Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Getting into Scale R/C >

Getting into Scale R/C

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Getting into Scale R/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 11:16 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into Scale R/C

Actually, I'm getting back into R/C in general after 25 years! (Anyone interested in a four channel MRC radio and a 27 year old OSMax40?)

I will be "relearning" with a SFM Eindecker ARF. It should be a good intermediate trainer and also give me the tail dragger experience I need.

My real passion is WWI and earlier aircraft. I am a reasonable modeler both in plastic and stick building. My dream project is an R/C version of an AVRO Triplane IV. (A replica is in the Shuttleworth collection, www.shuttleworth.org)

I will probable build a WWI era kit before I tackle that scratch build project but I do have a couple of questions as I start to contemplate the project.

1. Is there a good Internet source for vintage R/C scale for products like hardware and building tip?

2. Are their any good books on the initial designing and planning for a scratch build project? (Matching plane size to engine etc.)

3. What are some good sources for vintage hardware such as bracing materials, wheels, brackets, etc? (I am familiar with Williams Bros.)

4. What are my engine options? This can't be a megabuck project but I'd like to either encapsulate a modern R/C engine to make it pseudo vintage or are there modern R/C motors that vaguely look appropriate. (The AVRO had an in-line motor, not a radial/rotary.)

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the exchanges in this forum!

Salute!
(As we say in our WWI online virtual squadrons but that is stuff for another post.)
Old 06-19-2003, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Getting into Scale R/C

Hey Chevelle, welcome back. I think you will be shocked by the availability of the WW-I equipment.

1. Is there a good Internet source for vintage R/C scale for products like hardware and building tip?;

Yes try these:
http://www.arizonamodels.com/
http://www.aerodromerc.com/
http://www.dpcmodels.homestead.com/
http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/
And although it is primarily a plastic model site it has a great forum and lots of great detailing pictures.

http://www.wwi-models.org/

2. Are their any good books on the initial designing and planning for a scratch build project? (Matching plane size to engine etc.)

Not really

3. What are some good sources for vintage hardware such as bracing materials, wheels, brackets, etc? (I am familiar with Williams Bros.)

See #1 above

4. What are my engine options? This can't be a megabuck project but I'd like to either encapsulate a modern R/C engine to make it pseudo vintage or are there modern R/C motors that vaguely look appropriate. (The AVRO had an in-line motor, not a radial/rotary.)

Engines are single cylinder two and four strokes, gasoline and electric depending on the size of your model. There is a guy on either the WW-I or the ezonmag.com discussion board that is building an AVRO and I believe he's making it electric. He used the old RN models rubber kit as a start and enlarged the plans a kinkos to get the size he wanted.

HTH
Old 06-19-2003, 12:54 PM
My Feedback: (4)

It sounds like you want to get a college education first before jumping in, but the best way to do it is to just jump in. This ain't rocket science (well, maybe it is for those who fly rockets) so just do it.

My personal recommendation based on your interests is to buy the Concept Models 1/4 scale Fleet. It's a great looking WWI biplane, a great kit that will give you all the building experience you need to tackle tougher projects, and it's not that expensive. It will also give you plenty of opportunities to add scale detail as much or as little as you want.
Hang a Q-42 or a G-38 on the front and you'll have an airplane that will make you proud.

I'm not personally into WWI stuff but I know more than a couple of guys who've built them, and I've flown the Fleet and it flys great.

HIghflight
Old 06-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to consider electric. You can do a lot more fine detail, without having to worry about the vibration of an engine. The only caveat, is that you will have to learn electric, and you will find that it is not inexpensive.

Les
Old 06-19-2003, 03:18 PM
My Feedback: (2)

"College Education" LOL!

Ok. I'm an engineer. I guess it is showing

I'll look into all the suggestions. They seem very good!

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:44 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chevelle, Get a Proctor kit to start off with. They are very well engineered and will give you the building skills to design your own models. Do one of the Neiuports or the Eindecker. The Eindecker has wing warping for roll control and lots of rigging and turnbuckles. The initail cost of the kits is not cheap but include almost everything you need to build it. The Eindecker has all the turnbuckles, Williams wheels and Spandau machinegun. Plus its a monoplane so you only have to build one wing. Four-stroke engines are the way to go. A Saito 1.50 would fly the Eindecker just fine. Don