Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

CALLING ALL PIPER CUBS!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

CALLING ALL PIPER CUBS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CALLING ALL PIPER CUBS!

This is the Hanger Nine 80" span cub that I have been flying since about 1995, I haven't found any documentation for the Japanese markings but still looking. This model has been flown with an Astro-Flight 40 geared electric motor (super gear box) and now flies with a 46 glow engine.

This model is also flown in Control Line scale with electronic controls for throttle control, elevator is the normal 2-line bellcrank

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24219.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	1482744  
Old 08-12-2010, 06:34 AM
BountyHunter51

I thought that I'd throw these in. Army Cub is for a flying buddy and is still under construction, Navy Cub is mine with an 82 Saito. Both are Hangar 9 40 size and based on actual aircraft.
Some really nice Cubs in this thread Keep 'em coming guys.
Cheers! BH

Name:	Mk26367.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1482873  
Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 AM
chevypower1930

ORIGINAL: BountyHunter51

I thought that I'd throw these in. Army Cub is for a flying buddy and is still under construction, Navy Cub is mine with an 82 Saito. Both are Hangar 9 40 size and based on actual aircraft.
Some really nice Cubs in this thread Keep 'em coming guys.
Cheers! BH
Beautiful cubs Bounty, I've been going on a buying frenzy as I'm recovering from surgery and stuck on the couch with a laptop... so I'm dangerous right now and I'm currently on a Cub hunt

This week I've got:
Modded 90 Mph+ Stryker
Mig 29 Profile jet
Finished up my Escapade
Got 4 Spektrum receivers to finish outfitting my planes to 2.4
ordered foam for my first scratch build 3d Foamy (Yak 55) as well as all the components (can't wait for this build)
And a few lipo batteries
Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: clscale-RCU

This is the Hanger Nine 80'' span cub that I have been flying since about 1995, I haven't found any documentation for the Japanese markings but still looking. This model has been flown with an Astro-Flight 40 geared electric motor (super gear box) and now flies with a 46 glow engine.

This model is also flown in Control Line scale with electronic controls for throttle control, elevator is the normal 2-line bellcrank

A CUB is a pretty airplane no matter what 'clothes' it wears! Nice job! I like CL scale, too! Look at my Gallery.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
cavoodle

This is a photo of my 1/4 scale Clipped Wing Piper Cub that I built up from a Sig kit. It is powered with a Saito 125.[img][/img]
[quote]ORIGINAL: ARUP

Name:	Rp44879.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1483494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34689.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1483495  
Old 08-14-2010, 01:25 AM
deadstickdan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cometkid,

Many years ago my Dad and I did a replica of the Flitfire Cub NC1776 using a Great Planes .60 size kit. In searching foro the information I was looking for I got in contact with the Piper Museum in Lockhaven, NJ.

http://www.pipermuseum.com/

They put me in contact with a Harry Mutter who went the extra mile and more in getting me the most information of the Flitfire Cub. I do not know if he is still around or not. I got to know a lot of the Flitfire Brigade and NC1776 especially. Whatever you hear, please be assured that the NC1776 Flifire the first one produced. The markings on that Flitfire were like none of the other. The side of the fuselage had the complete "Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund" spelled out on the fuselage, roundels on the wing and fusealge and wheel pants. the winshield was a 3 piece and it is powered by a Franklin 65 engine. All of the Flitfires were painted Nevada Silver but they had abbreviated lettering like RAF and most others did not have the full wheel pants like NC1776. When I painted mine and did the graphics I had to have a couple of frames of video captured and printed so I could have a sign company copy and cut out the graphics. The hardest ones to do were the small words on the sides of the fuelage between the cowl and windshield. That was a real pain to try to get right. I probaly don't have it exact but it was close enough.
I really like the paint scheme of the Flitfire Cub. It's origin has a lot of history. One other little tidbit of info on the NC1776 registration. For the 1976 Bi-Centennial here in the US, the powers that be in Washington, DC tried to get the NC1776 registration from this Cub to use on Air Force 1 and thankfully the owner of the CUb at that time said no.

Dan

Old 08-14-2010, 05:57 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

This model was purchased from a person getting out of the hobby back in 1990. This model has since been rebuilit and how has the typical yellow color scheme but worth mentiioninig to show the basic paint scheme.. Thisi model has a 71" span and was flown with an Inverted .60 for CL scale.

We never got any documentatioin with the model so I have no idea where he got his information to paint the model.

Name:	Ay76083.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1483911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16332.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1483912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37951.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1483913  
Old 08-14-2010, 07:38 PM
cometkid

ORIGINAL: deadstickdan

cometkid,

Many years ago my Dad and I did a replica of the Flitfire Cub NC1776 using a Great Planes .60 size kit. In searching foro the information I was looking for I got in contact with the Piper Museum in Lockhaven, NJ.

http://www.pipermuseum.com/

They put me in contact with a Harry Mutter who went the extra mile and more in getting me the most information of the Flitfire Cub. I do not know if he is still around or not. I got to know a lot of the Flitfire Brigade and NC1776 especially. Whatever you hear, please be assured that the NC1776 Flifire the first one produced. The markings on that Flitfire were like none of the other. The side of the fuselage had the complete ''Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund'' spelled out on the fuselage, roundels on the wing and fusealge and wheel pants. the winshield was a 3 piece and it is powered by a Franklin 65 engine. All of the Flitfires were painted Nevada Silver but they had abbreviated lettering like RAF and most others did not have the full wheel pants like NC1776. When I painted mine and did the graphics I had to have a couple of frames of video captured and printed so I could have a sign company copy and cut out the graphics. The hardest ones to do were the small words on the sides of the fuelage between the cowl and windshield. That was a real pain to try to get right. I probaly don't have it exact but it was close enough.
I really like the paint scheme of the Flitfire Cub. It's origin has a lot of history. One other little tidbit of info on the NC1776 registration. For the 1976 Bi-Centennial here in the US, the powers that be in Washington, DC tried to get the NC1776 registration from this Cub to use on Air Force 1 and thankfully the owner of the CUb at that time said no.

Dan

Thanks Deadstick! This information is invaluable to me. I'm developing a really nice history of the Flitfire project.
That will be one of my documentation leads. I was lucky enough to get in touch with the curator of the North Carolina Aviation Museum. We'll be working on documenting the special features of NC1776. I will give me a chance to perfect my fiberglass molding skills when I have to duplicate those wheel pants.

Do you have any photos of your model?
Steve
Old 08-14-2010, 08:39 PM
deadstickdan

cometkid,

I had some regular photos but never scanned them. If you can wait a couple of days I will get the plane down and take some photos with my digital camera. A bit more on the FlitFire NC1776. When I was asking for info on this plane through Mr. Mutter, he sent quiet a bit of documentation which included the flight formation and who was piloting each of the Flifire Cubs when they made a flight around the Statue of Liberty. That gathering of FlitFire Cubs was the kick-off of the Fund drive and each Flitfire went home to it's home state to continue the Fund drive.
I found this photo if it will downlaod for you. It's a photo of the real NC1776 where it is currently on display.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/f...-3Flitfire.jpg

And another one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwleslie58/2348419340/

And 1 more which shows the lettering I was refrring to that was a pain.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwlesli...n/photostream/

I had thought of donating my Cub to a museum but I think I'd hate not being able to see it in my garage.

Dan
Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
cometkid

Dan:
That was fun! It took a bit to get the Photobucket photo to download. I am persistent and got all your links to download. A very nice series to help me. I'm getting to this build faster than I ever thought possible.

Would love to see your model. I'm refurbishing my personal Website and will have my models up on it soon. Again, thanks for the great response to my appeal.
Steve
Old 08-15-2010, 12:09 AM
deadstickdan

cometkid,

I'll get the photos of mine on here by this Monday. If you are going to cover yours in a cloth type covering, which I really hope you do, keep in mind the finish of the real Flitflire was not a glossy finish. When they painted the real one originally they never did anything other than paint it and called it good. F &M Entrerprises has Nevada Silver available.

Dan
Old 08-15-2010, 01:19 AM
cometkid

Dan.
A fabric type finish is a given. I am experimenting now with several types and welcome your comments. I'll also check with F&M Enterprises for the Nevada Silver.
Steve
Old 08-15-2010, 03:10 PM
deadstickdan

cometkid,

I thought I had an answer for your wheelpants. Fiberglass Specialties makes wheelpants for the Cub but they are for 1/4 scale which will be a bit too large for the Cub you have. We used Super Coverite on mine and that was very easy to work with. It's a shame they don't make it anymore. Many of the cloth coverings availbale now require a little more work but are worth the effort. Balsa Usa has Solartex which is supposed to be good, F&M Enterprises has cloth covering, Sig has cloth covering and there are more out there to choose from as well.
If you do go with Stits Paint from F & M Entrprises make sure you spray in a well ventilated area. It has a very strong odor. The odor doesn't stick around for a long time but it is very strong initially. It is a very durable paint and is very easy to work with if you follow their instuctions. It is also ready to spray out of the can
Here is a link to F & M:

http://www.stitspolyfiber.com/

Dan
Old 08-15-2010, 11:02 PM
cometkid

Dan,
I'm with you on the Stits fabric products. Another scale modeler is working with me on fabric selection based on what he used on this 1/4 scale WWI models. As I get deeper into this, I may have a build to bring forth.
Steve
Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 PM
deadstickdan

cometkid,

Ok, as promised, here are some pictures of mine. I think I completed this plane somehwere around 1997 or 1998. I have flown it maybe 6 or 7 times. It flies extremely nice and even though it looks like it has a twin engine onit, it doesn't. My Dad made the left side cylinder from scratch to match the right side. First photo is a quick summary of the origin of the Flitfire Cubs

Name:	ki18686.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	1485268   Click image for larger version

Name:	sq47631.jpg
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1485269   Click image for larger version

Name:	vt57146.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	1485270   Click image for larger version

Name:	db86301.jpg
ID:	1485271  
Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM
deadstickdan

More photos of my Flifire

Name:	pn37753.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	1485272   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu62116.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	1485273   Click image for larger version

Name:	ge96124.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	1485274   Click image for larger version

Name:	mj24660.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	1485275   Click image for larger version

Name:	us54966.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	1485276  
Old 08-16-2010, 07:22 PM
deadstickdan

And 1 more set of pics Third pic is a framed photo of the real NC1776 on a take-off roll. and last pic is of mine with the photo of the real one. I think we did ok with mine.

Name:	lj22724.jpg
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	1485277   Click image for larger version

Name:	fd93177.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1485278   Click image for larger version

Name:	sq48017.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	1485279   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu59509.jpg
Views:	42
ID:	1485280  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I dinked in my Sig 1/4 scale Clipped Wing Cub a couple of weeks ago. I will be replacing it with a AMR 33% J-3 Cub. It is a newly released kit. I have had many Cubs over the years and it just doesn't feel right not to have one in the hangar.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 PM
cometkid

Deadstick,
You did more than "OK". Your work is truly impressive.

I am in contact with the Curator of the North Caroline Museum. He's promised to send me digital photos from my list. And brother, is that list detailed! You did a really nice job on the lettering/text on the boot cowl. Callie-Graphics.com is going to be my resource for duplicating the markings of NC1776. Life is good.

I've decided to adapt Pat Tritle's latest 40" span Cub as a warm-up to the 72" Sig kit. As luck would have it, I have a Feigao brushless geared inrunner in my inventory. And my experience with Coverite's Microlite aluminum fabric was a good one. So . . I'm picking the semi-kit from Pat to night. The stars and planets are in the correct alignment. Pat chose to model the repro engine as a Franklin 65.
Steve
Old 08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
deadstickdan

cometkid,

Looks like we share more in common. l like what Pat Trittle has to offer and am looking at getting one of his planes as well. Although it's not a Cub I'm looking at to get from him, it's still a Piper. I'm looking to get the Tri-Pacer he has available. With the photos you get from the museum I'm sure your finished model will be more precise than mine.
One of the first scale planes I ever had was the Sig Cub. I was probably 18 yrs old and my Dad built it. I do remeber him saying that the kit was a lot of work to build. If I were to build another Cub from a kit I would definitely consider Sig's 1/5 scale Cub.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...1Manu_02SIG_01

The bigger size lends itself to easier scale detailing and this version is more up to date with lazer cut parts and would probably be easier to build. When you get your kit from Pat please let me know how it is. That might prompt me to get the Tri Pacer from him sooner.

Dan
Old 11-21-2010, 02:16 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

I'm kind of a Cub nut too. I got a Patrick Super Cub that is the last one they ever sold before going under. I stripped it and added lights all around. I used the Electro Dynamics system which I recomend 100% after using them. I went with the OS 1.60 twin FS for power and added the Keleo scale exhaust. Then covered it with Sig Koverall and dope. It was a fun rebuild and it flys excellent.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:37 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Another one I just finished except for the wing struts (have to order materials). Its a Goldberg finished with Monokote millitary flats. Covering went on real well, given that they changed regular gloss monokote and it sucks. The flat finish feels like teflon. Kind of silky slick. My engine choice was an OS .70 FS Surpass with flex exhaust pipe bent around to the scale exit. Nice flyer.
I am just starting on a BUSA 1/3 Super Cub. Hope to have it going by next summer.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM
5blue

both are nice cubs - Wish they still made the patrick - I would buy one in a minute

Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Planker07

my L4 1/4 scale
Old 11-21-2010, 12:21 PM
RodanAZ

Finished the re-paint of my 1/4 BUSA Cub a while back, but had forgotten about this thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.