Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

custom vacu formed canopy

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

custom vacu formed canopy

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 06:35 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default custom vacu formed canopy

any one know if anyone will vacum form canopy or cowl from a supplied mold or original part to be duplicated?I have a stafford b-24 missing a canopy and a ball turret is cracked any ideas on how to get a replacement at a reasonable cost i tried doing my own once but was not happy with the results,corners were not sharp.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:11 PM
us1hydro
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lotsa luck. I was looking around recently for something on these lines. I did a google search for heat form plastic. I was looking for something I could get in reasonable quantity/price for making canopies etc. No luck, everything I found was commercial. The only suggestion I make would be to email some of the eqipment/supply outfits to see if they they could help. I'd be interested in hearing what results you come up with.......
Old 02-10-2003, 02:53 AM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

If anyone needs some PETG for canopies, let me know. I can get any size you need.

Mike
Old 02-10-2003, 10:02 AM
us1hydro
My Feedback: (23)

Hey Mike, I'd like to get some of that. E me with prices. Is this the stuff that can be formed with heat?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 AM
BD Culver

Default RE: custom vacu formed canopy

Will it work for making a windshield for a cub I have remake my windshield and side glasses because of crash crushed the fuse shattered plastic windows i have it all together and fixed other than the windows and shield
Old 09-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: custom vacu formed canopy

I only use PETG when I vacuum form parts.

Vacuum forming parts is not difficult.

You can set up a vacuum forming setup for usually under $40 (not counting the cost of your PETG and/or vacuum source - I use a 5 gallon Shop Vac for my vacuum source).

The HARD PART is the plug.

If you are fortunate to have an existing part, you can make a plug by filling the existing part with plaster of paris.

If you don't have an existing part, you start carving sanding and whittleing.

Your plug should be from a relatively hard wood. When I make a wood plug I use pine.