Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
GP cub landing gear problem >

GP cub landing gear problem

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

GP cub landing gear problem

Old 06-17-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP cub landing gear problem

hi
have an GP cub `40
I`m tired of it ,as i make some little harder landing the main gear wires bend back and i have to take it off to fix it.
Does anyone have the same problems? Any suggestions, exept land smoothly.
Thought to make an aluminium landing gear.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:22 PM
IFR
My Feedback: (1)

Been there done that. I tried to find an aluminum gear like they make for their 60 size Cub that would fit the plane but the GP 40 was a strange width. When I was at the Toledo show a few years ago I found a vendor who sold a welded up cub landing gear that fit the GP 40 Cub. Solved all the problems of those worthless wire gears. I don't remember the name of the company but do a search for Cub gear here on rcuniverse since I did post the company's name in another thread sometime last year. If you don't find it let me know and I will dig through my accumulation box and see if I can't find the documentation that came with the gear.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:49 PM

thanks a lot, just what i needed
Old 06-17-2003, 02:32 PM
IFR

Crow
Found the info for the landing gear:
Bob Shattleroe Custom Gear
31985 John Hauk
Garden City, MI 48135

Phone 313/261-9064
Fax 313/261-4242
Old 06-17-2003, 03:10 PM
My Feedback: (50)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone told me he was shutting down for a few months and was moving to GA. I will say his stuff is great. I put a set of alu. Hanger 9 gear on my Goldberg cub. Works great but is a little wider then the cub is.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:27 PM

DanB,
unfortunately i live in the end of the world, there are no use for me of these numbers and addresses. Ordering from states cost twice as much as the item itsself. I have two possibilitys: to make one by myself or keep fixing the old one.
I wish i could get an pic how it should look like maybe even some drawings??

Crow
Old 06-17-2003, 09:08 PM
IFR

Crow
The setup was only around $25.00 US. I would suspect the freight would be fairly high. I will try and take some pictures of the gear for you tomorrow morning and post them in my gallery, the only way I can get a decent sized picture on the post. If there is anything I can do to help you get the part just let me know.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:20 AM
IFR

Crow
I put some pictures of the landing gear in my gallery, just click on the gallery button on the bottom of this post and it will take you there. The set up is made from very ridged music wire and can really take a beating, believe me this poor plane has taken 3 years of my abuse. There is a working spring mechanism under the bungee covers but the covers are tied down so I could not get a picture. I put two strips of ply wood inside the fuse to screw the straps to for a firm hold. Let me know if you need any other pictures.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:54 PM

Thanks a lot DanB
Got a idea of it . Did you use the old gear and welded some more wires. Or is this the set they sell there?
But what about the aluminum thing?

Crow
Old 06-18-2003, 09:33 PM
IFR

Crow
This is how the thing was made. Uses nothing of the old gear. As you can see the gear is held to the bottom of the fuse with nylon straps and spreads the landing load over a much larger area just like an aluminum set up would. I was never able to find an aluminum gear set to fit this fuselage. I did try cutting down a 60 size aluminum gear set to narrow it enough to fit the fuselage but it would just tear loose on anything other than a perfect landing.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:10 PM

DanB
Was that 60 size cub on your pic. What you think , i could use the old gear and brace it behind as yours? Which springs you used, just regular?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:25 PM
IFR

Crow
No it is a 40 size, that is why I tried cutting a 60 size gear down to a 40 size. Wouldn't recommend it as it did not work. You could try as you suggested and weld a back brace to the existing landing gear but you will also need a brace between the two front wires or they will still try to twist and bend as they do now. The spring under the bungee cover is a very heavy duty spring. The cross members that go through the bungee are two pieces with a "T" on the end of each piece fitted inside the spring to hold and work the spring during loading (hope that made since).
Dan
Old 06-22-2003, 11:47 AM

DANB

what is the diameter of the wire you used

crow