Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Sirens for Ziroli Stuka?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Sirens for Ziroli Stuka?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 01:20 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sirens for Ziroli Stuka?

Besides the rather expensive I4C siren, anyone know of something that works on the Stuka?
Old 11-20-2005, 01:10 AM
Timthetoolman1

Default RE: Sirens for Ziroli Stuka?

I know it's been talked about but I don't think there are any others. I was going to make my own but I figured up cost of design and materials and decided it would be better to pay the $130. They are not hard to make just hard to make last. If you had access to milling tools to make a canister with removable top (could be one piece including bottom) and a shaft with "wind choppers" mounted between two bearings with a blade on the outside to turn the choppers...it could be done, otherwise buy I4C's. [
Old 11-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Dead Eye Dick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched for a long time to find something that was good and came up with nothing worth the effort.

I have a Ziroli Stuka and fitted the i4C siren. Can't fault the quality and it sounds FANTASTIC. Spend the money (bucks) on an i4C siren and save yourself alot of time!

D.E.D.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Idigbo

Dead Eye Dick, where is the siren positioned on your Stuka? I was hoping to speak to someone who had put it in the chin of the cowl, below the motor and in direct airflow, so I could put the scale shaped siren blades to keep things looking accurate. I have only seen photos of the I4c siren, and it looked to big to go in the scale place. My Stuka is awaiting the siren sorting, then I can detail and paint it. Its glassed and very nearly ready to go. Is the siren as loud as it says on their website? Looking forward to a reply. Is yours the Stuka that was at the Haverfordwest do last year, if so greetings, I was flying my DH2 there, great show.

Heres a pic of my Stuka.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35975.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	357642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96527.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	357643  
Old 11-21-2005, 05:02 PM
jdeluyck

All,

I am using an electric siren from JC Whitney (Mini Motor-driven Siren Each ZX159102Y $23.99). It weighs about 5 oz after the metal mount and rear plastic case is removed. I mounted mine in the front (need the nose weight anyway ), in front of the instrument panel. This siren is really loud, and does not ruin the scale outline of the plane.

Jerry
Old 11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Timthetoolman1

That is exactly what I had in mind to make. Can you show us a picture?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:51 PM
wsmalley

I saw the mini siren on the Whitney web site, looked like a good possibility! If you say it's loud and the price is right, runs on 12v, right? Also, I have a Hueler 'party' whistle I picked up at a toy store-makes a neat siren sound- might be good in the prop blast or on bombs. Fifty cents for a bag of-worth a try! 'Houseofchuckles' on eBay.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Idigbo

Jerry, sounds like a great solution, any more details or pics you have would be great!

Ian.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Timthetoolman1

I'm thinking rip everything off except the can with the choppers and mount a small prop on the end of the shaft (maybe custom prop). The only problem is I think it needs to turn at 6000 rpm (give or take) and I don't know what the equation is to figure pitch vs diameter to rpm. I can always experiment. I would think I4C has it for theirs but I don't know if the same pitch will work here. I might order it and give it a try.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Dead Eye Dick

HI,

No I wasn't at Haverfordwest. I'm at the other end.

My siren is ear piercingly loud. I sacrificed the scale look by attaching it to the spat (it needs something to hold onto). I'm happy with it and can only say that for the noise it makes, I can't see you beating it, but yes it does spoil the scale effect.

D.E.D

ORIGINAL: Idigbo

Dead Eye Dick, where is the siren positioned on your Stuka? I was hoping to speak to someone who had put it in the chin of the cowl, below the motor and in direct airflow, so I could put the scale shaped siren blades to keep things looking accurate. I have only seen photos of the I4c siren, and it looked to big to go in the scale place. My Stuka is awaiting the siren sorting, then I can detail and paint it. Its glassed and very nearly ready to go. Is the siren as loud as it says on their website? Looking forward to a reply. Is yours the Stuka that was at the Haverfordwest do last year, if so greetings, I was flying my DH2 there, great show.

Heres a pic of my Stuka.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:05 PM
flyhi2005

Siren??? mmmm

http://www.i4cproducts.com/air_screamer.htm
Old 11-25-2005, 11:38 AM
jdeluyck

OK guys, here are a couple of pictures of my siren and the mount...

I removed the heavy metal mount bracket and the rear plastic cone. It is mounted in front of the cockpit.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97197.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	360047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12189.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	360048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37336.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	360049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77724.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	360050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vh56529.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	360051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47825.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	360052  
Old 11-25-2005, 12:39 PM
wsmalley

Neat looking setup! How do/will you power it-the siren, that is? Also, can you tell me something of the engine, and the mounting method, is it 'stock' stuff or special build. Are you using the fiberglass Ziroli cowl? Haven't gotten that far. My shop should look so neat!
Old 11-25-2005, 08:08 PM
jdeluyck

wsmalley,

Thanks, it works pretty well for me.

I am going to power the siren with a 8 cell NiCd pack. I have tested the siren with several different packs. The best one so far is a 3 cell LiPo (11.1 V). I am a little intimidated to try using a LiPo in an application where I can't get at the pack easily. I prefer to charge LiPos out of the model, and that would be a problem taking it out all the time. Besides, I need the nose weight...

The engine is a Desert Aircraft DA-50R. Yes, it is a stock engine and standoffs. I love this engine It turns a 24x8 Menz at 7000 RPM...

Yes, I am using the Ziroli fiberglass cowl, but I will need to modify it as this is the part of the scale outline that is the worst.

I hate not being able to find tools when I need them, so I make a point of trying to clean the shop at the end of the day...

Jerry
Old 11-25-2005, 08:25 PM
wsmalley

I haven't started mine yet just got the short kit from Laser Lizard and have ordered a canopy. I wondered about the fiberglass cowl. I'm just finishing up a Fiesler 'Storch' and made my own cowl which is fiberglass and lithoplate with hinges for access panels, vents, etc.. I try for a more scale look and the pic of the glass cowl didn't do much for me, given the price. I think your siren is the way to go!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Timthetoolman1

Are you rebuilding your shop too...LOL! The guys keep saying they haven't seen me but I've got to organize for this winter's projects.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:23 PM
iaclmac

I am not sure this is the best answer .... but it is certainly the cheapest .... "wing whistles" Look here: http://www.i4cproducts.com/air_whistles.htm