Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Decal,s

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decal,s

Anyone know how to make decal's melt around corners? I have a Pica Waco newly finished and i know there is some kind of solvent ,i tried acetone on a sample piece and did not seem to soften rhe decal material.I have read that there is something you can use to soften decals to make them go around a corner that they normally would not go around. Any help is appreciated. Thahk's Tim.Sorry i'm talking about the cowl blisters.
Old 02-15-2002, 03:15 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default Decal,s

The guys who would know are the plastic model builders. The IPMS should be able to help you. I think there is a product called Solvaset. It is used to soften the decal so that it adheres to compound surfaces. I think the Squadron Shop might carry it. They are located in Texas. Sorry, that's as close as I can get you. They might have a web page.
Good luck & happy landings Tony
Old 02-15-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Decal,s

Thank,s for the info Tony. Tim
Old 02-15-2002, 01:19 PM

Default soften decals

Planelazy: Have to asume that the decals you are asking about are "water slide". If you are talking about the sticky-back type I know of no solvent that will make them more able to flow around complex surfaces. With that said, here is a site that has the solvents for water slides: www.micromark.com. Regards.
Old 02-15-2002, 03:42 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default decal solvent

Any hobby shop that sells plastic model supplies should carry decal solvent for water slide decals. As noted before, if they are sticky back decals then you are probably out of luck. Regards, Chad.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:09 PM

Default Decal,s

Thank's Al and Chad .I am just finding out that i am out of luck becacse they are mylar and fuel proof which means they won't melt.I called Pica and they said make small slits where they start to crinkle and i tried but that does not look very good.Am trying to decide if i want to go through painting them on.Thank's for your replies. Tim.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:49 AM
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default formable decals....

I am guessing you are working with the small tear shape that forms around the cowl blister. Mylar won't do it at all.

I can cut these in color sign vinyl and they will form around complex shapes with a little heat (hair dryer maximum).

Send me an email for info.

Thanks,