oh well it was a nice looking plane. When you made the holes in the ribs for the wing tube did you off set the holes in the ribs to add a bit of dihedral or just ct them all the same?

Mahalo and Merry Christmas

Daryl B.
aka Grump010
Old 12-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Prop Nut

I actually added a 1" dihedral at the tips, otherwise it looks like that wings are drooping. When I did the tubes, I made the holes larger in size then used plywood with the proper size hole and glued them in place when I was happy with the angle, this seemed to work great. I had heard people talking about using spruce instead of the balsa stringers but mine seems really strong with the balsa, again it must be if you are going to be doing waterfalls and other 3D manouvers with it, lol. I didnt like the landing gear configuration so I am using 1/4 music rod and offsets to strenthen them instead of the supplied rod.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:48 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

David

I hope you get back to this project soon. It's my favorite of your three Winter builds.

I'm looking forward to seeing it flying nrxt to my MonoCoupe.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Prop Nut

It will be ready come spring Tom. Just have to figure out what color scheme to do it in..........hmmmmm......olive drab sounds good
Old 12-25-2005, 05:23 AM
TomCrump

David, You know my club is full of scale builders. If you finish it in anything but a scale scheme (white) your BBQ connection could easily be cut off !!!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:58 PM
x-craft

This aircraft will make a great addition to our 30's vintage aircraft up here David, I can't wait to see it fly. Maybe I'll have my Stinson ready to fly with you.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Prop Nut

Hey Grump, anything new with the Mulligan?
Old 01-02-2006, 09:55 AM
TomCrump

I see that the scope, listerene, and mouth wash, has brought you back to life. Now get out into your shop and work on your Mulligan !!!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Prop Nut

The Mulligan will be done in time, I am going to build the Sopwith Pup first though. You know my interests are much more those of the dawn of Warbirds, not as much the golden age of civil aviation.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:56 AM
grump010

No progress to report. We were out of town visiting family over the Christmas holiday. I am now back to reviewing the plan.

I still haven't determined what I will use for power. I'm leaning toward the MVVS or Evolution 35cc, what are your thoughts on this engine choice? This shouldn't cause to much delay in construction though, tommorrow I will get the plans copied for my archives and begin making the templates of the undrawn parts. Then onto construction, waaahooo.

Cheers
Grump010
Old 01-02-2006, 12:18 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Here's a picture of mine at last year's Joe Nall. Power is a Zenoah G-38 with spring start & Pitts muffler. I added an inch of dihedral to the wings strictly for looks. It looked like the wings were drooping without it. It didn't noticeably change the flying characteristics. If I could do it over again, I'd definitely incorporate wing tubes. The wings are a pain to get on and off if you build it per the plans. The G-38 provides plenty of power for scale flight and more. The airframe is very light and should be reinforced if planning to hang a G-62 on the front

Good flying airplane and always a crowd favorite. Anybody who doesn't like Golden Age aircraft just has to be some kind of pervert

Name:	Us53527.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	379617  
Old 01-02-2006, 05:37 PM
grump010

GaGeeBees,
The G38 appears to be the most popular engine choice by far. If you don't mind I have a few questions about your Bird. How was the final balance acheived, did you have to add any dead weight. What would you recommend for the prop. Did you use the original cowl and wheel pants or purchase aftermarket replacements.

I will be using the wing tube and dihedral mods in my build. Based on the response from this and other forums I will be using the G38 also. As this is my first foray into Gas and the G38 has a proven track record of reliability and that works for me.

Thanks for your input

Grump
Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Prop Nut

GaGeebees, Your Mulligan looks awesome. I agree that a G38 should be perfect, I am using the Quadra50 because I picked it up very cheap and it runs great.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:44 PM
GaGeeBees

Hi Grump,

I didn't add any ballast. It was a bit nose heavy but I was able to move the receiver pack back far enough to balance it. Prop is a Master Airscrew "Classic" 18x6 and the 38 seems to really like it. Cowl and pants came from Fiberglass Specialties Part #'s BN-3SR (cowl) and #34 (wheel pants). Their quality is outstanding. I've been really happy with the G-38. B&B makes the Pitts-type muffler and spring starter and a beautiful polished aluminum spinner and a whole lot of other great stuff. Keep me posted on your project. Below is a shot of the other side.

Regards,
Paul

Name:	Hf98776.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	379841  
Old 01-02-2006, 08:11 PM
GaGeeBees

Thankya Prop Nut! It's really stand off scale (okay... more like stand-WAY-off-and-squint scale) but its got good lines I appreciate the kind words. Happy New Year!
Old 01-28-2006, 08:00 PM
GaGeeBees

Bad day at the flying field today. Took the Mulligan out and fired it up. Did a high speed taxi to get a feel for the ground handling again and then turned it around to taxi back to takeoff position. As I revved the engine to swing the tail around, one blade of the prop abruptly departed. The resulting imbalance had the most spectacular effect. The firewall broke loose first and the now one-bladed prop proceeded to eat the cowl and then moved on to the fuse. Most everything from the windshield forward is now kindling. What a mess! It's repairable but it's going to be a lot of work. Not sure why the prop failed as there was no strike at any time. Could've been much worse. If it had happened while airborne there would be a lot more kindling. I'll post pics once I have the heart to look at the darned thing again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.