Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

WW1 Maltese Cross proportions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

WW1 Maltese Cross proportions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:28 PM
camdyson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WW1 Maltese Cross proportions

I know this seems basic, but I've been unable to locate the correct "formula" for the shape of the crosses to paint on my Eindecker. Clearly it just requires 4 arcs done with a compass, but I'm guessing the radii and spacing were done to some rule so they all looked the same?

I plan to hand-paint them over the white bands - just want to get my proportions correct. (of course I'm sure I can work it out roughly from documetation, but it seems there MUST be a simple way?)

Cheers,

Cam
Old 03-22-2007, 12:29 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WW1 Maltese Cross proportions

I spent a LOT of time trying to get these right on my EIII. Even after an extensive search of the net I never found a "formula" for the early Patee cross used on the EIII so I ended up making up my own in Photoshop and then printed this out as a thick paper template. I don't have them on my laptop but when I get back to Japan I can dig them out and post them.

It took a lot of experimentation before I realized that a simple arc of a circle won't do the trick. What is really needed to look right is an arc of a large elipse.

I'm talking here about the wide bottomed crosses not the patee cross used later on in the war (and on EIIIs used by naval units). And both of these are different from the stock decals that come with the BUSA and other EIII kits.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:21 AM
camdyson

Thanks Don - I'd appreciate it if you could do that for me. At the rate I work, it will be a few weeks before I get to that stage anyway. Still have to finish the metal work on the fuz and do all the rigging.

Cheers,

Cam

p.s. I was wondering what had happened to the Snipe - looking forward to it's resumption!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Sethhunter

I couldn't find a formula either - So I scanned a photo of a Pfalz DIIIa into a graphics program (Xara), drew over it, make a jpeg file and Gary at Getstencils.com make a great set of stencils. The photo I used was from a lower wing of a plane standing on it's nose! Obviously there were variations between planes, especially considering the field painting that took place. Here's the jpeg I used. Incidentally a program like Xara can be very useful for electronically reproducing all kinds of images; lettering, instrument gauges, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22163.jpg
Views:	2749
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	647163  
Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 AM
WinterHawke

Gentlemen,

There’s been several good (and not the least bit testy, for a change!) threads over on the Aerodrome on this very subject.

Two particular threads for your review:

Fokker E.III Diagrams, by Dan-San Abbott

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26357

This has some good drawings, including dimensions of the crosses on the Eindekker E.III

Eisernes Kreuz, how were they done? Thread started by CT Davies

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28513

General discussion of the Eisernes Kreuz (Iron Cross), including drawings and discussions of the later standard cross, and later straight cross. Eric Goedkoop also linked to the WWI Modeler page on the same subject:

http://www.wwi-models.org/misc/mhae_cross/index.html

Enough info to go on to support most all but some of the earliest birds (which all would seem to have been done a bit differently from each other).

Best regards,

Lee McDuffee
the WinterHawke
Old 03-22-2007, 08:24 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well there are five different styles acording to Bowyer.

One of which he got information on was that the overall height/width was 1000mm flat face to flat face.
Then center for two arcs off to the four points. Measure off 1280 mm from centerline and establish an offset line. Then two arcs off this of 1130 and 1190 mm radaii.

Wm.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:18 PM
camdyson

Thanks guys,

Great information - geez, I'd better do them right now!

Cheers,

Cam