Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Bud Caddell and Scale RCM 6/79 magazine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Bud Caddell and Scale RCM 6/79 magazine

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:22 AM
aerohigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bud Caddell and Scale RCM 6/79 magazine

Hi guys,
I'm about to build a scale Baron 58 and wondered if any one out-there would have a copy of the article Bud Caddell wrote regarding his Baron 58 in the Scale Radio Control Modeler Magazine.
I think it was in 6/79 edition. If so, I would be very grateful to get a scanned copy of the article. Any info on Bud Cadell's model will be of help.
Many thanks
Graham
Old 09-06-2006, 10:48 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bud Caddell and Scale RCM 6/79 magazine

Me too! Please. I know I had a scan of the article, but I cannot find it anywhere.
Thanks
Old 09-08-2006, 06:07 PM
aerohigh

Still no luck finding any local copies of the article. I had some info that suggested it could be from around 1983 though.
Hoping that somebody reading this thread may have access to early copies of Scale RCM - very grateful for any info.

I'll keep searching!

Ta - Graham
Old 09-09-2006, 04:41 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Graham,

I too would like to have a copy of the write-up if you should eventuallyget it from somewhere, please. Probably it was more like RCM Magazine as I used to see it advertised in almost every issue during that period but unfortunately I do not have RCM magazines of that era.

Graham..do you have his plans too? I know they were available in USA

Reuben
Old 09-09-2006, 05:37 PM
TLH101

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll post the pages here so all who need them will be able to get them. They are from Scale R/c Modeler magazine. Don't know the date. Quality is so so, but at least the text can be read.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76631.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	521581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46869.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	521582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37623.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	521583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56140.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	521584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj63515.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	521585  
Old 09-09-2006, 06:32 PM
aerohigh

Thanks Terry, really appreciate your efforts!
I noticed you had a nice 3 view drawing in the Bonanza Baron Bash thread. Where did you source those from?
I've got hold of some others but they seem to differ on scale accuracy a far bit.

Graham
Old 09-09-2006, 06:54 PM
TLH101

That drawing came of the web somewhere. Sorry, but I don't remember where. Don't know how accurate it is, as I have not started any of my real research yet.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:33 AM
aerohigh

OK! - thanks again for the Caddell article.

Graham
Old 09-10-2006, 05:14 AM
F86_SABRE

Thanks for the write-up. I looked into my "store" and I found the plans! I remember buying them but I shelved them. I believe I had bought the plans from a guy with the surname of Strickland as he was the new owner of these plans. I do not know if this guy is on the net or not or whether some other persons have bought the mother drawings. I think I have his Bonanza plans too but I have to make another search

Reuben
Old 09-10-2006, 07:03 AM
F86_SABRE

To compliment the write-ups I am enclosing three shots of the plan.

Reuben

Name:	Ay73554.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	521830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79866.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	521831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90560.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	521832  
Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 AM
F86_SABRE

Somehow the files came out smaller than they actually are on my p/c [:@]
Old 09-10-2006, 03:39 PM
TLH101

This thread has me fired up to build this model soon. I have had my plans for a couple of years, but sidetracked and never started the model. I am nearly at the point of needing something else to build, so maybe this will be next. Or maybe my Gee Bee, Byron V-35, or maybe I should finish my P-39, or that Twin Commanche.
If either you guys gets started, post a build thread.
BTW, is the pink and blue foam the same as the "buff" colored urathane foam mentioned in the article?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:43 PM
F86_SABRE

Its a nice plane...if I had to do it I would build a larger version of it. Redesign the wings using Compufoil program.
Would love to have a scale drawing of it if anybody has one

Reuben
Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 PM
TLH101

According to the article, Beechcraft has 1/20 scale drawings of all their aircraft available, just for modelers.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:57 AM
TLH101

Found this page with some specs and 3-views from Raytheon: http://www.raytheonaircraft.com/beec...fications.aspx
Old 09-11-2006, 07:35 PM
aerohigh

Reuben - want to make the Baron larger?
You might just end up with it looking like this!

[img]

Thanks for posting the Caddell plan pics. I have tracked down a set of these also!

Graham

Name:	Ig13775.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	522650  
Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
aerohigh

Thanks for the 3 view and spec link Terry, I had seen those too but I think the tail plane (stabs) differ some what from the craft at my local airport. Maybe they are a 'new variation on an old theme'.
I was wondering about the foam used for forming as well - some investigation required!
The workshop has had a clean up in anticipation of pending Baron project and I will be certainly taking lots of notes and pics when we are up and running.

Cheers - Graham
Old 09-12-2006, 07:27 AM
F86_SABRE

Hi Graham,
well I dont have a place were to house it but if you have an extra one like that I will try and find a place for it
Well I also have plans for the Cessna 421C which I got from Hostetler and it was enlarged to 27% for 2 x 30cc ST engines. Have the engines but not the time []

One day perhaps.......one day

Reuben
Old 09-18-2006, 12:58 AM
jeffcaddell

aerohigh.......I am the son of the late Bud caddell! I could not beleive my eyes when I searched under his name and the word RC and this was the first place it took me. I can see with all the messages and time frame that you were very patient.

I remember being with dad when he took most of the photos in the magazine artice. The one with my sister was out front a local office building. When it made the magazine it was the "talk of the house".......not the great airplane in there.....but my sister's picture and her name mentioned below the picture!

Let me know if you build it....I would love to see pictures.......

The baron he built was sold to a gentleman that flew into town and bought it. When the man called dad, he threw out a dollar amount that he knew that nobody would give for it and the man said ok, I will take it!

I think it was $3000....and this was in maybe 1985 or around that time. The man had some big fyull size plane full of other models he flew around around and purchased.

Dad always had a tendency to build much more than flying......once he mastered an airplane and worked out off the kinks........he would fly it for a while....then move on to the next project.

We have a Fly-In or as some know a Fun-Fly event each year and we do this on the land where mom and him retired in the countryside........We have modelers from all over the south come and we put on a fullsize show that rivals anuthing out there at an RC event. One of our members is part of the North American Aeroshell Team of T-6's....he will fly his T-6 and will fly a stock Stearman PT-17. On the end of the next door 4500 ft grass strip lives an aeorbatic trainer ( Greg Koontz ) that has a flying school Bed & Breakfast.....pretty cool operation.....check out www.gkairshows.com also he does a comedyact with a cub and he flys a Super Decathlon.

For the T-6 friend his name is Mark Henley and their site is www.naat.net These guys are big time popular as the only US based WWII formation team. We are having our event this year on Oct.14th

It is 110 acres and he dreamed of his own airport for models and had it built shorley after he bought it in the early 1990's........and him and Al Stricland started the "Slasham Vally Irregulars RC Club and it still thrives today!

Take care,
Jeff Caddell
Old 09-18-2006, 05:14 AM
aerohigh

Hello Jeff,
thank you very much for taking the time to write in this forum.

I recently re-discovered a cast metal model of the Beechcraft Baron that I was given as a young boy and thought how nice it would be to build an RC model of this great plane.

After various searches and investigations it has become clear that your late father was a exceptionally talented model maker and his Baron 58 was a wonderful craft, built to a very accurate scale. Reading his article in Scale RCM, I wondered about your father's back ground and what clubs he was involved with. It is with great sadness to learn that your father has passed away.

If I can build the model anywhere near to the high standards of your fathers it will be a great craft.

I really appreciate your letter and getting to know of your Dad a little more. The links are great - I see the passion for 'flight' has been passed on through you!

Please send me a private email so I can send you pictures when the Baron is built (and flying I hope).

Kind regards
Graham
Old 09-18-2006, 01:14 PM
F86_SABRE

Hello Jeff,
Sorry to hear of your dad but he left a good legacy to the r/c community.
If it did not take you too much to locate this thread I can tell you that it took a lot of searching to get hold of the plans. I remember I was chatting with a guy there and at that time I was crazy over your father's Baron. Unfortunately I could not locate the source of these plans until I met this guy who luckily knew who had these plans. I believe the new owner resides in Ohio too. If I recall well his surname was Strickland but this was quite some years back now.
Would you know who has these plans for the Baron nowadays?

Thanks for joining. Nice to have you around.

Reuben
Old 11-08-2006, 05:11 PM
F86_SABRE

Guys I have news for you....I might have located the present owners of the rights to these plans......so.... watch this thread!

Reuben
Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
DEAF

Hello Reuben,

This is my first posting so any mistakes please excuse me. I'm writing to inquire if you have any word on the availibility of the plans for the Baron 58 by Bud Caddell. I had a set of them and also the Beechcraft Duke that he did but a flood in yhe basement did them in, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Bill
Old 12-22-2006, 02:55 AM
F86_SABRE

Hello Bill,

A few weeks ago I received the following mail from Jeff Caddell (his son). As the email states these plans should be available next month
Hello Reuben.

Yes my father and Al Strickland were good friends and he lived in Ashville. My father passed in 2001 and sadly Al passed in 2002 or 2003.

The originals to these plans have been located but at this time we cannot make any copies and can sell no plans. Put it on your calendar to contact me in January about this.

Thanks,
Jeff Caddell

UNQUOTE

So hold your breath for a bit longer as these should be available soon.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Reuben
Old 12-26-2006, 08:31 PM
oldtimer143

Hi all,

Is it true that Bud designed a Duke? I've got his Bonanza and Baron plans (yet to be built and now over 20 years old!!), but I'd really love to have the Duke. It is one of the prettiest light twins I've seen and I've always wanted to fly the full size aircraft but never had the opportunity.

Any information on the Duke plans would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.