Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Scale dummy rotary engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Scale dummy rotary engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 PM
jlrskymaster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scale dummy rotary engine

Building the 1/6 scale BUSA Sopwith Pup, and am looking for a dummy Le Rhone engine to put inside the cowl Cowl diameter is 6.5" and I will powering with an OS .52 4-stroke.

Looked at Wms Brothers, but don't know how I would assemble the cylinders around the my engine, some sort of hollow "ring" I would guess.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:45 AM
caphead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scale dummy rotary engine

hanger 9's sopwith camel 60 arf rotary fit great in my balsa usa bristol m-1 and looks great inside the m1 cowl!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4225
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4234

Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the way I wrapped a Williams Wasp around an OS 91. I did the same thing with a Pilot Nieuport 28 and the Williams LeRhone, but I have no pictures.

Les
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64949.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1193236  
Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 AM
abufletcher

Les, how did you physically attach the dummy engine?
Old 05-06-2009, 03:31 PM
NCIS

It has to have a mount that you can make that is epoxied to the rear of the crankcase and then to the the cowl in the Sopwith Pup. It shouldn't be attached to the engine or it will vibrate apart and also melt from the heat. Im my 1/4 scale Corsair for my Williams brothers Wasp radial I made a 1/8" plywood circle the size of the cowl and then epoxied the engine to it. I cut holes for cooling before I attached it to the cowl with 90 degree brackets that are attached to the cowl either with bolts or you can make a fiberglass sheath for the brackets to slide into and then epoxy the brackets to the sheaths. I did the fiberglass method because I have a fiberglass cowl.

Barry/Gibbs
Old 05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't have a picture handy but I have seen it done where the front half of the cylinder is glued to a plywood plate that fits into the cowl ahead of the engine. The guy who bought Williams Bros seems to be a decent fellow who is trying to keep a small business alive. I've had three sets of wheels, five machine guns and a half dozen of his scale kits, good stuff.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Abu. Rather difficult to describe, and I have no pictures. I took music wire, put a loop in one end and a hook in the other. The hook went into the rear of the engine crankcase, and I put a screw through the loop into the engine mount. This picture was very early in its life, and I eventually had to enlarge the thrust washer hole, and put a rubber "washer" between the thrust washer and engine crankase, but it has lasted, and is still on the plane.

Les