Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

"I wish we had a _ _ _ _ WWI kit!"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

"I wish we had a _ _ _ _ WWI kit!"

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "I wish we had a _ _ _ _ WWI kit!"

So fill in the blank. What WWI (or earlier) subject would you like to see in akit?

Think around 1/6 to 1/4 scale. 1/6 for bigger subjects like two seaters, 1/4 scale for the smaller subjects. The idea being that the planes are large enough to give plenty of opportunities for scale details but small enough so materials are reasonable and transportation is not a nightmare.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:30 PM
denoferth
My Feedback: (71)

Default RE:

I woild like a PZL-11c and a Sopwith Snipe.

Dennis in NH
Old 05-26-2009, 01:47 PM
jtisch

Default RE: RE:

I know someone who would like to see a Breguet bomber. I wouldn't mind seeing a Salmson as well but the Breguet would be easier to hide an engine in. A 1/4 scale Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter would be good, though on the big side. The 1/6 scale Proctor 1-1/2 is a great flyer.

J
Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: denoferth
...and a Sopwith Snipe.
Some wishes do come true!

http://www.cdscaledesigns.com/Englis...e%20Titel.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24049.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1206567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87273.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1206568  
Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
abufletcher

Just in general, more two-seaters!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 PM
abufletcher

At this point in time (and likely to continue into the future) the greatest VARIETY of WWI kits comes from Aerodrome RC for small to medium sized electric models. As a "gas guy" I'm extremely envious of you electric WWI guys!

http://www.aerodromerc.com/

Old 05-27-2009, 06:15 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE:

This is a great subject.

I'd like to see one of the British pushers, especially the RAF FE8. Either that or a good DH2. Other subjects on my list are the Sopwith Dolphin, Martinsyde Elephant, Roland Walfisch or Halberstadt CV. Abu was right about needing more 2-seaters.

papermache

Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 AM
abufletcher

You know, for most WWI models I'd be satisfied with a good set of at least semi-scale ribs and plans that don't deviate from scale outlines. Is that so much to ask?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Chevelle

Default RE:

Oooo.  Papermache hit a magic button.  Pushers are so rarely modeled.  I have been toying with building a DH2 (AZM kit) but I am also considering doing my own scratch design of the DH2, FE8 or the two seater FE2D.

Lots of good suggestions.  I have a list of my own as well that I'll put up later today.

The reason for the post is if I go through the trouble of designing the plane for my own build, I could make it available to others if there was enough interest.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:36 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: Chevelle
but I am also considering doing my ownscratch design of the DH2, FE8 or the two seater FE2D.
I'm also in the "research and resourcing" stage of doing an FE2B or D. Tending towards the B version at the moment. I'd like to stick as closely to scale structure as possible so whatever I end up with will almost certainly not be suitable for kit production. In other words, I'm more interested in building a 1/6 scale FE2B than in designing a 1/6 kit of a FE2B. The two aren't necessarily the same thing.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 AM
semeraro

I second abu's vote for more two seaters. My favorite is the lvg CVI. I also like the two seat albatros c versions and the rumpler and halberstadt... dont think Imissed any. I would like accurate outline and would settle for detailed plans and a set of laser cut parts. 1/6 or even 1/4 scale would be good.

Dave S.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 AM
abufletcher

ORIGINAL: semeraro
I would like accurate outline...
I think as a modeling community we WWI builders need to start insisting on this (with our wallets). Don't buy any plan or kit from a maker who can't tell you the origins of the plan outlines. And if they tell you that the outlines have been changed for "improved flyability" ask'em how do they know it's improved if they haven't build one first with unaltered outlines. And if the designer does make changes, the alterations from an accepted 3-view should be indicated on the plan.

The designers job changes from tranforming the shape of the original aircraft into a model form to solving the nuts and bolts problems of building with our materials and installing radio gear and model engines.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
TFF

Default RE:

Wishing for someone else to make your dream plane?  A line drawn "working " set of plans, not one that has all the details drawn in, is simple to make for these planes because all you need to know is where things meet and the outline.  A pro set of plans would take months to draft, but outline and placement less than a couple of nights per section of the aircraft.  You can get the rib outline to your liking and bulkheads too and have someone else transfer the info to laser if you dont want to hand cut.  Replicraft and WW1 Aero( any others?) are the way to go for accuracy.  If you are going to get rid of half the plane anyway?  Replicraft cant be beat and with some research of what the drawings are, WW1 aero  can be just as good, because  WW1 aero seems to be more of a library with all info, not distilled.  I think the money spent with the more expensive info will easily be offset by fewer mistakes and backtracks to make it right and the frugalness of scratch building.  
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Chevelle

Default RE:

Here is a list that I came up with...

AVRO 504
Bleriot XI
Caudron G3
Hanriot HD1
Maurice Farman SII (Shorthorn)
Airco DH2
RAF FE2
RAF FE8
Siemens-Schuekert D.III
Sopwith Triplane
Vickers FB5
Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
semeraro

Imay be nuts but I have always wanted to build a caproni bomber like the one in theUSair force museum. I think it is a Ca3 or Ca5 or something like that. The NASM has a neat Caudron G4 or G5 bomber that Iwould like to do also. Same sort of look as the caproni. Ithink there was a caudron at the worlds last year. I think either model would make a great "little" electric. They probably dont have enough appeal to be kitted though.

Dave S.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Chevelle

Default RE:

Oh I too thought about the Caproni.  Just something about all those wings!!  Not enough bombers in my mind. 

I visited the NASM recently and spent quite a time gawking at the Caudron G4.  My gosh, those twin spinning propellers are close to the pilot necelle!  From a modeling perspective I thought it to be a tough subject.  Talk about a short moment.  There is so litte in front of the engines I though it would be a nightmare trying to give it the proper balance.  God bless the radial, all that mass so close to the propeller.  Inlines and R/C motors have all that mass pretty far back.  That is probably the greatest challenge to WWI modeling (non-electrics).

So that gets us back to the pusher discussion.  I haven't yet done any serious calculations but it would seem to me that R/C pushers would not suffer from the dreaded tail heavy curse.

Great discussion.  Thanks for supporting the thread.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Reg Hinnant
My Feedback: (9)

Caproni.....??

See

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=603&PN=11

Most of what you have listed is therein a build thread......some by plans, some from their own plans.
Sorry Chevelle, I just reread & saw you were talking about "kits" Yup wish we had more quality kits!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Chevelle

You're very right semeraro. TheAlbatros CIII should definitely be on the list!

(I did see that Caproni build. Wonderful project!)
Old 05-31-2009, 06:06 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE:

Barling Bomber

Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 AM
eagledancer

Default RE:

there are a few i would like to see but in a larger scale
1/4-1/3
FE2B
DH2
salmonson
1/3 spad 7-13
1/3 bristol m1c
1/6 short bomber
i just love them big, something about the way the larger ones fly
Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 AM
abufletcher

I dare someone to build a Short bomber that doesn't need any nose weight!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Chevelle

I agree Abu. I just don't see how the original Short Bomber could ever balance out correctly unless the engine block was made of lead!

Blarling Bomber! And I thought I was interested in obscure subjects. A one off prototype build well after WWI (early 20's) would be a labor of love indeed. Not for me I'm afraid.

I'm a fan of big planes too but 1/4 scale is about max for me. Wing spans under 100" is about my limit. I'd love to do the FE2b but that's just too big for my comfort zone. Transporting becomes a real problem. I hate the idea of going to all the trouble to try to keep to scale but having to design in non-scale stuff to make transporting practical.

As I contemplate the list, I am sort of settling into the AVRO Triplane (a one-off prototype ), the RAF FE8, and the Albatros CIII as kit subjects. None are widely kitted. The FE8 and CIII are reasonably well known in WWI circles and the Triplane gets a "oh yeah" reaction when the movie "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" is brought up. An eclectic mix I think. A pioneering era plane, a WWI Allied scout pusher, and a WWI German two-seater.

If I do go through with these, I would want to design them so that super expert skills are not needed but not at the sacrifice of scale outlines. I am in the process of redesigning the Triplane with that in mind. So far, so good. The wings are EXACTLY scale shape (I know, because I measured the full scale plane myself!) yet it should go together with standard modeling skills. The wing is complete with the hinged spar! (More on the Triplane later and in another post.)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14498.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1209391  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE:

A 1913 Deperdussin racer, with the cowl, the big spinner, and wing-warping...and a very light tail structure, speaking of planes that would be hard to balance!  Actually, I'd be very happy with short kits that just have the hard-to-make parts.

Jim