Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Building a Bonanza

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Building a Bonanza

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 05:19 PM
swill
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Bonanza

Kenn,

ahhhh - just getting to that point in the construction process - I've held off because I'm thinking of ordering fiberglass parts, rather than using the ABS that comes in the kit. Yes, the cabin area is removable (from formers F2 to F7, if I remember off the top of my head). The cabin/canopy is one piece and there is a plywood frame you glue to the bottom of it.

you first install the wood blocks to receive the hold down screws, then fit the plywood bottom frame. Sand that so it matches the profile of the fuse and then glue the canopy/cabin to that. Then you work on fitting it to the formers F2 and F7. You can download the manual from the TF website to see for yourself.

On a little HOB Bonanza I built, it was pretty much the same way, 'cept it's non-removable. You can just use filler to accomodate and make a smooth transition. We'll see. I have yet to order the parts, just got back from LOTS of holiday travels.

- Scott
Old 01-03-2003, 12:27 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Good description of the process. I used the f/g parts myself from Fiberglass Specialties, was very happy with them. The fit of the windows is precise to the cutouts of the fiberglass outlines for the windows. Be CAREFUL when using the dremel sander here as you wont have a lot to play with if you stick close to the lines on the f/g. I got a great fit with all of the windows, even the front windscreen which had a little warpish effect to it, wasn't noticeable in the final product. The cockpit itself is not removable, only the top of the fuse (the f/g part) which mounts to the cabin crutch described above. Be advised that if you want to have some space in the fuse area, the cockpit kit takes it ALL. Mine looks like the back of my stereo cabinet with all of the wires tied off and air lines routed in the fuse formers, kind of a mess to get everything hooked up at the field, but seems to work well enough, so no complaints here.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:05 AM
cubflipper02
Banned

Guys,I'm building the T-34 from Topflite,pretty much the same airplane besides the tail and cockpit area.Is the cowl on the Bonanza the same as the T-34?I'd like to go with fiberglass instead of the abs.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:36 AM
swill

Latest update - got to work on the final details of the wing this past weekend (after a month and a half break, glad to be back!) Anyway, cut out the ailerons and fitted the flaps. Cut the 'holes' for the retracts and fit all the hatches for ailerons & flaps.

Worked on getting all the fits to look nice (at the aileron to wing, aileron to flap, flap to wing root, etc) Have yet to hook up the air lines to the retracts and try those out - so I don't want to sheet the center section til I know everything works.

Will post some pics of the fuse shortly - today also fitted the wing and installed the bolts for that ('nother story with 3 trips to Home Depot involved). Anyway, enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	45644_1169.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	21485  
Old 01-07-2003, 02:40 AM
PT21Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default Bonanza

Looking good swill. I sure wish I was as far along as you are with my T-34. Keep up the good work.

Jerry
PT21Flyer
Old 01-07-2003, 03:11 AM
swill

Jerry, same here - yours looks good, too. Want to come over and make the scale doors for mine? What engine have you decided on?? I know it may be overkill (more so with the Webra), but I'm thinking either a Webra 120 (26 oz without muffler) or OS/Saito 120 (Saito 28.9 oz, OS 31.2 oz). I know we need weight up front - and a Saito 100's very light... OS 91FX would probably work, but the Webra is the same price and I love the way Webra's run in general. However, will need to find an acceptable muffler.

Here's the backend... one half hinged and trial fit. Going to use Du-Bro pinned hinges, instead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	45653_1169.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	21486  
Old 01-07-2003, 03:34 AM
PT21Flyer

Default Power

swill,

I've got an ASP .91 new in box that I've had for many years. It's a silver head that was before the red heads.

I modified all my control surfaces and am using Robart pinned hinges set back in rounded leading edges.

Jerry
Old 01-07-2003, 08:18 PM
swill

Our friends at TF have discontinued the cockpit kit!! I bought *everything* for this kit (including the cockpit kit, which I backordered from Tower last Nov). Got a letter from Tower stating my order could not be fulfilled because it's discontinued.

emailed GP asking where I could locate one and they offered this

"As far as getting a cockpit for the Bonanza, I can offer a couple of avenues of approach, short of scratchbuilding one, which is not an excercise for the faint of heart.

One is to check on Ebay. Quite a lot of R/C items have been popping up on this site recently, and chances are good that given a little time, the item you want will show up. Another is to post on rcuniverse.com that you are looking for the cockpit kit. Once again, chances are good that sooner or later, someone will have what you want.

Another thing to check is aftermarket manufacturers. Dynamic Balsa (dbalsa.com) makes cockpit kits and may make one for this model. You also might get a response from an aftermarket firm on rcuniverse.com."

DUH!
Old 01-08-2003, 11:09 PM
Bill Yonescu
My Feedback: (44)

Default Cockpit Kit

Hi!,

I also am in the process of building the TF Bonanza. I also back-ordered the Cockpit kit and after 3 months I got a post card saying sorry but it's been discontinued. I then went to the Tower Web Page and noticed the Cockpit kit was removed from my backorder list. I also noticed the Cockpit kit was still showing as "Mid December" so I reordered it. Guess what?.. I was sent two Cockpit kits at the end of December. Then I got another card saying they have been discontinued.

Tower does have them, in fact I sent the my second one back a week ago. If you call customer service and don't let them say "no", I think you will get one.

Good Luck and keep up the nice work.

Bill
Old 01-10-2003, 03:53 AM
Shangri-La

Swill,
I have been following your progress on the Bonanza. I have alot of interest in it since I have the kit also. I plan on building it in the near future. I sent you an E-Mail concerning your cockpit kit.
You're doing a wonderful job building the Bonanza.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:01 PM
swill

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful! I'll see what Tower has to say for itself and then if that doesnt pan out (alredy paid the shipping costs) then I might contact you Shangri-La.

Waiting on my engine (from member GeeBee), an OS 120 SP! At 38 oz, that should solve a lot of the tail heavy problem ... and waiting on f/glass parts from Fiberglass Specialities. He has to make them and said will ship in 3 weeks.

- Scott
Old 01-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Bill Yonescu
My Feedback: (44)

Default Cockpit Kit

I just got an e-mail from Tower saying they have the cockpit kits "in limited quantities"

Bill
Old 01-15-2003, 09:47 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some spectacular looking models! Makes me want one! Now if I could find a Piper Warrior...
Old 01-15-2003, 10:00 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JohnVH
Some spectacular looking models! Makes me want one! Now if I could find a Piper Warrior...
Here's an Arrow...close enough?

http://www.internet-rc.com/pipar2byav.html

Don
Old 01-15-2003, 10:01 PM
JohnVH

Wow, pretty close for me!

Wonder how nice it is. I really like this Bonanza thread, love the looks of them too!
Old 01-17-2003, 01:45 AM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Default ASKING EVERYONE ON THIS THREAD

once again I am involved with the TF BeechBonanza. I have been struggling with a student who is very HARD HEADED. Cannot get him to LEARN TO FLY.......the man is a Professional Pilot with GULFSTREAMS......he is probably the very BEST BUILDER I have ever seen, even though he has only been doing this recently. When he announced he had purchased the kit, he also said the ENGINE would be the ST .75....(!) Now I knew through INJUNEARS' writings that the .75 is no good on this plane, and I clearly told my student NOT to use it on the Bonanza. The plane is now finished, he actually paid $500.00 to have it skinned and painted.......it is a real MUSEUM PIECE........it hangs in one of the local HOBBY SHOPS......and everybody knows that with the .75 it has become a Hangar Queen nobody who "knows" would buy it for flying.......My question to all the builders in this thread is this: How extensive would be the work required to remove the .75 and switch to a more adequate motor ?.....like an OS 1.20 ???
they tell me the plane weighs in at around 17Lbs. The builder tells me that not even switching to the ST .90 is possible, unless the FINS on the head were ground away, the clearances are so close inside that cowl.
IS ALL THIS WORK, WORTHWHILE ?
SHOULD I GIVE IT UP ENTIRELY ?
and let the plane be a Hangar-Queen forever ????????
the plane is so unbelievably done, that EVERY RIVET is accounted for !!!!!!
RICK
Old 01-17-2003, 01:53 AM
JohnVH

Get us some pictures
Old 01-17-2003, 01:32 PM
swill

All - I apologize more pics haven't been added recently. Perhaps I'll get a chance to take some tonite before we leave town for the weekend... things have been busy, waiting on the glass parts from Fiberglass Specialities, assembling an ARF or two before they come... my engine came (OS 120S- supercharged)

Rick - I'd love to see that model! As far as the motor... if it has the supplied GP adjustable engine mount then it shouldn't be too hard to adapt a new 'traditional' motor (i.e. 2-stroke or 4-stroke). The Bonanza manual states that fins had to be ground away for the .75, I believe. the .90 for sure. Dont know if you could find another motor without hacking up the cowl.

What you might think about is the new RCV engines, the rotary valve 4-stroke. I did some measurements and it should ft in the cowl and swing a big prop at the same time. Check out http://www.rcvengines.com/model_home_page_full.htm

What you would have to do is make sure the new engine mounting bolts (on the firewall) don't interfere with those currently installed. If you can get us some pics, esp of the engine area that would help.

- Scott
Old 01-22-2003, 12:54 AM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Guys great thread going here, Swill your Bonanza is looking really good thus far are you planning to glass it or Monokote etc. P.S I,ve got a set of new in the box Robart 630BNZ retracts for this kit for sale $200 shipped if anybody is interested thanks Dave.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:03 AM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Default The HOUSTON BONANZA !

I would really like to post some pics. of this Houston Bonanza. However, it hangs high from the ceiling in a Hobby Shop. That makes it hard to do. Additionally, I heard today, that the HobbySHop was broken into last night and that Models were taken out. I have a Cub on Floats, hanging next to the Bonanza, and for all I know, they might all be GONE.......all this remains, as I write this note, still to be confirmed. IF the BB is still there, I think it is destined to just be a HangarQueen, I don't really think anybody will have the nerve to re-start the whole plane, from the firewall forward...!...........RICK...(.p.s. It's for sale for $ 1250.00)
Old 01-26-2003, 11:25 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Default Hangar Queen

Hey Rick,

Did you guys ever consider putting a 4C twin in it, like the OS FT-160 or a Saito FT-182? Would either of those fit under the cowl? I guess that would qualify as completely reengineering it from the firewall forward, though...
Old 02-10-2003, 03:14 PM
swill

Default selling the Bonanza

Hate to do it, but my Bonanza is up for sale... here's the post in the proper forum. Thought I'd mention it here, since this is where all the pics are. Time and building space have run out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...&postid=677309

Regards,
Scottt
Old 02-10-2003, 04:22 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Ack! Scott, I was really looking forward to hearing about the last phases of this project. So sorry to hear you can't complete it. Thanks for all the info you published to this point; hopefully when I get to my Bonanza, I'll be able to do as well.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:21 PM
edge 3644

Hi,

I built one from the same kit about a year ago. Mine has T-tail.
Has the supplied undercarriage. I covered it with solar film. Has
lighting installation. Engiene is OS 120 FS III. Althoug I split the wing into three parts mounted on 1" pieces of pipe ,its total weightwith 1lb of lead in the nose is 16 1/2 lbs. From concrete runway takes off wery well. Landings on flaps are very impressive and slow. It is very stable and predictable in flight. It is a nice
model and probably I will buid another one with different color
scheme.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Dgolf47-RCU

I also am getting ready to build a TF Bonanza. I got almost everything in the way of parts collected. I was lucky enough to find new Robart retracts and a light kit on ebay and saved some money. Also have a new Saito 180 GK for power. I really am enjoying reading along with you progress. looks great so far.

I was looking on the net at some bonanza sights and saw a black and white photo of a anniversary paint scheme I thought would really look great on my bonanza, but can't find color photos anywhere. would anyone know where I could find these photos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.