Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
GP Corsair 40 Kit >

GP Corsair 40 Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

GP Corsair 40 Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Corsair 40 Kit

My son and I will be building the GP Corsair kit. It will be our first warbird. My son likes to build models, and is a real detail nut, so the flat sides of the GP Corsair bothers him. We want to round out the fuselage behind the cowl. Any suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this? I was intending to use solid solid balsa rather than try to make formers. I thought it would be easier and would look better when covered.

Speaking of covering. He would like to paint it rather than use flat Corsair Blue Monokote. Any advice regarding coverings and painting would be appreciated as well.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:25 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Default GP Corsair

Just a few thoughts--this is a sport scale model and to me, trying to round off the fuse just isn't worth the extra weight or effort. It actually looks pretty good when it's all together. If you really need to have scale, get the TF .60 size Corsair. The GP kit is a good flying airplane and I 'd gladly trade scale realism for an airplane that won't scare the pants off me.

As for covering, do the airplane with dove gray monocote or white solartex and then paint it. Rustoleum paint works really well for this and comes in a lot of near scale colors. Feel free to email me with any questions, I'm building one of these as well and mine's about ready to cover.

What part of Houston are you in?
Old 02-11-2002, 03:13 AM

Default GP Corsair Kit

Thanks for the comments, Jetmex. The TF 60 Corsair is the one he really wants, but I told him we didn't have the building or flying experience for it yet, so this one is kind of a "stepping stone."

What engine are you putting in yours? I'm currently planning to use a Tower Hobbies 46. He would like a 4 stroke, and I have a surplus OS 52 Surpass, but I think it would be a bit too small.

BTW, we are up in the Tomball area.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:43 AM
SDM
My Feedback: (9)

I have a Gp Corsair that I have been flying for
about 8 mos. It has an OS 70 and is a great flying
plane.
I tend to agree with Jetmex regarding rounding
out the fuse as far as it adding weight. It could
be done however but would take some blending of
the wood sides at both ends to obtain the look you want along with a new firewall.
Mine flys so well the way it is that I would be
afraid of messing something up.

Just my 2c
Sam
Old 02-11-2002, 03:28 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Default GP Corsair

Hi Tex,

I'm in Humble, not TOO far from you, as things go here!

Mine was going to get a K&B .61, then I sold an airplane and freed up a brand new Magnum .46 Pro that should work just fine. Besides, I need the .61 for my Spitfire

Mine is framed and just about ready to cover. I got really tired of the blue Corsairs, so mine is going to be done in a green-tan camo used by the El Salvadoran air force in the Soccer War in 1969. Here's a great site for Corsair info:

http://www.bentwingbird.com

There's a whole section devoted to color profiles that has some really neat schemes. Drop me a line and let's compare notes...
Old 02-19-2002, 03:32 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

I am a few days away from covering mine as well. I did run into a problem if one of you guys could help. I soldered the tail gear/rudder assembly as they suggested and tweaked on it pretty hard to make sure it wouldn't slide. Well, I get it installed and the top and bottom sheeting on and covered, tweaked the assembly again and, voila.... it slips.... bad news I am sure but how bad I don't know. it does take a bit of force to get it to move, but this still can't be good. I need suggestions quick on what to do and where to re-enter the cavity to repair this problem.. Haha I was a few hours from starting to seal this baby and get her into the air.. BTW I am powering this plane with a Saito .72.. plenty of power? I am new to this forum and I think it is a great find for me...
P.S. on the bentwingbird url posted above, i keep getting a forbidden message.... can't get in.. can you check this address and get back to me?
Old 02-19-2002, 01:58 PM
SDM

Reaper:
If I understand you correctly the tail wheel
wire /rudder wire slips vertically? If that is
the case it should secure when you glue the rudder
in for the final assembly. You just have to make
sure it is positioned properly when you glue the
rudder on or the actuating arm will intefere with
the fuse. Do you think you broke something loose
when you tested it? If so I would open it up and
look before going any further..
The Saito 72 should be plenty of power and will
also help balance. I have an OS 70 in mine and it
is perfect. Good flying plane.

Good luck
Sam
Old 02-19-2002, 11:16 PM

Sam, I am pretty sure the wire has come loose in the horizontal axis.. I think the solder broke loose on the whipping. Man I hate to open that puppy up, guess I should feel lucky it happened on the table instead of 300 feet up or while landing!! haha thanks for your help..
Old 02-20-2002, 02:57 AM
SDM

Reaper :
Bummer..... definitely better to find out now than later at one of those special moments...

Regards
Sam
Old 02-20-2002, 03:06 AM

Took about 5 minutes to cut resolder and sand... just hope it holds... this seems to be a weak point in the kit to me....
Old 02-23-2002, 07:55 PM
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tend to agree with the thoughts on rounding off the sides. The plane is a bit on the heavy side as it is, so the more weight issue really is a stopper on rounding the sides. Mine has an OS 46 on it and it is a dream to fly. It looks great in the air and is a great flyer. Landings are a piece of cake. As for the soldering, you have not mentioned what kind of solder you are using. It must be a silver solder as regular solder will not hold up. Use planty of flux and make sure that your hear is good and they should never come loose. I have planes that have been flying with soldered parts for years.