Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 PM
grh_70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build

ORIGINAL: THESCALEMAN

this will be the hub on the len gardiner 5.2" wheel
Just so I understand, this axle hub and wheel spokes/rim will be overlaid
on the 5 1/8" dia. Gardiner tire/wheel that looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96763.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1006278  
Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take a pair. Are you planning on crating a hub cover for the back of the wheel? And how about the cover(brake assy) attached to the gear?

Scott
Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 AM
SMUGator

Got the fuse formers today, Chad. Have my extended family in town through next Tuesday. I'll order some of the bits and start working on a couple of sliding canopy prototypes. I have to say that Danny's idea of a winch and pulley system is the most interesting to me at the moment.

Tom
Old 08-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Remklep

Dave,

As I live in the Netherlands, I'll try to contact Len myself to get some wheels, if that doesn't work, can I order through you?
I'll take 3 pairs of wheel hubs please, always good to have some spares for future projects.

Cheers,
Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Remklep

ORIGINAL: saramos

I'll take a pair. Are you planning on crating a hub cover for the back of the wheel? And how about the cover(brake assy) attached to the gear?

Scott
Dave,
I'm also interested if you would like to create a hub cover for the back side and maybe also the brake assy cover?

Cheers,
Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 AM
THESCALEMAN

looks like we are going ahead and buying a new toy at work......a roland CNC MDX40 machine...so i will be able to make the patterns myself which is good news....no SLA route......the smallest cutter is 0.5mm...so the detail on the wheel hubs...front and back will be fine.......so i'll get on now and finish the inner hub and brake side......looking at the break side the hub is split.....i guess can we be clever and make the center fixed like the full size and have the outer part moving with the wheel?.......

Old 08-08-2008, 10:09 AM
THESCALEMAN

break side

Name:	Vt58442.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1006708  
Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 PM
saramos

Yea, center part should be attached to the strut.

Scott
Old 08-08-2008, 07:38 PM
rwright142

We need a supplier for the retracts. Anyone?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Work continues on a canopy plug. I'm just about ready to glass what you see here and then the Bondo process will start. As you may be able to see in the pic there are a couple of spots where I got too aggressive with the sandpaper and these will need to be built back up to the proper shape. I figure I'm about 50% finished with the plug at this point and there is still plenty of work to do before I start doing any vac-forming. Onward and upward...

Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Chad Veich

I've been corresponding back channel with Dave (THESCALEMAN) about wheels and I would like to put a list together of everyone who would like to purchase. It will be cheaper shipping wise if we order in bulk and have them all shipped to a single place and then distributed among the buyers. I would be happy to be said person but if someone else would like to do it that is fine as well. Once we know how many sets of wheels are needed we can work out the payment and shipping details. So, if you would like a pair of the Len Gardiner 5" wheels at a cost of 17 Pounds (about $32.65 at current exchange rates) + shipping please drop me a PM and I will compile the list.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:30 PM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
Work continues on a canopy plug...
Nice job so far! Are you going to have the -1A frame overlayed on this? It would be really nice to have the frame and canopy glass as separate pieces because that helps with painting the frame - and it looks better too! (the -1A has the braces over the windscreen whereas the -1D and later do not)

I added that while Scott was posting below...
Old 08-09-2008, 07:09 PM
saramos

I too agree with the idea of separate frame and glass. This would allow for a couple of variations based on the specific version being modeled. I also think that you can get a better scale look with a separate frame than with the frame molded directly into the canopy.

Scott
Old 08-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Chad Veich

Scott and Richard, I concur. Molded in canopy frames are really for sport scale airplanes. There are many ways to add the frames that look much more realistic and I do not plan to have them molded in. I can certainly offer a second canopy formed from very thin styrene which could be cut out for the frames. Or, if someone wants to make a mold and offer a fiberglass frame, I would be willing to cast them a copy of the plug. I myself prefer to build the frames up with aluminum tape or putty and primer but would be happy to accomodate for those who have other preferences.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chad , have i got this right , you put glass over the plug then bondo, how does that work?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:49 AM
rwright142

I've been corresponding back channel with Dave (THESCALEMAN) about wheels and I would like to put a list together of everyone who would like to purchase. It will be cheaper shipping wise if we order in bulk and have them all shipped to a single place and then distributed among the buyers. I would be happy to be said person but if someone else would like to do it that is fine as well. Once we know how many sets of wheels are needed we can work out the payment and shipping details. So, if you would like a pair of the Len Gardiner 5" wheels at a cost of 17 Pounds (about $32.65 at current exchange rates) + shipping please drop me a PM and I will compile the list.
Dave/Chad,

Do these come with the scale hub overlays (inside and out) Dave mentioned?

Old 08-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: WhiteRook
chad , have i got this right , you put glass over the plug then bondo, how does that work?
I will glass the plug with Polyester resin so that their will not be any issues with applying Bondo over the top of the glass.

ORIGINAL: rwright142
Dave/Chad,
Do these come with the scale hub overlays (inside and out) Dave mentioned?

Richard, the quoted $32.64 price is for the Len Gardiner wheels only. The list I am currently compiling will be for wheels only as I imagine it may be a while before the scale hubs Dave is working on will be ready.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Remklep

Gents,

I have been playing around with the rudder-control-horn a bit and it seems to me that I need to add a piece of brass tubing so the whole assembly can be attached to the fuse for support.
I'm afraid that without the support it won't work right, what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Name:	Ig11247.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1008256  
Old 08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
saramos

Idealy it should be in line with the center of rotation of the rudder. This would place it in the middle of the LE post of the rudder. I've not started construction of the vertical stab and rudder, but I was thinking of perhaps constructing it more like the prototype with a round post for it's leading edge, then have the rudder horn incorporated in the center of it as well as hinges made of G10. Also, the other question is how to incorporate steering of the tail wheel.

Scott

Name:	Rp42247.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1008343  
Old 08-10-2008, 07:43 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some great reference photos over on the War Bird Information Exchange http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...ic.php?t=18833 Check out the XF4U-4!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
SMUGator

Just a small update. I purchased most of the supplies for the sliding canopy prototypes this weekend. My goal is to post iterations here for comments and feedback. For the first prototype, I've ordered this sail winch servo - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGZU3&P=7

Chad, the book you wanted should arrive this week. I got my copy over the weekend and it looks great! I'd also like to use one of your early pulls from the canopy plug for the prototype.

Tom
Old 08-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Remklep
Gents,
I have been playing around with the rudder-control-horn a bit and it seems to me that I need to add a piece of brass tubing so the whole assembly can be attached to the fuse for support.
I'm afraid that without the support it won't work right, what do you guys think?
From johnr's build thread on the BT Corsair over at RCSB. I like this idea and think it would work fine on our Corsair. It would be easiest if we left a slot in the leading edge of the rudder so that the tiller arm could be installed into the fuselage with the vertical fin and the rudder could be added last.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: SMUGator
Chad, the book you wanted should arrive this week. I got my copy over the weekend and it looks great! I'd also like to use one of your early pulls from the canopy plug for the prototype.
Thanks a million for the book Tom, much appreciated. I should be able to pull you a canopy to play around with in the next week or so. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. I was wondering if it wouldn't be beneficial to make the canopy similar to the full size in having a sliding framework to which the canopy attaches. I think it would be easier to get a good, solid sliding mechanism attached to a built up frame rather than trying to attach it to the plastic canopy. Plus, it would look more accurate when it was all said and done. What do guys you think?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Remklep

ORIGINAL: Remklep
Gents,
From johnr's build thread on the BT Corsair over at RCSB. I like this idea and think it would work fine on our Corsair. It would be easiest if we left a slot in the leading edge of the rudder so that the tiller arm could be installed into the fuselage with the vertical fin and the rudder could be added last.

That is exactly what I was talking about Chad.
So I will add abrass tube to the rudder-control-arm, like in the picture it could be glued to the vertical fin and give ample support to the control-horn.

Cheers,
Old 08-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Remklep

ORIGINAL: SMUGator
Thanks a million for the book Tom, much appreciated. I should be able to pull you a canopy to play around with in the next week or so. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. I was wondering if it wouldn't be beneficial to make the canopy similar to the full size in having a sliding framework to which the canopy attaches. I think it would be easier to get a good, solid sliding mechanism attached to a built up frame rather than trying to attach it to the plastic canopy. Plus, it would look more accurate when it was all said and done. What do guys you think?

I like this idea very much Chad, though I must admit I am a bit worried if it can be done without looking overly big.
It won't be easy to create the sliding framework at 1/6 scale while still being strong and small enough.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.