Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Best scale photo!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Best scale photo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:20 AM
jamie_duff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best scale photo!

ORIGINAL: Mustang51

ORIGINAL: Daz167

Hey Mustang,

Calm down dude!!! You are blowing this way out of proportion......remote control planes are not meant to look scale in real life......are you daft......they are toys....boys toys.......if they were meant to look real they would be the real thing......let people post their photos as you requested, as some of the photos are fantastic, there is no way that everybody can photo edit out their antennas....piano wire landing gears etc etc. You can't judge a rc plane by a photo.....don't be so judgemental...

People are posting these photos because they are proud of what they have created....be greatful that they have posted them on your thread at all. I have a fantastic looking P47 which I will deny posting on this thread because all I will get is criticism for how unscale it looks from you.....people like you should take a good hard look at themselves.....and maybe look at another line of work....maybe fashion design if you're that critical

Daz
DAZ167...
Back off MATE...
Try reading the thread guidelines again. This thread is about "Scale PHOTOGRAPHY"...GET IT!?
Maybe people like YOU... should take a good hard look at THEMSELVES and try reading a thread to which they are posting so as to NOT mis-understand to what they are participating in.
People like you make me realize why Great Britain started a penal colony.
Besides... CLEARLY , you don't know the meaning of the word "scale".
And as far as seeking another line of work(ie "Fashion Designer"? I happen to be a professional hair designer, so I know a "little something", about what the eye perceives, and sees as reality.

-M51
I don't think there's any need to be so offensive. You alone seem to be making this thread very unwelcoming with your elitist self congratulatory condescending manner. I wonder if you'd be so quick to insult people face to face?

I appreciate that you are trying to maintain high standards in this thread - but you are just plain rude - and your manner is uncalled for and your insults would be fist magnets if you weren't hiding behind a keyboard.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:47 PM
WinterHawke

I believe I understand the goals of this thread. Two simple ingredients:

1) A top-notch scale model, certainly competition grade (even if it never has competed, it certainly could if desired).

2) A clean photo, with no obvious items to give away the scale of the model.

It shouldn't be easy to accomplish, because you have to get the right model and the right arena in the same place at the same time, and then take the photo at the right moment.

This is my offering - taken this last weekend at the Hoosier Dawn Patrol at the AMA Flying Site in Muncie, IN. Billy Thompson's Sopwith Pup on take-off:

An award-winning aeroplane at a fabulous venue.

Best regards,

Lee McDuffee
the WinterHawke
Old 08-24-2007, 01:01 PM
fliir

Lots of good stuff in that photo Lee:

1. Subject
2. Background
3. Angle
4. Lighting
Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
fliir

I have "only" been around this thread since 2005 (note that it was started in January of 2003). For those who want a shortened version of the rules, I like Mustang51's old 10 second test:

If it looks like a model at first glance (particularly if it's obvious in the thumbnail!), it doesn't belong in this thread.

Nobody flames a shot where we have to carefully study a shot in order to identify how/why it doesn't look perfect.

Go post on Sebo's alternate thread if you have a snapshot of great scale plane sitting on your workbench or surrounded by (full scale) people!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Graffen

Just a pic I had in my folder...
Congratulations on posting one of the worst Photoshop manipulations I think I've ever seen.

Note to people submitting electronically manipulated imagery.
Be sure that a Photoshop professional did the alteration.
Because you HAVE Photoshop does not mean you are EQUIPPED to use it.

Now...Everyone go take another look at the shot that Lee posted.
That is what this is about.

Everyone stop your whining! You've either got what it takes, or you don't. Lee does.

Jamie, M51 has had to constantly re-educate people on the goal of this thread. It amazes me how thick some people can be. I swear, how could anyone not understand this by now.
Yet, it must keep being explained. Then bozo's come in here and complain about the thread being too stringent?
I don't blame him for immediately coming off a condescending and defensive.

He's grown weary by people who somehow find this thread's guidelines to be complicated.

And, re: saying it to someone's face. I say, would you post these inadequate images in person? It's easy to post crummy images when you're hiding behind a keyboard!
I think that at the "Scale Photo" convention :-) we would not see any of these mediocre images, therefore, the need to sucker punch a critic would not likely occur.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Teus

ORIGINAL: WinterHawke

An award-winning aeroplane at a fabulous venue.
And you made the perfect shot of it Lee.

Beautiful picture![sm=thumbup.gif]

Teus.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Now that is a GREAT shot of an AWESOME model. Well done.
On an other note... Why did they put those big bottle rockets on their wings in the "war to end all wars"?

-M51
Old 08-24-2007, 04:55 PM
WinterHawke

Thanks for the kind notes, guys - I've been wanting to add a photo or so to this thread for a while, but the right shot took a while to come up with.

M51 - Nieuport 11's were one of the first rocket-equipped warplanes. Equipped with Le Prieur rockets, their mission was to destroy German observation balloons - the idea being that the rockets would ignite the highly flammable hydrogen gas used for lift. In reality, getting close enough with the fairly inaccurate rockets to hit anything was incredibly dangerous. Add to that the fact that the planes carrying the rockets were almost as flammable as their targets, and you can see that the idea didn't last terribly long in the war.

There weren't many planes equipped with the rockets during the war. Nieuports (various models) and Sopwith Pups being the usual platforms.

They found later on that incendiary bullets did the job much better, although they still had to get very close to their targets. "Balloon Busting" was not a sport for the faint of heart!!!

Best regards,

Lee McD
the WinterHawke
Old 08-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Graffen

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

Congratulations on posting one of the worst Photoshop manipulations I think I've ever seen.

Everyone stop your whining! You've either got what it takes, or you don't. Lee does.

Jamie, M51 has had to constantly re-educate people on the goal of this thread. It amazes me how thick some people can be. I swear, how could anyone not understand this by now.
Yet, it must keep being explained. Then bozo's come in here and complain about the thread being too stringent?

He's grown weary by people who somehow find this thread's guidelines to be complicated.

And, re: saying it to someone's face. I say, would you post these inadequate images in person? It's easy to post crummy images when you're hiding behind a keyboard!
I think that at the "Scale Photo" convention :-) we would not see any of these mediocre images, therefore, the need to sucker punch a critic would not likely occur.
Hi SDCrashmaster? I was so fed up with the debate that was going on that I couldn´t resist to make this five minute picture. My point is that you could, if you have the time, sit at your computer all day making edited shots of model airplanes (yes, models) or actually get out in the elements and fly your own creations. Isn´t that really what this hobby is all about?
I actually think that if you have time to critisize like you did right here you are just as judgemental as some others at this thread.
I can also tell you that I have the ways and means to make GOOD photos, but as I said above, I don´t take my work home to invade on my hobby wich is building and flying SCALE model airplanes. ´nough said!
Old 08-25-2007, 12:52 PM
jamie_duff

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

I think it's first class arrogance on your part to go branding people "thick". I'm sure most people "get" what this thread is supposed to be about, and clearly some interpret the rules more anally than others. Of course, some just don't read the rules at all.

Those who post a pic which is basically alright but is let down by a rogue control horn or whatever certainly aren't automatically "thick" and going by your powers of description I think your uncalled for brandings says more about your own intelligence or lack thereof than the posters of images you decide to be substandard.

Just about all the flying shots in this thread are non-scale because most of them are let down by piddly little props for a start.

I think you need a sense of perspective. It's only a bloody thread and they're only bloody models. At the end of the day - who gives a damn?

Posting substandard images in person? What? That doesn't even make sense man - but calling people "thick" I promise is a fist magnet comment so from hereon in I've got you boxed as a keyboard warrior too.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:17 PM
SDCrashmaster

Thank you.

BTW, I'm not as put off by control horns as some. In fact, I'm mostly only put off by thick non-tryers. Those who post pics that didn't really try that hard, and in reality, want to test the purists in this thread.

More than anything though, I enjoy the passion this thread brings out in people.The people who really get it have consistently posted some outstanding images THAT MEET THE THREADS' GOALS.

Keep it realz.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Tracon

What ever...

ZAP...

Old 08-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm sure that one will get bashed too......After all that plastic spinner....etc.......Yet my question has gone unanswered. Which Mustang is being held during run ups? I searched the post for one the other day and didn't see one.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Mustang51

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

It's the dangdest thing.......I've been through every post in this thread and haven't seen one of someone holding a Mustang during runups.
Cowboy... First of all, as you see above, you didn't ask a question, you made a statement. Had you asked a question..ie "?", I, or someone else would have answered it.
Secondly... The referral to "Mustang run-us"in the "guide lines" is mearly an "example" of pictures NOT to be posted, it's not meant to be taken literally. Comprende amigo?

... You really searched over 2000 posts looking for a single picture?
Are you trying to be argumentative? Please responde.

-M51
Old 08-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Mustang51

ORIGINAL: CowboyLifesaver

I'm sure that one will get bashed too......After all that plastic spinner....etc.......Yet my question has gone unanswered. Which Mustang is being held during run ups? I searched the post for one the other day and didn't see one.
Clearly, you read the "guidelines"(with mentioning the "plastic spinner" and the "ect", not to mention the "Mustang run-ups" ). I wonder why you would choose the word "bashed"? You obviously know that this pic is not within the guidelines of this thread(incedently, it's a verry nice model, but the spinner IS wrong, and the push rods and covers are showing, not to mention the photography rule of 3rds is not being observed in this shot). Do you know what I think? I think you ARE looking to be arguementative, and you ARE loking to start somethng here.[>:]
MOVE ALONG...

-M51
Old 08-25-2007, 11:16 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

More great pictures please !

Less whining ...

LOL

Good Day !

Old 08-26-2007, 02:46 AM
Tracon

Sorry I posted my picture...
Old 08-26-2007, 08:23 AM
sebo

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing over a year ago. I then removed it. Many of us don't read the rules but see really cool pictures of models and we just post to show ours off. It's an easy thing to do. Nice looking plane. Ron
Old 08-26-2007, 10:19 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sebo

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing over a year ago. I then removed it. Many of us don't read the rules but see really cool pictures of models and we just post to show ours off. It's an easy thing to do. Nice looking plane. Ron
Ron
Did you Not start your own thread for pictures of ones favorite model ? So why even come over to a thread that had specific "Rules" . guess just to whine

Mustang 51 ....Great thread, too bad we have so many people who can't READ .

Semper Fi
Joe
Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Spuetz

Very entertaining thread, this is.

Although the bickering and "i-am-right"-games that are played here can be annoying, if find myself reading all of them! I guess, that's the same fascination that keeps afternoon talk shows alife. Kind of low-key - but entertaining nevertheless.

My two cents, if anyone is interested:

I think the one misunderstanding is this: Most forums that I know have very view guidelines. So it can happen, that in a forum about biplanes people exchange some information about their last holiday or whatever. That's the nature of these public forums. One would not expect "guidelines". General directions, yes. I guess good common sense keeps most people from posting pictures of their grand-mother in a model-airplane thread entitled "oldies but goodies..." So generally one gets the information one is looking for and will always have to over-read a lot of not-so-interesting comments. But heck, that's how forums work...
So I don't think that the problem lies in people's inability to read (kind of not so intelligent comment in answer to a written contribution, don't you think ? They just won't read them because they do not expect them. And rightfully so. After all this is still a public forum. The starter of this thread does not "own" the tread. If you start your own website (not thread!) and invite contributions you have every right to remove comments and set guidelines. But in rc-universe anyone should be allowed to contribute without being abused! Factual feedback, ok. A little mockery... fine. But....I must correct myself: All forums that I know have guidelines. However, those are around CONDUCT! Not to use bad language, not to abuse others and so on. So what is to be thought of people who promote technical guidelines but take the liberty to violate the fundemental ones that are based on good education and respect for one another?

Sooo, this is the point! Can we all please show some intelligence by demonstrating that we have understood that abusing people is the lowest form of communication?
Hence I would suggest that the starters and promoters of this thread check their priorities! Scale models? Fine! Pictures of scale models? also fine. Great scale pictures of great scale models? Even better. But isn't the dignity of humans more important?

Alas I suggest the following again: Those who - for some newcomers rather unexpectetly - promote the very strict guidelines in this forum should may-be start a project from it: i.e. a book or calendar. Then they can pick and choose whatever they think are worthy pictures without having to curse at people who send in not-so-ok pictures. And the result will certainly be outstanding and- if marketed well - a great success as well! Or do you know of an existing picture book on the topic of this thread? Might be a buck to be made... I'll buy it! Mark me down for 10 copies! But produce them top-class please!

If not that, another pro-active idea wood be to just flood the thread with outstanding pictures, that meet the "guidelines". After all a picture says more than a thousand written rules... (Don't take mine as example - they are the best that I have shot lately)

So, keep up this entertaining thread - be it with pictures or intelligent comments. In all cases it is better than TV...

Cheers, Martin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34058.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	750001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10481.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	750002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61347.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	750003  
Old 08-26-2007, 12:57 PM
sebo

I don't even remember who started this thread. Now you are trying to make me sound "unfit" to even read this thread. I praised this thread a couple of pages back and wished the creater of it the best and hope that the thread continues for a long time. We all make mistakes. Calm down. Don't get hot under the collar. It is only a thread. No ones life will be shattered if a picture is posted in error.
Yes, I started a thread a year ago; and because of this thread, my thread is getting some activity. I thank all of you for that. There are lots of photos of nice looking planes there. I won't even complain if one of the great photos that appears in this thread also appears in my thread. Heck, we can all learn from each other. And, again, I think this thread is great. But, even being "unfit", I'm still going to look at this thread. We all have faults. Recognizing them and correcting them is the problem. Now go take some pictures and post them.
I'll be enjoying the thread.
I enjoyed the chit chat. Take care and God Bless You, Ron
Old 08-26-2007, 01:32 PM
bla bla

A lot of moral BS'ing going on here.
Cut the crap and get down to business.
Scale pictures.
Rocket science it is not.

Like the Concord.
Shot a gainst an industrial background (even though those towers would never be near an airport they're a load better than a backgroung of green trees).
It's a scale picture. Landing angle is similar to all those 1000s of TV shots you've seen over the years. The fly past angle just like you've whitnessed from the airport spectators platform. This is the deal. This is the job. Take a scale picture of a model.
Maybe it's agreat model, maybe not, who am I to tell.
It's the picture thats important.
Nice contribution (again) from the German.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:07 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple early morning shots taken at the Hoosier Dawn Patrol.
The Eindecker was flown by Art Shelton and the Pup was flown by Billy Thompson.
Both models are 1/3 scale. I imagine it must have looked somewhat like this during WW1.
By the way Winterhawk, very nice shot of Billy's pup on take off. It must have been a day light sortie!

Name:	Fd92618.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	750136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97234.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	750137  
Old 08-26-2007, 03:33 PM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are some pictures of my Yellow Aircraft F-15

Name:	Sq46310.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	750147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27551.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	750148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12169.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	750149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz72882.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	750150  
Old 08-26-2007, 10:52 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

few from the weekend jet meet..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.