Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Help with JR X9303

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Help with JR X9303

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 PM
YellowPeril

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with JR X9303

There isn't much traffic on the radio threads so I hoped to get an answer here faster.

I just received my new X9303 and frankly I'm slightly disappointed. I think a lighted display would have been nice and my neck strap holds the radio un level. I can deal without the light but I need the radio level. I see there are neck strap adaptors.

http://www.petenplanes.com.au/jr-spektrum-hitec-radio-control-equipment/jr-dsm-neck-strap-adaptor-silver-genuine-jr/prod_547.html

Will this work or are there any other suggestions.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with JR X9303

There seems to be two types of flyers. The vast majority hold the Tx in their hands and fly with their thumbs (thus, the phrase "dumb thumbs"). The neck cord is just there in case of a slip or for convenience. A small minority however, fly with the sticks held between the tips of their thumbs, index finders (and middle fingers). They claim this gives them much more precise control. Of course, this only works, if the radio is level and absolutely stable and unmoving and for this they use a specialized tray. Among this small minority seem to belong a fair number of top end contest pilots and Europeans.

I suppose it's possible to use the two (or three) finger technique with the radio suspended from a simple neck strap but it doesn't sound like the easiest thing to do.

BTW, when you buy into any expensive "system" (whether camera, stereo, or whatever) you are also always buying into an expensive set of accessories. Personally, I find $26 for a lump of metal a little outrageous. But then I can't really talk...as the owner of a Leica M6TTL.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:20 PM
abufletcher

BTW, the balance issue is apparently because the clip attachment position was originally placed where it was to balance a radio with a long antenna attached. Remove the long antenna and it no longer balances at the same location. Wouldn't a lump of lead on the bottom of the Tx have the same effect?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 PM
blackmonte
My Feedback: (11)

I guess i'm in the minority group. I tend to use my thumb & index finger on the sticks and normally don't use a neck strap but I don't have anything in the hanger where I need 10 or 12 channels and have to flip a bunch of switches. I seem to get a better feel of the stick inputs by using thumb/index finger. Sometimes I use just the thumb on the throttle/rudder, just depends. As far as the lighted display it would be nice I guess but I don't really need it. You could buy a 12x, I think it has lighted display & a hefty price tag.[X(]
Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 AM
abufletcher

Speaking of light and displays, I noticed that on really hot days with the sun beating down, the LCD display on my RDS8000 goes blank, that is to say, all the LCD lines come "on" at the same time. It goes away after a couple of minutes in the shade, but it's a bit of a hassle.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:37 AM
abufletcher

Transmitter trays:

http://www.qualityrcproducts.com/pro...ittertray.html

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/ge...nggadgets.html

http://www.rctraymanusa.com/

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=6467
Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 AM
YellowPeril

I like a neck strap but not the tray idea. I guess my main concern is the neck strap adaptor breaking the transmitter case.

Maybe I could get use to a tray

Old 08-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Abu, that is a normal if annoying thing. To the best of my knowledge all LCD displays will "go blank" if left in the sunlight. I've seen on Futabas, JRs and my own Polk TIII.
Walt
Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
ArrowNaughtic

The X9303 can be backlighted....... I plan on doing mine this coming winter. There is a thread on the "other forum" that has a guy selling the conversion kits with instructions. [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958193]Backlighting a JR X9303 display[/link]

Those offset TX neck strap adapters work quite well, my flying partner has one on his DX7. The only downside I ever read about them is that the bolts come undone if not locktited securely. I have no need for one as I am a "dumb thumber" and even on the sim cannot get comfy using the "pinch" method.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:27 PM
YellowPeril

Yes I saw this site and have thought about trying this myself. Didn’t know he was selling kits. I re-looked at the site but cant find where to get the info on the mod. Can you give me a hint as to which page or a link thanks.

<o></o>

Thanks

Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Apparently you PM him and let him know you are interested.........that thread is quite a few pages deep but possibly first you could PM one of the other posters in that thread and they may divulge more info than I have. I believe the kit is under $50....... Wish I could be more informed but just recently found the thread and am still lurking and going through posts.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 AM
abufletcher

Again, I see a familiar pattern emerging: Buy an expensive "system" and then start acquiring expensive add-ons and expansions, in the endless quest for the "perfect system." I've gone down that path with photography. Had to have the top end Nikon. Then the Leica. Then the $200 grip for the Leica and then the $200 Leica flash, and then the $100 flash diffuser for the Leica flash...oh, yeah, and the perfect ($) strap.

I decided early on that I wouldN'T repeat this with RC equipment. I've got a great $200 radio. With my simple WWI models that's all the radio I'll ever need. And that's already a heck of a lot more sophistication than WWI pilots had to work with.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 AM
YellowPeril

Yes butthe COOL factor??

Heck you might stink as a photographer, but you'll look good out there taking pictures. I might not be able to keep a plane in the air, but boy I sure look like I know what I'm doing, when I get to the field and pull out my JR 12X or 14 channel Futaba.

All kidding aside, for meI wanted a radio that felt good in my hands and that I trusted. I also only wanted 1 radio that I can use to fly everything I have or am thinking of getting (planes and helis). This for me was the JR line of radios. If I only needed to worry about 4 channels then sure I would have a less expensive radio but that's not the case for me so I went middle of the pack with the 9303.I have solved the balance problem with the adaptor and the lighted display will just have to be unlit for now. Other then those two issues I had I do really like this transmitter after messing with it for a while.

The only difference between Men and Boys is the price of their toys. So........... off to the accessory store I go

Old 08-20-2009, 08:45 AM
abufletcher

Your JR radio is a good purchase and will serve your needs well. And really it's not an unreasonable amount of money for a radio you'll (hopefully) use for at least 5 years. One thing I learned from photography though is that in the end, it didn't matter at all which camera I used. When I looked at my "best" photos I noticed that they were pretty much equally distributed across all of the many different cameras I owned from the Leica to a point-and-shoot. In other words, it's not the machine but the person using it.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 AM
YellowPeril

That’s true to a point; however features on the more expensive models in anything make the job at hand easier. That’s not saying I can’t dig a ditch with a shovel but a backhoe sure would be nice to have. I don’t need the best of the best but I do want quality and performance in what I buy. Unfortunately this comes at a $$cost $$ and sometimes that hurts.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM
ArrowNaughtic

abufletcher.......... this backlighting of the display is actually something JR should have integrated into thier x9303's to begin with. Wether inside the house or out in the sun, reading the display on the x9303 is at best a squint and tilt procedure. I know some may consider that bling, but in my particular case with my heavily corrective vision and now having to have reading glasses to read up close I find switching between models at the field to be sometimes a three strikes you're out issue. Backlighting looks to be an affordable (although warranty breaking) modification that I think is justified for me. I am not saying this is everyone's must have mod but for those of us with less than stellar eyesight I find it to be an acceptable risk.

Not trying to be argumentative on this.........just wanted to let you kow my reasoning behind my decision. But I will be honest also......... a lil bling bling on the RC toys does bring ooooohhhs and aaaaahs from the flying field buddys. Ok, so I am caught! Now turn on that backlight so I can comb my hair in rear view mirrow on the way home from the flying field!