Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Scale pinking tape >

Scale pinking tape

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale pinking tape

Old 02-05-2003, 08:21 AM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale pinking tape

I need 1\9 scale pinking tape. Does anyone know how to make it? It seems as though everything available is too big. The tape should be around 3\16ths of an inch or so wide(no bigger then 1\4").

Thanks,

Mustang51
Old 02-05-2003, 10:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default pinking tape

Someone once mentioned using that cloth medical tape you can get at the pharmacy it has scale pinks and is cloth so would work good. I was thinking of using that on me hurricane but dont know how i would be able to use it on my leading edges. also how it would hold up to a coat of poly U

Joe
Old 02-05-2003, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Scale pinking tape

Originally posted by Mustang51
I need 1\9 scale pinking tape. Does anyone know how to make it? It seems as though everything available is too big. The tape should be around 3\16ths of an inch or so wide(no bigger then 1\4").

Thanks,

Mustang51
Again...
I am looking for pinking tape, or a means to make pinking tape that would be 3\16ths", no bigger then 1\4".
Medical tape, along with Hairdressers tape is 1\2" wide, or larger, with pinks that are much too big for 1\9th scale application.

Thanks,

-Mustang51
Old 02-05-2003, 02:47 PM

To make pinks that small I have used the serrated cutter off a box of saran wrap, aluminum foil or wax paper. Glue the metal cutting edge to a stick of spruce to insure it's stiff. Using tracing paper (or tissue, or heavier paper) hold down the serrated edge on the paper the width you want and pull off the remainder, leaving a strip. Dope on and that should look about right.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:08 PM

Oooooh yea... that's a good idea.

Thanks,

Mustang51
Old 02-06-2003, 02:51 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default pinking shears

One of the office supply stores in town (forget which one) has a bunch of small sissors with different shapes on them, one of them is a set of pinking shears that have "pinks" about 1/4 the size of regular pinking shears. See if you can find a pair of those.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:46 AM

Thanks Jerry... I'll look into that as well.

-Mustang51
Old 05-19-2003, 05:00 AM

Mustang51

You also might look around the hardware store at the hack saw and other saw blades. Some of those Sandik saws have 300 teeth per inch and are very sharp. You could use your covering material with a sharp blade like that.
Use the same method that Rsabast mentioned about stiffening the blade and holding the blade down on the table and pulling up on the material.

Have you thought about rib stitching?
E-mail me for some info on it.

[email protected]

ZZ
Old 05-20-2003, 12:02 AM

Womens hair tape [avail @ beauty supply stores]. It is 1/2 wide with a tacky backing. layout on a flat surface,cut it in half using a straight edge and overlap one to the other. [bingo! 1/4" wide] As you seal it with a good sandable primer the material can be lightly sanded. works for me. Mel.