Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Building a Bonanza

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Building a Bonanza

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:27 AM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Bonanza

I would think that would be plenty of power for one that did.nt weigh over 15#. Not sure that it wouldn't work with even a heavier model.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Gunner1068
My Feedback: (7)

I seem to be the last of the Bonanza builders who (were once) good about posting here. Our cousins over on the ARROW thread are dancing with the release of the Arrow. . . While the Arrow is a nice plane, with nice lines, I'm still a die-hard Bonanza lover. My plane is nearing its 70 % done range. Installing hinges and engine as we speak.

Anyone else out there still laboring over one of these beautiful planes???

Robert
Old 03-27-2005, 02:40 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I've still got one NIB I'm getting ready to start, and plan on posting my progress when I begin. Just a little while longer...
Old 03-27-2005, 06:40 PM
teamscalepilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Cousin Robert!! Now that We finished the ARROW project we can get back to our other projects. 4 TF Bonanzas to framed up 2 NIB
2 T-34s and the Barron 55. Kit bashed from the TF Bonanza kit. And you thought we only built cars in The Motor City!!!!

I must get back to work before that big dinner puts me to sleep... Your TF Cousin David!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 07:55 PM
foxflyr

you are not alone. I have a NIB that I have been collecting /making parts for the past three years. My latest project has been to build the lighting system. I built a circuit designed by another poster and it works great.
I have also designed a scale flap hook up that eliminates the hinges hanging below the wing, as soon as I have the prototypes built I will send pictures. Soon soon I hope to be framing it up. will post updates as I go.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Gunner1068

Hey TF Cousin (David) and others..nice to hear from you guys. I was starting to feel a little left out of the loop here with everyone gone to the field w/ their Bonanzas and other TF products. I can't wait to see that Baron Bash, someone should definately make a Baron kit.

If I ever won the lottery, I swear, I'd create a model aircraft company and mass produce scale civilian models, some that would be worthy of Top Gun, some for Sunday fliers. SOOOOOO many people want scale civilian model planes.

My TF Bonanza progress report: getting ready to mount the tail feathers and string the turtle deck. I've replaced the balsa hinge blocks with bass wood (balsa isn't as strong as I'd like for hinge blocks) and routed the wires for the strobes and nav lights. This coming week: finish sheeting the fuselage and wing, install switches for the light system. Man I need a digital camera to notate my work...

Would love to see some other Bonanzas when you guys get them closer to being finished...

Robert.....you TF cousin from Waltham, MA
Old 03-28-2005, 08:53 PM
teamscalepilot

You would like the coragation in the ARROW check out the manual in the TF website it's doable on the Bonanza. Now back to my documentation for the ARROW!!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:52 AM
uglyflyer
My Feedback: (10)

Howdy everyone,
I'm pretty new at this scale building so I'll be looking for a lot of advice from all you experts. I don't mean to change the subject from these nice Top Flite Bonanza kits but I have acquired an old SIG Bonanza with the standard tail configuration and I was wanting to know if anybody knows of any of these with any scale features added. Like flaps, Landing gear, Lights and it would be nice to find a cockpit kit that would fit. Do you think a Top Flite cockpit would fit a SIG kit? I'm trying to gather all the parts and extra's before getting started.
Any advice or help anyone is willing to give would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first scale project.
Rick
Old 05-17-2005, 10:39 PM
balcorn

Hello all,
I am a complete newbie when it comes to building r/c planes. I do have a plane and fly it, but have never built one. I do however enjoy the idea of building my own and taking pride in doing it. (yes, I have a lot of patience). I just bought a HOB Beechcraft Bonanza kit and will be receiving it within the week. Just wanted to see if anyone has any first time building tips, cautions or warnings for me. I'm sure I will be posting a lot soon, and thanks for any help.
-Bobby
Old 05-22-2005, 04:33 AM
varble4u

Not to hijack , If anyone is looking for a NIB Bonanza I have one along with the Robart scale gear for this model . I also have the scale cockpit ,fiberglss cowl, fuselage fairing tailcone, scale light set. Also super tiger .91 as well as the in cowl muffler for plane. Picked it up a couple of years ago , but have been working in Iraq. I will be home in 8 weeks and live in So Cal if you would care to check it out. e-mail me at [email protected] Ken
Old 06-11-2005, 08:55 PM
gibb

Here's a few pics of my latest bonanza. Anyone flying Bonanza's now?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89400.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	283521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22751.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	283522   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28449.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	283523  
Old 09-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Gunner1068

Jim, What a NICE plane you have there. I was part of the original post here last year. I'm STILL plugging away at getting my Bonanza done, but life keeps getting in the way (I'm sure all can relate)

I keep wishing this thread will revitalize itself. I'll always keep one candle burning over here in the Boston area, and I'll post my maiden flight pics here (one year!!)

Robert
Old 02-06-2006, 04:46 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

I've had a TF NIB Gold Edition Bonanza kit for about four years now. I've never even taken everything out of the box. Will it still be good? Not sure what could go wrong other than warpage. Does balsa get brittle or weak over time due to moisture content going up and down?

I've been putting off building this kit because when I got back into the hobby a couple years ago I got hooked on aerobatics and am currently into the 3D stuff (my lame attempts anyway). I still love the scale aspect of this hobby and would love to build this kit as scale as possible, (or sell it for another Extra). Great thread. Glad I found it.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:18 PM
rschaffer

I've got one NIB that has a Saito 1.50 slated for it. Need to finish two Byron/Iron Bay Corsairs before I can devote the necessary time for this kit. I haven't even opened the box yet, but have printed off the directions and addendums from the Top Flite website and looked through them. Looking forward to building her. Plan on glassing and painting rather than Monokote. Haven't gotten the retracts yet, but one of these days. Anybody have any good color schemes from full scale Bonanza's that could be used for scale documentation?

Some great looking ships in this thread. Thanks for makin' me drool....
Old 03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Bonanza_Pilot

I am thinking of putting the wheel doors on and main wheel brakes. Any suggestions? I was thinking of buying BVM jets wheel brakes.

Thanks, Carlos

Name:	Us53214.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	422214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95885.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	422215  
Old 03-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Great looking models guys! Is this kit still available? What are the dimensions? What is the best price you have found and where? I have two Bonanzas renting space in my hangar, my neighbor has a bonanza, there are several more in the airpark. I want to paint it like my neighbors plane with all the bells and whistles. If you guys need any close up photos ( you know, gear doors, panel lines, lights and such) let me know and I can post them. His plane is getting a new engine this month so it's away getting spiffed up but it'll be back soon.

Just finished reading the whole thread! Wow! Wish I had seen it a bit earlier like maybe 2003?!
Old 10-28-2006, 11:17 PM
oliveDrab

For anyone still reading this Bonanza thread, here's an interesting paint scheme for the "Attack Bonanza".

Name:	Yw68657.gif
Views:	68
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	550222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56039.gif
Views:	82
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	550223  
Old 11-06-2006, 12:23 PM
baronpilot

Surprisingly, it's a twin engine design. Yep. Had two franklin's jammed in there and one hell of a gear box. Obviously, not the greatest acheivments.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 AM
teamscalepilot

Chech out the pictures of the new Speedslope canopy on the Tf bonanza Barron bash. It fits the Bonanza and gives it a modern look. 40.00+ S&H....
Old 12-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

hey guys are there any mufflers out the for the os 91 fx that will fit on this plane i really dont wanna hack the cowl up.......what are all you 91fx guys using..
Old 01-01-2008, 07:52 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

This is all theory so far, simply because mine's not finished yet. So FWIW:

I also didn't want to hack up the cowl on my Bonanza, but also wanted enough power, so I stuffed a Magnum 91 2-stroke under the cowl. I trust the guy that runs our LHS, and after looking at muffler pipe diameters and baffle openings, he recommended using the Top Flite cannister muffler and adaptor. I know Tower's got all kinds of warnings about not using the TF muffler on a 91, but I don't see why it won't work... if anything, there might not be enough back pressure. But I haven't fired it up yet, so who knows?

I cut a couple of big holes in the firewall, and then ran some ducting down at about a 45* angle out the bottom of the fuselage for cooling. Ran the exhaust header out on of the ducts, so the cowl is intact.

Now if I can figure out how to make the nose gear doors work...

Fred
Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Grotesquebass

lets see some pics of the ducting and your setup i will be starting this project as soon as my stinson is done and wanna have all aspects covered...you are talking about the top flite in cowl muffler right???
Old 01-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Grotesquebass

so i have a question about the balance of these planes i have read everywhere they are tailheavy is one tail configuration more tail heavy then another? i imagine the straight tail would be more then the v tail setup any advice would be great
Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FallDownGoBoom

This is all theory so far, simply because mine's not finished yet. So FWIW:

I also didn't want to hack up the cowl on my Bonanza, but also wanted enough power, so I stuffed a Magnum 91 2-stroke under the cowl. I trust the guy that runs our LHS, and after looking at muffler pipe diameters and baffle openings, he recommended using the Top Flite cannister muffler and adaptor. I know Tower's got all kinds of warnings about not using the TF muffler on a 91, but I don't see why it won't work... if anything, there might not be enough back pressure. But I haven't fired it up yet, so who knows?

I cut a couple of big holes in the firewall, and then ran some ducting down at about a 45* angle out the bottom of the fuselage for cooling. Ran the exhaust header out on of the ducts, so the cowl is intact.

Now if I can figure out how to make the nose gear doors work...

Fred
When this muffler came out back, in the mid '90s, it was listed for the .90 size engines, but it was discovered, to be way too restrictive, and causes too much internal heat in the .90 size engines. There was quite a bit of discussion, on the old RCO sites, back before it became RCU. GP then revisesed the size back down to .75 for the muffler.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Grotesquebass

i was looking around and seen that jtec has some nice mufflers that look like they will fit anyone have any expirience???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.