Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 04:25 AM
Keithtr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Hi Gang,
after a 5 year break, I am getting back into rc. I want to get into scale rather then sport, but I am looking for a good reference book that will describe the ins and outs... any suggestions?
thanks!
Keith
Old 03-13-2002, 05:45 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default scale help

Well keith I dont really know if the is a "book" on the ins and outs but dave platt puts out several books and videos for scale how to-s.

also this website http://strictlyscale.com has several good articles online.

as far as differences between sport if your interested here is the main list for it

1. scale takes about 5 times longer to build your plane because of detailing.

2. for each project plan on 80 hrs to 100 hrs of just doing research before you even get to start building

3. planes are usually more expensive because of all the added features and also because most scale projects people tend to do the larger scale aircraft because it is easier to work on.

4. Scale planes are usually a little harder to fly because with all the added features the wingloading is increased.

5. Any plane that has actually flown is a candidate for scale even prototypes as long as they have made at least 1 documented flight

6. an average scale plane of the larger scale will usually run min $2000 though not always the case
Old 03-13-2002, 03:44 PM
Keithtr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

HI! Thanks for the input! my plan is to first start with a scale KIT rather then scratch building from plans. My thought is that this will give me some more skills before I try a full scratch. My first step is to build my shop. I have an unfinished barn 12x16 that I am about to finish off with AC and Heat and set it up just for model building.
Any suggestions on layout and materials?
I already have many of the guilding tools as I have built 4 stand off scale planes with some success, and REBUILT (guess why I had to rebuild )
and modified several sport planes.
But I want to get serious and have my sons get involved as they have really expressed an interest and one is 13 and the other 7.

Any suggestions from others would be a big help!
Old 03-13-2002, 06:41 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default scale kits

sounds like a plan and i would love that workshop. but as far as building from a scale kit first then scratch building, there is no such thing as a scale kit that I know of in the plane kits. the only thing a scale kit is is a fairly scaled outline type plane and still does not have all the little goodies in it and you still have to construct them. Also like i show below you can go scratch built plans but they sell the wood kits for them so you dont have to cut them out. so even though you buy just the plans for the plane you want in these days most plans have kits custom cut for them. It gives you a bigger choice on designs this way rather than trying to adjust a kit manufacturer not quite scale scale kit

If you are serious and want a very good scale kit with plenty of support, construction photos, ease of construction, and can get help anywhere you ask a question then I would suggest getting started with something by Nick Ziroli http://www.ziroliplans.com/home_frameset.html
There is his website addy. The reason is because I have built 6 of his designs and am working on my 7th his 118" B-25. his website has construction fotos and a forum for help. he has more online sources for building help than any other builder. I am a professional builder and have seen many different designers plans and would say his are the easiest to build because of all the support available and the documentation on the plans.
Also there are kit cutters out there that cut kits for him that are excellent. Precision kit cutters is the best of them all http://www.precisioncutkits.com/ Nick also sells a lot of scale goodies also. an average laser cut kit for one of nicks planes from precision is around $500 and has all the wood necessary to build the kit and sometimes even a lot of the little hardware pieces.

I dont think you will be dissapointed. if ya have any more questions you can email me at [email protected]

Joe