Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Cub cowl

Old 03-22-2002, 10:27 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cub cowl

I need help! I have two Cubs one is GP 40 and the other is the Goldberg. I have mounted 4 strokes in both and nowI need to cut out the engine openings for both cowls. Now how the heck am I supposed to get the engine outline ( top down) onto the cowl sides? I have put this off for a long time as I can't seem to find any info or techniques for doing this. Grrrr Cubs don't look right if they are flying with their engines hanging out in the breeze. This has been most frustrating for me as the Goldberg Cub is now on floats and I really need to get this plane as well as the other one ready for the upcoming season. Thanks. Jollyroger
Old 03-23-2002, 06:21 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cub cowl

Jollyroger:
Take a piece of stiff paper about 3"x 6" and cut out the outline
of cyl. head toward one end of the paper. Slip the opening over
the engine and tape the other end to the fuse. Measure the distance from firewall to BACK of prop mounting plate, then remove motor leaving template in place. Now put cowl in place with nose the same distance as prop plate from firewall. Lay template back over cowl and draw opening. Now you have a matching hole. Make sure you have 2 or 4 deg. right thrust on engine. Cubs will not take off straight without it. Downthrust is trial and error so the plane flys level at half or full throttle.